why do so many people dislike monsterpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I think older packs didnt have as many overlapping mods. As one guy said above, he got frustrated seeing his neighbor do all the things he did in 1/5th the time. This shouldnt bother people, but we are only human and we all have egos and jealousy, etc.

look at a pack like MF2, if you want to process ores its just te3, right? So everyone who goes the tech route has about the same choice. TC4 is pretty well balanced mod. no auto mining except the late game laser drill, correct?

So you wont have one person strugglin with rotary craft while another sets up quarries and some te3 stuff and starts rolling in ores with an ae system bragging his stockpiles up with monitors for everyone to see when they stop by. I know, it shouldnt work like this, but it does for a lot of players. One guy has 50k Iron, while aother guy says 'hey do i grease up this rotarycraft thingy again or not?' Or whatever.

Monster, to me, is the furthest thing from MF2 or the older packs, which WERE more balanced than it is. people say we shouldnt care about balance, but i think only older players sstop caring so much. You cant talk about how many pulverizer vs macerator arguments were posted here and then claim no one cares about balance. ;) And.. its fun to discuss which item is more efficient, or better used in certain applications, or why it works better for your playstyle. All games attempt balance. Diamond swords do more damage than iron, but its harder to make them as the resource is scarcer. Balance.

The bigger packs get, and the more you have mods that arent old, long time mods that were designed *somewhat* with each other in mind (forestry, ic2, te, buildcraft) the more imbalances you will see, and the more youll see comments like the guy above, who got angry that he did a ton of work and didnt really get anything for it compared to his friend.

Then you have a pack like MF2 which does have balance in mind, and its pretty popular and gaining popularity id say. more and mor epeople talk about it now. If it didnt have the word Magic in the title, id think it would have done really well, anyone like me just ignored it when it came out assuming it was a magic themed pack only.

I think if somoene made a tech pack with balance as a goal like MF2 did, it would be immensely popular here. But for months anyone mentioning balance was laughed at... and yet now a pack did just that, and has people really excited again.

MF2 Ore processing:

Smeltery: Tier 2 tech... its more complicated to automate , needs space
Pulverizers: Tier 3 tech easier automation
MFR Block Smasher: Acts like a fortune pick, not hard to get or use but is luck based for ore multiplication and use XP for the fortune effect. Processes ores in inventory.
AE Grinder: Tier 1 tech Only works on lower tier ores like copper and tin, cannot be automated, easy to get.

Auto Mining:
Laser Drill: Complex infrastructure needed. Massive power requirements. Needs tuning to get good ore drops. Small foot print but watch out for the laser it bites.
Ender Quarry: Tier 5 tech , needs a decent amount of setup in laying out the fence boundaries by the time you have one of these you have mined enough ore by hand that you have earned a break. :p

There's still some redundancy in MF2 but I prefer the choices have pros and cons and that a higher tech tier machine offer a bonus for upgrading like easier automation. In MF2 machines in Tier 1 can't be automated Tier 2 can be with a decent amount of work Tier 3 is easy to automate and Tier 4 and up pretty much automate themselves.

I think where the conflict in a lot of packs come from is leaving all the machines at close to the same tech level. That leads to people griping about cheaper and balance etc.

Reactions: zorn and Padfoote

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
A perfect example for me is nether lava: I refuse to use nether lava to generate power unless I'm carrying it back and forth in buckets. But it bugs me that I know I CAN use it if I really need to. I'd be a happier player if I could flip a switch that prevented any mass transportation of nether lava (via ender tanks/tesseracts/etc) because it would make my experience and success feel a bit more legitimate.

You're not completely refusing it then. I know that sounds sort of pretentious but as long as you still see it as an option that could be done you won't be able to move on past it in an enjoyable way. It takes quite a bit of control but it's very possible. I do it with AE. It is never a possible option in my book; it simply doesn't exist.

Reactions: midi_sec

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I think everyone enjoys the various "challenges" minecraft can present them, whether its an aesthetic building challenge or a technological one. But if one really enjoys a tech progression challenge, then it doesn't feel "real" if the only thing keeping one from success is a "self control" measure.

A perfect example for me is nether lava: I refuse to use nether lava to generate power unless I'm carrying it back and forth in buckets. But it bugs me that I know I CAN use it if I really need to. I'd be a happier player if I could flip a switch that prevented any mass transportation of nether lava (via ender tanks/tesseracts/etc) because it would make my experience and success feel a bit more legitimate.

:)[DOUBLEPOST=1393614835][/DOUBLEPOST]

You can. Both Extra Utilities and BC allow you to blacklist dimensions for their pumps. So you can make it so lava can only be pumped from overworld pools.

Reactions: Pyure

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
for me, i got to a point where i had done the sc2 farm -> boiler shuffle one too many times. if you let yourself fall into a rut when you play minecraft, it's very hard to get out. everybody talks about efficiency, but really, in this case all efficiency is a reason for some people to not use their creativity...and if you don't use your creativity in modded, growth stagnates, new cross mod methods aren't developed and improved upon, and so on.

keep an open mind, i guess is what i'm trying to say. there's always somebody who does it first, and there's a lot of cool mods on the horizon.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
since each mod added adds 1 + (# of total mods) interactions, the difficulty of balancing actually slopes more or less exponentially. Megasadface.

Number of combination interactions between mods in the average modpack based on the 137 we have in configs vs the avg 100 in a pack = 3,902,541,575,254,646,835,963,436,276,286,280. This assumes each mod only has 1 interaction that can go wrong with each of the other 137 mods. It can be shortened to 3.90254157e+33 thats over 3 decillion possible interactions :p

pronounciation

three decillion ,
nine hundred two nonillion ,
five hundred forty one octillion ,
five hundred seventy five septillion ,
two hundred fifty four sextillion ,
six hundred forty six quintillion ,
eight hundred thirty five quadrillion ,
nine hundred sixty three trillion ,
four hundred thirty six billion ,
two hundred seventy six million ,
two hundred eighty six thousand ,
two hundred eighty

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
three decillion ,
two hundred eighty

excellent. it sounds like you guys have a handle on this "balance" "problem" ;)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Number of combination interactions between mods in the average modpack based on the 137 we have in configs vs the avg 100 in a pack = 3,902,541,575,254,646,835,963,436,276,286,280. This assumes each mod only has 1 interaction that can go wrong with each of the other 137 mods. It can be shortened to 3.90254157e+33 thats over 3 decillion possible interactions :p

pronounciation

three decillion ,
two hundred eighty
Well, I hope you calculated that in your head :p

Looks almost like a coded version of this weeks winning lottery ticket, time to break that code!

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Monster is the best pack ever. I can do whatever I want, the way I want. I have 4 auto-mining solutions currently in my world, each one getting just a bit of resources. This is heaven.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You're not completely refusing it then. I know that sounds sort of pretentious but as long as you still see it as an option that could be done you won't be able to move on past it in an enjoyable way. It takes quite a bit of control but it's very possible. I do it with AE. It is never a possible option in my book; it simply doesn't exist.
My point was that I have a specific concern (infinite lava generation), not that I want to weed out a mechanic (lava generation) entirely :) But I agree that there are folks with strong mental fortitude who can just "forget" about mechanics they don't want to abuse/