Why Do People Always Build Boxes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Whether its a 9x9 or a 32x16, you are still building an ugly box. (Before I get into this, by box I mean 4 sided). Even if you slap a nice beautiful roof on that sucker, the interior is still a big bland box. Why do people never add angles into their creation to give their boring house some pizazz? Angles are too hard to work with, and you could also do curves! I tried to live in a big cylinder on its side once, and it worked great, the natural shape of the building gave places to hide wiring and have the feeling of depth. So this thread is, a motivational thread, question thread, and of you would like to share a none boxy house, please do. If you do have a big box house, give it a curvy add-on or a done roof, just because this is minecraft doesn't mean you can't be creative. Enjoy your day.

Ask me about a 1.6.2 modded server.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Only 1 in 10 people have artistic skills to build outside the box :D

75% of statistics are made up o_O

I've built lots of houses but they are all copies from somewhere, someone else has done and posted to the interweb.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Only 1 in 10 people have artistic skills to build outside the box :D

75% of statistics are made up o_O
But they are playing minecraft, a designing game! All you have to do it add a pyramid on wall and you have some uniqueness.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I do it because it's more functional. If I build in a pyramid (like a desert temple), the edges are always in the wrong place for the machines, and then, if you want an upstairs, there's no room, and skylight's are a pain. It is purely a personal choice, but I prefer to go with function over form.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Because some people focus on survival first, and then when they are set for life, are too settled in, they can't be bothered setting up a proper base. Plus pyramids are bad as well.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
because sometimes you can make that box look amazing. My base is (other than the entrance, which is a circle) a series of lots of boxes linked by a big long rectangular box... and I'm happier with this base than I have been with anything else I've ever built in minecraft

StaticPixel

Jul 29, 2019
I just build a Box so there is room for automation and machines. If you add too many things to your house you won't have any wall space or room

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
I usually only build boxes when I need something to be modular. Once I have everything set up, then shit gets real.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
One thing I strongly dislike, is when form takes precedence over function. And not just in Minecraft.

That's why I take my 31x45 boiler room over some crammed multi-colored cottage with a pool any day of the week. :)

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
I'm not really that creative, building-wise. I just make tetromino-shaped houses. Usually the L block. Function over looks, and that!

Kinda wish I was good at building things, though. This is my best work. Hm.

Reactions: Dante12129

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
I have a tendancy to build a box and put my stuff in it to start with, then if I chose to make it look nice later on I will build something nice looking around the box so that the inside is a box and nice shaped for sticking stuff in. But the outside appearance is not so boring.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
I build 9x9's for the modular feel. Each room has it's own theme and the entire structure is infinitely expandable.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Conguy97 show us a couple of houses you build as example, I'm one of the function over form guys. And minecraft is not just a design game. There is survival and then the tech side to make stuff work together and get as automated as possible.
Watch the community showcase thread in around 8 hours and I can upload some pictures. :)

zedkar

Jul 29, 2019
gLLGyfO.png

Above ground, i always like to be nice, underground i do all the dirty stuff :D All my houses are in 16 x 16 square, I try to design new stuff each time (the house and interior design), I try to add new things to my house all the time, to look more amazing and in the way i like it.

9x9 it's easy at beginning and after you don't really want to move all your stuff around.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
In Early - mid game I can't be bothered with silly things like making things pretty, Ain't nobody got time for dat! Once I get settled in and start getting closer to "end-game" (if there is such a thing) and have the mats/infrastructure to do a cool looking mega-build, then and only then do I ask "does this look good?"

No, No, and for the last time, NO! Try Here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/categories/server-promotion.81/

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
this time I really didn't wanna do "just a box" so it took me 4 days to find just the right place to build. I had an idea in mind see, and so far, all my boxes are looking pretty nice