Why Do People Always Build Boxes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, that's deep, man.

Anyway, I always decide on a new style of build every world I make. Currently, I'm living inside a cave, with little to no modifications, but I soon plan to turn it into a mine, so I'll use a lot of wood. On other worlds (namely, the single chunk challenge, which ended up with a giant mage tower made out of blood-stained fitted bricks, quarried fitted bricks and frost fitted bricks, the ravine base, which used a lot of drawbridges - actually quite fun, and CC is amazing at making a cheaper PRC - and the spaceship repair station), I always try to build something with a theme or a challenge. The ravine ended up like a dwarven base, the single chunk, a square tower, the spaceship repair station was like a mix between the Enterprise, the TARDIS and the Death Star, just square. The craziest part? They were all essentially boxes. There's no need to be overly fancy. The single chunk ended up being a challenge material-wise. The repair station was hard to build. But they were better than most of my non-box bases.
The problem is not it being a box.
Is what you do with that box.
And creativity can turn a box into something exciting.
After all, didn't you toy around with a box of something (just the box) when you were a kid?
That reminds me of that episode of spongebob lol

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Hows this for a building concept, build a cobble box but build all of your machines storage and everything outside of the box, and when people ask insist that they must think outside the box.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
well its just a simple geometrical shape, not interesting or eye catching, Go look at Etho's videos, look for his shop on the mindcrack server, now that is original and creative
I know what his potion factory looks like. And that is purely amazing. Remember, the propose of me posting these is for you to help me become better so thank you for helping me :)

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Another reason of boxines is that it's nearly always optimal shape. Biggest area that can be contained by given amount of wall blocks is a box, for example. And mods also usually encourage using boxes and squares. Multifarms from Forestry is a very rare exception. And maybe nukes in IC2, if you use them for clearing space for your underground base.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Now I want to contradict my earlier post: I like to experiment with interesting shapes (when I'm in the mood for doing so), but they always either look crap or give no convenient space for machines (usually both). Boxes circumvent the second problem, while carrying the advantage of not requiring effort.

MichaelAbbott

Jul 29, 2019
When I start a new world or on a new server my main thing to do just out of habit is gather some materials and dig down to bedrock and make a 16x16x5 (I cover in all the holes in the walls that were minerals and patches in the ceiling that were gravel, too) where I put my first machines and chests. When, and only when, I have enough materials to build what I consider a fancy house, do I venture to the surface, building my house on the chunk where I lived at bedrock, and when I have a quarry I'll build it under the house and dig back all the way to bedrock. Then I'll use that basement for all my machinery.

My houses are nearly always L shaped, made mostly out of wood with some leaves outside, stone and lamps/lighting inside and multi-coloured walk-ways using stone materials like basalt and marble. I'm not the best architect but I'd like to think my houses aren't bad to look at.. Never really took the effort to learn about making stuff look nice inside. But I don't care much for that. (Would have pictures but err, HDD crashes and the like only just started a new world.. :( )

What I'm trying to say it, I build L shaped multi-height room houses with some kinda porch or conservatory, and my houses still look worse than some boxes. I think your point about boxes is largely invalid.