What's new in modded minecraft today?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh right, but with my OCD personality when it comes to my MC builds it would come out as the same thing :p Wouldn't want to build in a flawed world :p

Aye, most of what's kept me from pushing Monster stable has honestly been the newer mods added to the FTB roster and wanting to get random crash issues and some exploits worked out. A couple even had rewrites that broke some things. I wanted to push to 1.1.0 over a month ago, but something inevitably always cropped up.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure what the heck Eyamaz is up to, but 1.6 is actually quite stable. I had one world reset in all of 1.6 and that was when we changed our worldgen to use CoFH Core instead of Metallurgy. FYI, I've added maybe 25 mods since then.

Seriously, this is modded MC. "Stability" is not something you will find anymore.

Funnily enough, FTB Lite 2, Magic Farm 2 are pretty stable. Horizons is even reasonably stable.

The problem packs are the ones Eyamaz and I didn't get much if any say on. We were given a list of mods and told to make them work as a pack. The packs that stabilized the fastest are the ones where Eyamaz and I got to pick all the mods and adjust configs for compatibility. So please stop blaming us for doing the best we can with a mod list we didn't pick.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Very stable, yes. In my experience, Magic Farm 2 is more stable than 1.4.7 (Ultimate) and 1.5.2 (DW20, Unleashed).

No world corruption. No server crashes, and only a few client crashes.
A living hell, but stable? Magic Farm 2 never seems to be uninteresting.

Also @Jadedcat since TCon has an option to make vanilla tools all but useless but at least craftable, will the pack be dropping a lot of its Minetweaker recipe changes?(IIRC it has plenty of recipes for things that aren't craftable due to vanilla tools being vanished)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
A living hell, but stable? Magic Farm 2 never seems to be uninteresting.

Also @Jadedcat since TCon has an option to make vanilla tools all but useless but at least craftable, will the pack be dropping a lot of its Minetweaker recipe changes?(IIRC it has plenty of recipes for things that aren't craftable due to vanilla tools being vanished)

No the vanilla tools were reenabled quite some time ago. The recipe tweaks are part of the living hell :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
new day, new update, with an awesome update from @dan200 for Computercraft
please do note, this is a public beta release, so expect some bugs flying towards you.
Dan200 said:
New Features in ComputerCraft 1.6:
  • Added Pocket Computers
  • Added a multi-tasking system for Advanced Computers and Turtles
  • Turtles can now swap out their tools and peripherals at runtime
  • Turtles can now carry two tools or peripherals at once in any combination
  • Added a configurable fuel limit for Turtles
  • Added hostnames, protocols and long distance routing to the rednet API
  • Added a peer-to-peer chat program to demonstrate new rednet capabilities
  • File system commands in the shell now accept wildcard arguments
  • The shell now accepts long arguments in quotes
  • Terminal redirection now no longer uses a stack-based system. Instead: term.current() gets the current terminal object and term.redirect() replaces it. term.restore() has been removed.
  • Added a new Windowing API for addressing sub-areas of the terminal
  • New programs: fg, bg, multishell, chat, repeat, redstone
  • Improved programs: copy, move, delete, rename, paint, shell
  • Removed programs: redset, redprobe, redpulse
  • New APIs: window, multishell
  • New turtle functions: turtle.equipLeft() and turtle.equipRight()
  • New peripheral functions: peripheral.find()
  • New rednet functions: rednet.host( protocol, hostname ), rednet.unhost( protocol ), rednet.locate( protocol, [hostname] )
  • New fs function: fs.find( wildcard )
  • Improved rednet functions: rednet.send(), rednet.broadcast() and rednet.receive() now take optional protocol parameters
  • turtle.craft(0) and turtle.refuel(0) now return true if there is a valid recipe or fuel item, but do not craft of refuel anything
  • turtle.suck( [limit] ) can now be used to limit the number of items picked up
  • textutils.serialise( text ) now produces human-readable output
  • Refactored most of the codebase and fixed many old bugs and instabilities, turtles should never ever lose their content now
  • Fixed the "turtle_inventory" event firing when it shouldn't have
  • Added error messages to many more turtle functions after they return false
  • Documented all new programs and API changes in the "help" system

and a few fixes from @Reika for DragonAPI and RotaryCraft
Reika said:
V18b:
  • DragonAPI: Fixed factorization crash on load
  • RotaryCraft: Improved power transport FPS

V18c:
  • Fixed API packaging

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I could not agree more !

Indeed, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to make a monolithic pack that is both:
  • all-inclusive
  • balanced
...for the simple reason that not all mods are designed with all other mods in balance. There will inevitably cross-mod "exploits" as not all mods agree on what the checkpoints and scarce resources should be.

More practically speaking, some mods don't have the knobs and levers (config options) to make them balanced without eviscerating them (removing blocks, drastically altering recipes, etc.,.) or disabling/removing them entirely, which goes against the "all-inclusive" requirement.

Lately, I've been finding far more enjoyment in themed packs that do a few things and do them well. MF2 is a good example.

And, speaking of MF2, I've seen the amount of work and time @Jadedcat has put into this pack to get it where it's at. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darned good in terms of balance, consistent gameplay experience, and bugs. I can't imagine the amount of time and work it would take to even *attempt* to get Monster as polished, should such a task be possible.
I may be a bit biased, but I believe my Omega Dawn mod pack has nearly "everything" and is balanced (to my ideals). (Big mods it includes are Mekanism, TE3, Thaumcraft, AM2, ProjectRed, Buildcraft, Forestry, MFR, MFFS, ICBM (150ish) mods loaded)). All works nicely and is very stable.
It's possible, but needs a lot of config tweaking.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
If I play FTB Unstable it'll be quite an interesting experience.

Who says random crashes and world corruption can't be fun? :D

Reactions: Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Is 1.7 so unstable that 11 mods make it crash alot?

it's better to release a new pack as a beta instead of an official release, as a public released modpack might always bring forth new problems that weren't happening before