What's new in modded minecraft today?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
RotaryCraft, Ars Magica and UE core.
MFFS requires UE Core and people like MFFS, especially Direwolf20 who once asked for a modpack update just for one MFFS update.
Hmm problematic indeed. Specially since both RotaryCraft and MFFS adds worldgen(Not sure if AM does as well, never played with it), so we cant just have them removed and then get them back once the problems have been fixed. Unless you can retrogen the ore?

About MFFS, I must admit I am in the boat of people who don't really understand why it is in the packs by default unless it was a very light and problem free mod. Its uses seems to be extremely situational and only really useful on a pvp enabled server(in which case the pack would probably be modified to meet the pvp criteria anyway and MFFS could just have been added then). Only use I have ever had of it have been feeding those damn Forcicium to the Mass Fabricator :p

In terms of RotaryCraft, it is a very intriguing mod that I look forward to playing with a lot. But if it is a contributing factor to holding back Monster, then I must admit I would rather have a stable Monster now and then wait to have Rotary craft added later when the bugs had been ironed out if that was at all possible with retrogen etc.

For me playing a pack that has a great chance of wrecking my world in a near future upgrade is a big no. So if there was a choice of:
  • Getting a stable pack now but not getting those 2 mods until later.
or
  • Not playing the pack at all while waiting for those 2 mods.
, then the choice is rather obvious to me(despite how much I would love to have the mods).

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
How would removing UE core upset people? Its only used for a handful of mods and RF seems to be the preferred power system.

Sigh. All UE mods are compatible with RF. I probably wouldn't use them if they weren't. Also there are a large number of people who are fond of MFFS - although more packs shuld include things like ICBM, Resonant Induction and ANd Atomic Science.

About MFFS, I must admit I am in the boat of people who don't really understand why it is in the packs by default unless it was a very light and problem free mod. Its uses seems to be extremely situational and only really useful on a pvp enabled server(in which case the pack would probably be modified to meet the pvp criteria anyway and MFFS could just have been added then). Only use I have ever had of it have been feeding those damn Forcicium to the Mass Fabricator

MFFS is a lot more than Forcefields now. I can tell you haven't used it in a while because you mentioned focicium. It now functions as a substitute for RedPower frames and can teleport blocks. Have you ever seen an MFFS tunnel bore. There are lots of uses for MFFS outside of PVP.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
MFFS is a lot more than Forcefields now. I can tell you haven't used it in a while because you mentioned focicium. It now functions as a substitute for RedPower frames and can teleport blocks. Have you ever seen an MFFS tunnel bore. There are lots of uses for MFFS outside of PVP.
Ahh right, no didn't know that :p I havent really played with anything 1.6 as I am still waiting for the 1.6 packs to become stable...

And the wikis seem to be quite outdated :/ Possibly the guys updating the wikis are also waiting? :p

But still, I would rather have 1 modpack -2 mods, than 0 modpack

Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh right, no didn't know that :p I havent really played with anything 1.6 as I am still waiting for the 1.6 packs to become stable...

And the wikis seem to be quite outdated :/ Possibly the guys updating the wikis are also waiting? :p

Try Calclavia's wikis. They have plenty of detail. I'm not really sure how much I trust the numerous FTB wikis.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm problematic indeed. Specially since both RotaryCraft and MFFS adds worldgen(Not sure if AM does as well, never played with it), so we cant just have them removed and then get them back once the problems have been fixed. Unless you can retrogen the ore?

About MFFS, I must admit I am in the boat of people who don't really understand why it is in the packs by default unless it was a very light and problem free mod. Its uses seems to be extremely situational and only really useful on a pvp enabled server(in which case the pack would probably be modified to meet the pvp criteria anyway and MFFS could just have been added then). Only use I have ever had of it have been feeding those damn Forcicium to the Mass Fabricator :p

In terms of RotaryCraft, it is a very intriguing mod that I look forward to playing with a lot. But if it is a contributing factor to holding back Monster, then I must admit I would rather have a stable Monster now and then wait to have Rotary craft added later when the bugs had been ironed out if that was at all possible with retrogen etc.

For me playing a pack that has a great chance of wrecking my world in a near future upgrade is a big no. So if there was a choice of:
  • Getting a stable pack now but not getting those 2 mods until later.
or
  • Not playing the pack at all while waiting for those 2 mods.
, then the choice is rather obvious to me(despite how much I would love to have the mods).
Ironically, only AM2 adds world gen out of those 3.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ironically, only AM2 adds world gen out of those 3.
Ahh right lol. No problem for Monster then. Take out RC and MFFS TEMPORARILY! then and call it stable? And put an end to the.. what? 3-4 months wait it has now been.

Then when they are ready they could be added in again. If they continue to cause trouble the version without them could continue to remain the recommended version until it is fixed.

At least there would be a pack then, the other mods would get some exposure, wikis etc could be updated as more players gathered info.

Johnson

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the same boat of removing the problem mods and re-add later once they are fixed. Right now RotaryCraft is probably the worst offender of CPU usage on my server. Using a java profiler, RotaryCraft is roughly 10-12% of our CPU usage alone, closely followed by EnderIO(conduits).

Reactions: Jadedcat

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of mods aren't even working on 1.6 anymore. Stability is ephemeral in the mod world. Just jump in. Right now folks are working on 1.7. 1.6 Packs are about as stable as they can be.

No sarcasm should be inferred, just bluntness.

Reactions: MigukNamja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A lot of mods aren't even working on 1.6 anymore. Stability is ephemeral in the mod world. Just jump in. Right now folks are working on 1.7. 1.6 Packs are about as stable as they can be.

No sarcasm should be inferred, just bluntness.
Yes in terms of random breakdowns. I am not that concerned about those. I am more concerned about Eyamaz suddenly needing to do something that requires a world reset in the middle of a major project of mine. He has already stated that the next update would require a world restart. So no thanks, not going to jump into anything right now.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/monster-1-0-11-jar-error-fix.41898/page-3#post-575319

Reactions: RedBoss

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the same boat of removing the problem mods and re-add later once they are fixed. Right now RotaryCraft is probably the worst offender of CPU usage on my server. Using a java profiler, RotaryCraft is roughly 10-12% of our CPU usage alone, closely followed by EnderIO(conduits).

Are you running the latest versions of RotaryCraft and EnderIO? Recently both mods have seen performance improvements.

Reactions: Padfoote

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Yes in terms of random breakdowns. I am not that concerned about those. I am more concerned about Eyamaz suddenly needing to do something that requires a world reset in the middle of a major project of mine. He has already stated that the next update would require a world restart. So no thanks, not going to jump into anything right now.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/monster-1-0-11-jar-error-fix.41898/page-3#post-575319
Not sure what the heck Eyamaz is up to, but 1.6 is actually quite stable. I had one world reset in all of 1.6 and that was when we changed our worldgen to use CoFH Core instead of Metallurgy. FYI, I've added maybe 25 mods since then.

Seriously, this is modded MC. "Stability" is not something you will find anymore.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019

But still, I would rather have 1 modpack -2 mods, than 0 modpack
Seriously? 1.7 packs might be out before 1.6 ones become stable XD

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not sure what the heck Eyamaz is up to, but 1.6 is actually quite stable. I had one world reset in all of 1.6 and that was when we changed our worldgen to use CoFH Core instead of Metallurgy. FYI, I've added maybe 25 mods since then.

Seriously, this is modded MC. "Stability" is not something you will find anymore.
Thats great and all, if you would spend the time getting permissions, doing bugfixing, getting hosting and all that and make a modpack for me of the same quality of that which the FTB team makes. I do not have the skills or the interest in doing so, so I have to wait for someone more qualified to do it for me.

And sure, you can probably throw together a bunch of mods and it would be good enough for your own private server. But if you start making modpacks for other people there is a hell of a lot more work involved than fixing item IDs(which you probably used the FTB teams work for) and altering a few configs.

Seriously? 1.7 packs might be out before 1.6 ones become stable XD

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yeah, sadly that might be the case if we keep waiting for a few unstable mods.

Reactions: kaovalin

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Thats great and all, if you would spend the time getting permissions, doing bugfixing, getting hosting and all that and make a modpack for me of the same quality of that which the FTB team makes. I do not have the skills or the interest in doing so, so I have to wait for someone more qualified to do it for me.

And sure, you can probably throw together a bunch of mods and it would be good enough for your own private server. But if you start making modpacks for other people there is a hell of a lot more work involved than fixing item IDs(which you probably used the FTB teams work for) and altering a few configs..
I'm using a public and relatively popular modpack that isn't FTB. I'm saying that while FTB packs may be unstable (by FTB packs I mean Monster, and that's debatable), 1.6 as a whole is very, very stable. If you are using one of the few mods that is still unstable that's on you.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I never said you couldn't update your world to the next version, I said I'm not supporting it. I will never support anything beta moving out of beta. The next Monster release is 1.1.0.
Ahh right, but with my OCD personality when it comes to my MC builds it would come out as the same thing :p Wouldn't want to build in a flawed world :p

Reactions: Eyamaz