What's new in modded minecraft today?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Can't please everyone. If half the crowd loves complicated tech, and the other half likes simplicity, someone's gonna be sad at the end of the day.
You're 100%, but your point is unrelated to mine. I was saying that they're just adding things that are already in other mods and appear frequently (barrels!!!). This is what was happening to IC2 that displeased me and that's why I dropped IC2 in 1.5 (pre-experimental changes).

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on the mod- some mods have "vision", a gameplay experience they are designed around, and can't just be forced into any modpack. Configuration is still great, since it allows different gameplay experiences to co-exist, but some mod just aren't made, for a good reason, to be in every modpack.

Of course, if you're new to the mod or don't want to mess anything by being incompetent(like me), changing the configs doesn't mean you'll get the game you will enjoy.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
According to one of the testers on reddit the auto-eject, redstone control and reconfigurable sides upgrades come as standard.
As long as this is true, I welcome the upgrades, I reckon these things are useful on just about every machine every time (the redstone/sides/auto-eject). Always wanted faster TE machines, now I have a reason to make awesome amounts of RF

You're 100%, but your point is unrelated to mine. I was saying that they're just adding things that are already in other mods and appear frequently (barrels!!!).
Well, TE already did that to begin with, so meh - It's the implementation and simplicity (usually) that draws players to it.

Reactions: Skyqula

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
While I firmly believe this as well, you'd be surprised at how many people will make threads on "omg halpz pls wherez redstones controlz on dem TE4 machines?" I think it Immibis's sig that has a quote "90% of people won't see your configs. 95% of people won't change them."
Agreed. As a developer however, I have a fondness for those 5% :)

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
hory shet unicorn :eek:
Did someone say unicorn?

nVrkhez.png

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
While I firmly believe this as well, you'd be surprised at how many people will make threads on "omg halpz pls wherez redstones controlz on dem TE4 machines?" I think it Immibis's sig that has a quote "90% of people won't see your configs. 95% of people won't change them."

In my opinion, people should use modpacks more instead of trying to make their own. Modify an existing modpack closest to your vision instead.

That depends on the mod- some mods have "vision", a gameplay experience they are designed around, and can't just be forced into any modpack. Configuration is still great, since it allows different gameplay experiences to co-exist, but some mod just aren't made, for a good reason, to be in every modpack.

That's true for some mods, like Botania, but for most mods configurability should be taken into account.

Agreed. As a developer however, I have a fondness for those 5% :)

Remember: Good documentation is paramount.

Okay, no more topic derailing, Computronics got an update to 0.5.2!

• ADDED: EEPROM readers! Only active when NedoComputers is also installed, they let you read from and write to initialized NedoComputers EEPROMs.
  • ADDED: RedLogic lamps as peripherals! Because why not?
  • CHANGED: Iron Note Blocks now use the block under them for choosing the default instrument, instead of hardcoding a single instrument.
  • FIXED: Iron Note Blocks now emit Forge events for noteblocks. Sometimes.
  • FIXED: Cameras should now work a little bit better. They're still broken for distanceUp() and distanceDown(), but at least should not break for distance().

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Meh. I supposed I've been around enough to feel confident I'm making my own modpack. I find there's little middle ground anymore. You have lite packs which are kinda boring, themed packs that either tell you what to do or change everything so much that you need a new wiki, or Golden Corral buffet packs with all the things in them.

What I WILL do is take configs from a pack and make my own.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Meh. I supposed I've been around enough to feel confident I'm making my own modpack. I find there's little middle ground anymore. You have lite packs which are kinda boring, themed packs that either tell you what to do or change everything so much that you need a new wiki, or Golden Corral buffet packs with all the things in them.

What I WILL do is take configs from a pack and make my own.

Same here, sir. I'll take a stock mod-pack and tweak it. It's really not that hard these days with good configs becoming more the norm (Thank you, mod-makers !) and MineTweaker (huge thanks !).

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ill be honest, I dont like what I see. Looks like more tedious steps and no more simple machines.
Well, let's wait until we can get our grubby mits on the mod. KL & team tend to do "the right thing" taking into account what they want and what the community would like. I'm sure there will be config options to keep the "simple machines" but without any upgrade benefits, or to use the full upgrade system.
I'm in the camp that the machines shouldn't have any extra upgrades at start, you have to add them. Means I can now use the cheaper recipe options (or not, depending on the new recipes), since more of the cost to the machines will be in the upgrades.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm quite pleased with the tiering shown in TE4. One of the biggest complaints I heard was the lack of real tiering to the machines and this inclusion should please some of those who requested more structure.
Agreed. I love the teaser videos.

Remember when the dynamos rolled out and everyone was screaming, "ohnoes, they all output the same thing"...this should go a long way towards addressing that.

Reactions: SynfulChaot