What is/were the reason's people don't like xycraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Tanks are too delicate. With that electric drill, overclocked with efficiency IV. Is like creative, but in survival. Even without EE and Dartcraft.

2ez2lose16buckets.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
So apparently I forgot to include the spaces you need between iron tanks.
A large array of 7x7x8 iron tanks stores 10.89 buckets/block. A large array of 7x7x8 steel tanks stores 21.78 buckets/block.
If you have 9x9 tanks enabled, you can get 11.52 (iron) or 23.04 (steel).

To match that with Buildcraft you only need a 7-high array of tanks, with one layer of pipes on top and two on the bottom (so 10 blocks high counting the pipes).

Edit: This forum needs auto-merge, or maybe I just posted too far apart.

Another edit!: I made a quick calculator for this
that's pretty cool. Shows that rc tanks do the best to consolidate space. Another factor outside that is the medium used to deliver the in/out of the liquid. For the rc/xy tanks require 4 pipes of something because of the two points of entry. For bc tanks, you need 2 pipes for each length of tank. In your example of a 7x7, you would need atleast 100 pipes to delivery liquid to/ from array of tanks. You may even need an additional layer or 2 to the bc tank layout if you needed to power liquiducts.[DOUBLEPOST=1375018299][/DOUBLEPOST]
There's also the quantum tank. 2 billion mB is quite a bit... In one block.
*raises eye brow*
What's a quantum tank? Is that GT?

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
I did a graph thing, based on Immibis findings. It's very interesting to see how tanks actually hold up with very large room sizes.

cbgJYpp.png

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
BC tanks are already a multiblock structure, no?

When people used to want less-high tanks, they made more of them. They can be placed right next to each other after all. You do need a redstone engine for each one, but you should have pre-crafted a few stacks of those.

Then you know exactly why I said big tanks are pointless, lol.

Lets just make a block that stores 31^2 of everything is all gates via a UI and have minecraft installed on it too with the same superblock mod installed on it. Awesome but also pointless.

If things automate too much, and dont requite player creativity or thought, it becomes silly. Let players do the building and just supply the pieces, right? Thats why Ill never have AE or Soulshards installed. It takes away from creativity and ingenuity.

Reactions: immibis and Zelfana

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft tanks are less convenient though, as you either stack them high or use an array of them with all the downsides (needing multiple outputs, no consistent fill level, needing gates instead of just liquiducts+lever or pipe+redstone engine depending on how you want to place them).

So I rarely use them, usually only a few stacked until I get a more permanent and convenient solution (iron tanks).

I don't see why you couldn't use liquiducts. The point of stacking all these tanks together is to serve as a multiblock structure right? So it's only storing one liquid. So why not just attach them all to liquiducts and apply a redstone signal from below? In 1.4.7 you could use red alloy wiring and in 1.5 you could use MFR cables. You could even use redstone torches, redstone blocks or TiCo redstone bricks. You'll end up using more liquiducts but its still a viable option

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the output of liquiducts, when would you ever need more than say, 7 output connections (max size of iron tank).

edit: Nevermind. The scale to which people can dream and build things in FTB is infinite. If you have some examples I'd love to hear, aside from managing fusion reactor liquids. That I wouldn't mind a clear and concise explanation about as well.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the output of liquiducts, when would you ever need more than say, 7 output connections (max size of iron tank).

I think a max size iron tank has 64 outputs but don't quote me on that. So even if you need, you got enough.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
The point of most liquid storage (besides water) is to hold something you are producing but don't have an use for yet. A good example and what I'm about to do next is putting up MFR Grinder and that will make mob essence which you can use for a couple things. But since I'm going to get the Grinder set up first I need a tank to store the essence until I have use for it. The uses are also somewhat less continuous so it makes sense to have some buffer.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, well I'm going from the bare minimum. Say, you only had room to expose one side of your maximum size tank, due to the design of your factory. I don't think there are many examples that of which might exceed the pressure of 7 inputs (into the liquiducts. I hope that convention make sense).

7x4 + 7x7 on a 9x9 tank. 49 + 28 = 77.

SamAndrews

Jul 29, 2019
I like Xycraft, especially the fabricators. I use the Xycorium decorative blocks in a lot of my "magic" themed rooms. I wish Xycorium were a bit rarer, the ores a little bit nicer looking, and I wish quartz weren't in the game at all.

sivina

Jul 29, 2019
* Soaryn isn't a trustworthy mod author. He's skipped a whole Minecraft version without a release!

Soaryn have explained it why no 1.5.2 xycraft in direwolf20 smp videos recenty.
Becuase his mod may affecting the world save.He is not sure and still in testing so that's is no 1.5.2 version of his mod.

Correct me if i worng ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1375236559][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like Xycraft, especially the fabricators. I use the Xycorium decorative blocks in a lot of my "magic" themed rooms. I wish Xycorium were a bit rarer, the ores a little bit nicer looking, and I wish quartz weren't in the game at all.

Or just make the quartz crystals as rare as diamond spawn rate, problem solved ;)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if they never end up getting used, aside from valves. Recycling program has grown.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the fancy luminous blocks. I looked at basalt bricks and like that goth in that old footlocker ad and was like "Got any blacker..." Then XYCraft brought out a Black XY brick.

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
¤ Ugly ores
¤ Ugly blocks
(by "Ugly" I mean they look terribly out of place compared to most other vanilla and mods' ores and blocks)
¤ Super unnecessary worldgen features
¤ Incomplete features
¤ Finished machines look even more out of place than the ores do (it's more of a sci-fi mod than a tech mod)

¤ Everything about the darned crystals (ugly, annoying, renders behind everything, makes minimap cave mode look like white noise on a TV)

Tbh I wouldn't mind if XyCraft was in the pack if it tied into the existing ores in forge or at least stuck to only using a single new ore. As it was in the 1.4.7 packs, every other thing you came across underground was ONLY useful in XyCraft, while most things (copper, tin etc) are useful in a great number of mods.

P.S. Ugliness of most things in XyCraft is my personal opinion and is not a matter of debate :p

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
ill say it again in case the mod author hangs out here: A single white or clear crystal, with the ability to dye them would be ideal. And the second crystal that is only used in one block could just be changed to be crafted using the main xycraft crystal. its just tough to create so much in the world, and have so few uses for them. Blast proof plates and stuff arent really that necessary IMO.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
This has been brought up my others in the thread here. But I figure I'd give my take on things.

I like Xycraft. BUT....

I feel the world gen really needs to be redone. Intead of 4 types of crystals give us 1 and use dyes or something to make the 4 types. This cuts done on world gen and makes the whole thing a little less of a pain. Quartz make it a block instead of a 3d model. Quartz Ore or something like that. Then let it drop the spiky bits.

Reactions: Jerx99