What is/were the reason's people don't like xycraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
at first I was like stupid crap that I can't do anything with.

Then I was like, woah, you mean I don't have to blow iron on a liquid storage?

Then I was like, woah, you mean I have a surplus of weird mineral and it can help me speed up my farm at the beginning (i HATE having to start up a wheat farm for the feeder or for village trading or getting enough reeds for bookshelves at the start)?

Then I was like 2 fabricators and a double chest = epic crafting? OMG.

Then I was like, woah, I can make much less expensive reactor protection or wither spawning protection using xysheilds?

Oh where are you xycraft in 1.5.... quit hiding from me.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Because no matter how useful the things are, xychorium crystals and those green quartz crystals still feel like massive wastes of storage space.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
the only thing I really didn't like about xy and those green quartzs are that the crystals would eat any drops that got near it.

"Don't mind me... I'm just a quartz crystal just hanging out here next to my friend diamond (or iridium or whatever that is a bitch to find). Oh hellz no you mined my freind? I'm going to eat the drop because you suck."

That got old... real quick lol.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also a fan of Xycraft. I love the tanks and the decorative blocks look great. Even better...combine both and only make the tanks out of Xycraft decorative blocks and they no longer take up storage space.

But the crystals eating up drops of rare materials before I can grab them...ugh. I'm done with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dgdas9

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
If you use thaumcraft, those crystals are a good resource & can be smelted into ingots for a source of metallum essence. The "cave cactus" quartz can be annoying but can also be placed again for traps & defense. I love the inverted lamps & have played around with the decorative bricks (Secret Rooms camouflage blocks do not play well with xycraft blocks). The tanks have been reported as a source of lag, so I haven't played with them, but I would think that that issue would have been resolved by now.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I was much the same way when I first learned about xycraft. But I love my fabricators and 12x12x12 tanks so much im willing to put up with umpteen million stupid crystals.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I like the concept of Xycraft.

I don't like the fact that it insists on spamming as much worldgen alone as all other mods combined, with no config to adjust it, and recipes balanced to require that massive amount. It's not like there aren't alternatives (like removing all but white Xychorium, and making coloring recipes based on the liquid dye system Xycraft brings with it).

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
I like xycraft, kinda sad it was removed. I heard it was a bunch of lag issues and xy-tanks disappearing and causing lag, not surprised though. The xy-quartz seems fairly polygon heavy compared to, well every block in Minecraft. Rendering it has to be laggy. The immense variety of ways and sizes xy-tanks could be might have also been a source of lag.

I really liked xycraft and I saw potential in it. It looked like a good mod, even in its 1.4 stage.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019

I don't like the fact that it insists on spamming as much worldgen alone as all other mods combined, with no config to adjust it, and recipes balanced to require that massive amount. It's not like there aren't alternatives (like removing all but white Xychorium, and making coloring recipes based on the liquid dye system Xycraft brings with it).
^this^

Why does every frakkin' mod have to have a bazillion new ores? Nearly all xycraft's worldgen could have been consolidated with that of thaumcraft. Just make a recipe like 1 shard + random cheap stuff = 12 or so xycraft shards.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Indeed, the generation overwhelmed the landscape. Was able to put up with it a bit more with some retextures.

A single crystal ore would be a much better idea, and that single ore gives you your "tier 1" items. Then, you can build a special system that will colour the crystals using liquid dye, that then gives you access to the next tier of items.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Other people have already mentioned the overactive generation, quartz crystals destroying items (my first turtle included :(), and how much storage space it eats. However, another issue I have with it is that I just find it...ugly. It really doesn't seem to fit in with the aesthetic of any other mod. The colors are pretty garish by themselves, but they stand out even more with any other block. I don't mind the "cyberpunk" aesthetic in most cases, but I'm not fond of this example. The textures are a bit too busy IMO as well.

However, what I do really like about it: glass viewers, multitanks, fabricators, and xysoil. All are great, functional additions.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
1. Lag
2. Ugly
3. Who doesnt have infinite iron anyway?
4. Bad support
5. Doesnt follow through
6. Not the best coding
7. Shit generation

It could be great but they left it at meh. Their tanks are about all they got, and they are still on crack sometimes

Reactions: Jerx99

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I NEVER lost anything to Xycraft quartz. I'm confused as to how people managed to do so.

The world gen was annoying but the fabricator was nice. I don't miss it now because I'm using AE. I only used the tanks once. Neat, but I can live without it. It really bothered me that you could make a liquid tank from stone. That always seemed weird. :p

Overall worldgen was my problem. If you played with the packs right after the 1.4.2 beta, there was a LONG wait for functionality. That probably made things more negative than they should have been. I also agree about the textures not fitting. Anything other than dark xychorium literally made me dizzy.

We'll see what comes in 1.6 but I really can't think of what it offered that I'm missing now.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I came to ftb about a couple weeks before xy had function and yeah it was dumb. Then then the waterblock + xytank just completely grounded and pounded the aquious accumulator into irrelevence.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I came to ftb about a couple weeks before xy had function and yeah it was dumb. Then then the waterblock + xytank just completely grounded and pounded the aquious accumulator into irrelevence.

Xytank + Waterblock takes up significantly more space than an accumulator. Only time I ever used Xytank + Waterblock was on a server where I decided to put my Thaumcraft room in the Nether to cut down on flux and needed a way to fill my crucible with water. The Xytank ended up glitching out and rendering the entire server map unplayable.

I like Xycraft, but I'll stick to Aqueous Accumulators, thanks. :p