What is life without GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I really miss some of the most basic stuff.

For example, turns out smelting tools and armor was from gregtech.

I also miss the centrifuge, electrolyser, industrial grinder and button panel.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Obligatory Be Nice notification, folks. Opinions are okay. Personal sniping is not. I or any other moderator reserve the right to shut down this thread if we feel it is on the road to getting out of hand or is increasingly redundant alongside the currently open GT opinion thread.

Also, moved to Mod Discussion.

_squirrel

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't even touched ic2 yet...

Until starting without gregtech, I never realized how much it adds to the game. Gregtech makes you use all the mods to be able to get to late game while now, I don't ever plan on even making a normal generator until some time. I have a quarry running and I haven't even have had to produce 1 eu. With gregtech, I had to make a whole eu produciton line just to get to the quarry because of the drill needed with required a blast furnace which required lots of eu. Atm I feel like I'm just skipping past everything challenging and going to end game with any effort using only dartcraft, mfr, ae, te and buildcraft and not bothering with any other mod

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Without GT I'm fine with my modded minecraft experience. I didn't get into this to build endless boxes. I wanted auto farms and auto mining so that I'd be free to build cool structures. GT never offered that. The only good thing about the mod was that it forced me to learn every other mod in the 1.4 packs. I avoided gt and IC2 like the plague.

And I haven't missed it at all.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Band aid for what? It's no different then Electrical power in RL (Electrical Engineer here). You have your main power production sites that produce power in one mode and then you ship it down the line in the "best way" possible and use transformers to convert it to the power you need at the destination. In the factory that I was an engineer in we had machines that ran on 120 / 240 and 480 ... three different power levels that required transformers to convert the power to the destination needs. That is exactly what gregtech does with LV/MV and HV transformers. Not sure how that is a Band-Aid.

Sorry, that I didn't register earlier and post instead of just lurking on the forums, would that have made you happier? Sad that anytime time there is a new person there is someone that want's to make some snide remark about how they are new and imply they shouldn't have an opinion.

Transformers are part of IC2 not GregTech.

On certain days, I like GT. When I'm in the mood to grind. That is all GT is to me, a grind to get better IC2 type machines.

I've come to just prefer MJ as a power network. Its not overly complex, and doesn't induce near as much lag.

Now if only Elo would make a Blutricity API...

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, that I didn't register earlier and post instead of just lurking on the forums, would that have made you happier? Sad that anytime time there is a new person there is someone that want's to make some snide remark about how they are new and imply they shouldn't have an opinion.
You're right, his message was written a bit irritating. But a simple search would've given you tons of threads (not older than a week) where you could've chimed in to and have your opinion voiced. I wonder, where did that "official GT discussion thread" go - or was it closed due to the usual flame wars this mod started here for months and years now?

----

On topic all I can add is: I never got warm with GT in the first place, but this has less to do with GT and more with IC2 in general. I prefer setups that are a bit more.. rube goldberg'y. Stuff like the reactors from AS or a conveyor system for a MFR biofuel generator. IC2 is just.. white blocks doing shtuff. Which is not really exciting to look at - may they be as expensive as they want.

Reactions: RedBoss

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
Life without GT...

I'm not missing it at all. If anything, it's forcing me to branch out and start experimenting with other mods that were there but I haven't used before. I haven't cared much for IC2, and only really started generating EU for:

- GT machines
- Advanced machines mod
- Jetpacks

I never much cared for it because as soon as I start running glass fiber all around my base for lots of stuff the lag gets bad. No GT machines or advanced machines, so that significantly cuts down my EU needs. I can get pretty much everything else I need powered-wise from mods that use MJ. MJ production and storage using redstone cells/conduits is much less laggy.

And now I'm finally looking at alternatives to EU-based jetpacks for flight, like MPS which I've never touched before.

Less grinding and less lag. I'm down with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Marconos

Jul 29, 2019
You're right, his message was written a bit irritating. But a simple search would've given you tons of threads (not older than a week) where you could've chimed in to and have your opinion voiced. I wonder, where did that "official GT discussion thread" go - or was it closed due to the usual flame wars this mod started here for months and years now?

----

On topic all I can add is: I never got warm with GT in the first place, but this has less to do with GT and more with IC2 in general. I prefer setups that are a bit more.. rube goldberg'y. Stuff like the reactors from AS or a conveyor system for a MFR biofuel generator. IC2 is just.. white blocks doing shtuff. Which is not really exciting to look at - may they be as expensive as they want.

Yep, decent number of other threads, I just decided to say something here. Not sure why it's such a big deal, thought this forums as a little better than this, maybe I was wrong.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry, it's not you. Some of the posters in this thread have a 'thing' against GT. Just chalk it up to overinflated personalities. Welcome to the forums :)

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry, it's not you. Some of the posters in this thread have a 'thing' against GT. Just chalk it up to overinflated personalities. Welcome to the forums :)

Being fair and accurate, people on both extremes of opinion ("I really hate GT" and "I really like GT") seem to lose their manners when it comes to discussing this mod. Hence my "Be Nice" disclaimer earlier in the thread. I encourage folks to use the Report button if they believe they are being personally attacked or if other rules are getting violated, rather than to reply to such and fan the flames.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019

Me? I'm happy building stuff that looks pretty. I could make my base with GT or without it, as none of the blocks I use are from IC2, GT, or any other derivative. GT isn't installed on the server I play, and I still don't touch IC2, if it was, nothing would change, except I'd get a bit pissed off at having to build a plate bending machine and a whole host of other GT machines JUST so I could put an electric upgrade on my pickaxe... and power it through my Mekanism energy cube... damn I wish I could use control circuits and energy tablets for that upgrade.. :/

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Band aid for what? It's no different then Electrical power in RL (Electrical Engineer here). You have your main power production sites that produce power in one mode and then you ship it down the line in the "best way" possible and use transformers to convert it to the power you need at the destination. In the factory that I was an engineer in we had machines that ran on 120 / 240 and 480 ... three different power levels that required transformers to convert the power to the destination needs. That is exactly what gregtech does with LV/MV and HV transformers. Not sure how that is a Band-Aid.

The IC2 power ecosystem has game balance issues. But also the model that IC2 uses is weird and pays a lot of cpu cycles to be "realistic". But it's not realistic and anyone with a basic understanding of electricity will immediately find it intensely weird that infinite power can flow down a line in an instant so long as the voltage is stable.

Reactions: PoisonWolf

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
The IC2 power ecosystem has game balance issues. But also the model that IC2 uses is weird and pays a lot of cpu cycles to be "realistic". But it's not realistic and anyone with a basic understanding of electricity will immediately find it intensely weird that infinite power can flow down a line in an instant so long as the voltage is stable.

It's realistically unrealistic!

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

well, you should look at cables first, and then tell how realistic EU is. it really beats me how engineer can tolerate such cable system...
but this not the thing i was talking about.

Imagine that you`re a traveler(IC2 player), and you have your luggage(mass/matter fab). In order to carry it IC2 and GT give you bunch of different dogs to choose(lv producers), a different sized mules( lv-hv producers advanced/compact solars), magical mule from outer world(dragon egg siphon, tech and realism, duh), alien(nuke), and an elephant(fusion rector).

RC gives you a horse, while it does fit near mule, its still not suited for carrying your luggage. just like a band-aid for broken bones treatment.

i had no intention to offend anyone. it was my observation of gt related threads.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing with GT in my current custom pack. So far in this play though, I have made one semi-fluid generator and one diesel generator, one MFE, bat-box and LV transformer. That is all the EU generation system I have at this moment. I am using steam power for everything I can, thanks to the steam upgrade modules. I am liking the fact that I only have one power distribution system in my base.

I've taken a few detours from GT in order to focus on a few of the other mods. I've worked my way though thaumcraft and thaumic tinkerer (except for hidden research) and have done a few things with MFR. All in all though, I plan on leaving GT after this world. Even though I love how most of the farmable items can be turned into some sort of power, I find that there is a lot more to the other mods that I just don't have time to even look at. Thaumcraft and TT have oodles of goodies I haven't even started to use, nor really explored the twilight forest. I'm probably going to a magic pack after this, just for the change.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.
What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.

I'm not one to quote song lyrics since I'm not 16 anymore, but that ran through my head as soon as I saw the thread title. I'm listening to Metallica in my headphones right now, so it was kind of weird.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
What is IC2 without GT? I am finding myself quite bored with my 1.4.7 world, considering everything I have planned isn't as interesting as I thought it'd be. I am playing with the idea of creating a new world in 1.5.2 Unleashed, but is curious as to what taking away GT does?

Also, what kind of things would I need to to do install GT onto Unleashed? What conflicts are there, if anyone else has played with the idea.

I'm not going to write one of the "This is how I like to play, so it must be how everyone else should like to play too" post... I tried FTB Unleashed for one hour and didn't like it, I tried Unhinged and didn't like it because: No computercraft! No extrabees! No thaumcraft etc. GT is just good of a mod -FOR ME- to skip on, but i do want my occasional computercraft gadgets, my bee dna stations and magic rooms also!

This is however just how I play, and I encourage you to find which mods you like, and if none of the FTB packs suit you then look for a custom modpack, just like i did.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why some people are so focussed on GT. There's tons of other fun mods, why not try those for a change? Doing everything exactly the same every time you build a new base sounds kinda boring.

You'll have to adapt some day anyway. GT is more and more going in the direction of a total conversion mod that doesn't play well with others.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
When I started with 1.4 modpacks, I didn't like GT because it was confusing, NEI wen't berserk with all those alternatives to build stuff and I didn't know half the mods that were in the pack, so I removed GT to get to know the other (simpler) stuff first. Way cleaner experience imho. Later I wanted to try GT, but I didn't like it interfering with my other mods. If I want to focus on one mod for a day, I don't want to be forced to build a GT ecosystem first because the recipes require it suddenly (and I don't care, who changed the recipe).

Now after the recent incident (and the direction GT seems to be taking) I don't even consider it anymore. I prefer to tinker with this unified energy stuff (mekanism etc) in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.