What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, sorry. I have a 120mbit connection at home so I kinda forget what it was like for me 10 years ago ;)

Edit: Those diagrams I posted are 4kb each so I doubt that would cause a large delay for you. But anyway, I'll add spoiler tags.
I'm not exactly well-off, unfortunately, and equally unfortunately my poor internet provider doesn't really have any competitors here to force it to provide better service.

Not every image loads slowly though. It's a few posts, like Fishloaf's, that cause a problem.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Not every image loads slowly though. It's a few posts, like Fishloaf's, that cause a problem.

I didn't really notice but he posted massive 1920x1080px images 600kB each. You really should resize images to something more forum-friendly before uploading them. Spoilers or not, some people are checking forums on mobile connections and those do tend to have a datalimit.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft doesn't autoupload screencaptures to an image host ;)

Edit: Also it saving to PNG is a bit silly.
Neither does Windows Paint, your point was? You could also crop the borders yourself if you really want to see the extra work when you could get the cropped image with Minecraft.

PNG is just fine, it preserves the image quality better than JPG. You can't bring quality back after you lost it so the best possible quality to start with is the best. Sure, you should at least spoiler tag the images especially when you have multiple. Big screenies on a thread doesn't really work either, you should scale them down to 1280x720 or smaller.

I didn't really notice but he posted massive 1920x1080px images 600kB each. You really should resize images to something more forum-friendly before uploading them. Spoilers or not, some people are checking forums on mobile connections and those do tend to have a datalimit.
For that resolution it's pretty reasonable size. It's a bit overkill when most people can't fit the image on the screen when scrolling through the thread so taking the screen in a smaller Minecraft window is advisable.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Neither does Windows Paint, your point was?

Can you be a bit less abrasive in your replies? My point is that I have a tool running that automatically uploads screencaptures to my image host. Saves me from doing it myself. This is why I don't use the build-in minecraft screenshot capability.

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still trying to find an "optimal" automated design.
Even with the recent changes to the solid fueled fireboxes a single turbary and logger (turning all the wood into charcoal) can ALMOST keep a 36HP boiler running after the temperature has been maxed (which takes about 4 hours and a lot of extra fuel). I have this coupled with a farm, mushroom farm, moistener, squeezer, fermenter, still, 2 carpenters (1 for humus, 1 for bog), powered furnace, aqueous accumulator and a few tanks. Everything except seeds (gets about a stack an hour surplus which doesnt seem worth the trouble to turn into seedoil) gets turned into fuel (using water in fermenter, apple juice production is too unreliable). This runs a turbine and 10 industrial steam engines.

I added a second arbor/logger for rubber trees, but with all the extra sand get too much bog.It also produces way more rubber than I could ever need. A second bog/turbary would probably balance everything out well (and use up the surplus mulch) and keep the boiler going. The other option would be to cut down to a 12 HP or two, and possibly not burn all the wood.

I have only just added in a liquidfueled boiler. I also have a huge tank of biomass but only recently started up the still. It doesnt seem to me that it would be able to keep up with more than a 12HP boiler though (still heating it).

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Can you be a bit less abrasive in your replies? My point is that I have a tool running that automatically uploads screencaptures to my image host. Saves me from doing it myself. This is why I don't use the build-in minecraft screenshot capability.
Okay, you have that. Not everyone, though. I assumed we were discussing in a general sense. But can we drop this subject? It's getting way off topic and most agreed to prefer the images not load every time this thread is opened. It's not only a bandwidth problem but it's also cluttering the thread when you try to read new posts.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I have only just added in a liquidfueled boiler. I also have a huge tank of biomass but only recently started up the still. It doesnt seem to me that it would be able to keep up with more than a 12HP boiler though (still heating it).

Use more than one still. A single fermenter running 100% of the time on water can support 4 stills with biomass to spare, and those 4 stills can support 2 heated 36HP boilers that have been heated with biofuel to spare. That said, heat them up one at a time, and before heating you'll want a good deal of biofuel built up. For the first boiler you can probably get away with 100k mb surplus biofuel in the system since there will be four stills runnings, but for the second boiler you'll want at least 200k mb surplus biofuel. After heating up the first boiler you'll be ableto run all of your biofuel production stuff fairly easily, since it can output 144 MJ/t worth of power.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, now I get the cobble to lava thing, thanks for the explanation. Since I don't have IC I often forget to consider EU.

With 20 magmatic engines generating 80 MJ/t, I have enough energy to melt plenty of netherrack to work towards my lava tank (though I'm not sure what to do with it when I have it) and charge up power cells for portable power which I use occasionally. And I turn it off quite a bit when I run out of places for all the power to go and start wasting lava :p I'm mostly experimenting to see what's possible. Maybe I'll have a more thought-out plan in my next world. (If I decide to start over in the ultimate pack whenever that shows up. No rush.)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, now I get the cobble to lava thing, thanks for the explanation. Since I don't have IC I often forget to consider EU.

With 20 magmatic engines generating 80 MJ/t, I have enough energy to melt plenty of netherrack to work towards my lava tank (though I'm not sure what to do with it when I have it) and charge up power cells for portable power which I use occasionally. And I turn it off quite a bit when I run out of places for all the power to go and start wasting lava :p I'm mostly experimenting to see what's possible. Maybe I'll have a more thought-out plan in my next world. (If I decide to start over in the ultimate pack whenever that shows up. No rush.)
Netherrack might get nerfed. At least I would hope so. The other choices for magma crucible are reasonable within the mod itself but with other mods that also breaks a bit but lava has been nerfed by other mods instead.

mfgamesys

Jul 29, 2019
Since ppl have posted saying that ppl seem to have 'overpower' setups i can explain why i need 144 mj/t one i have assembly table running most of the time and htat uses 100mj/t lol i don't like waiting on golden chipsets. two I have 4 refineries this allows for further expansion in the future for other uses of fuel(as in another hp steam boiler) Also I was going to use it for steam turbines(server crash bug). And I was going to be adding on for more forestry farms so all the power production makes sense I also would use buffers on the farms so they don't use up all the power.

mfgamesys

Jul 29, 2019
by buffers i mean redstone energy storage cubes for each farm so they only use so much mj/t as for a tree farm only 4 mj/t

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
Use more than one still. A single fermenter running 100% of the time on water can support 4 stills with biomass to spare, and those 4 stills can support 2 heated 36HP boilers that have been heated with biofuel to spare. That said, heat them up one at a time, and before heating you'll want a good deal of biofuel built up. For the first boiler you can probably get away with 100k mb surplus biofuel in the system since there will be four stills runnings, but for the second boiler you'll want at least 200k mb surplus biofuel. After heating up the first boiler you'll be ableto run all of your biofuel production stuff fairly easily, since it can output 144 MJ/t worth of power.

4 stills?! Nice. I'm still trying to get the ratios for an automated forestry setup. I was experimenting some more today in creative while I wait for the rest of my mods to update to 1.4.6. Went with 2 treefarms (1 oak, 1 rubber) , 2 bogs, 1 wheat farm, 1 mushroom. 2 fermenters, 3 stills, 2 carpenters, 1 moistener. 2, 36hp boilers ( 1 solid, 1 liquid). Still takes forever to get up and running, and I have been having to do too much babysitting since all the material tends to go to 1 user instead of spreading out like I want, but I got some good ideas from someone on another thread about using gate triggers and regular diamond pipes to route things (I have been using all logistics pipes) that I am going to try and implement my next go.

Did something really stupid though, hooked both boilers to the same duct, and even though the single accumulator on a railcraft tank can keep up with a ton of shit, you need to use more than 1 output duct. So as soon as I fired the 2nd boiler up the first one exploded (and took out the pipes) and the second one exploded a second later.

I'm starting to think the solid fuel really isnt worth the trouble but it keeps everything self-sustaining. I can see why some people just use reeds and/or cactus for biomass and run only liquid boilers.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I don't build stuff I personally consider cheating. Advanced solar panels make no sense to me whatsoever. A single regular solar panel can convert the solar energy falling on the surface to 1 EU/t. An advanced one can convert the same amount of energy to 512EU/t? So this is just my personal opinion on the stuff.

Advanced solar panels only generate 8 EU/t, enough to keep a MFU charged during the night/rain and keep the engines running.

I've never actually built any higher tier than that.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Going from memory,

Advanced are 8 EU/t during the day and 1 EU/t at night.

Hybrids are 64 EU/t during the day and 8 EU/t during the night.

Ultimates are 512 EU/t during the day and 64 EU/t at night.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I like TE's netherrack MJ settings: it's basically like pumping out lava but a bit less efficient and less CPU taxing.

I also find it amusing when people write things like "100k mb" since that means a hundred thousand thousandths of a bucket.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I like TE's netherrack MJ settings: it's basically like pumping out lava but a bit less efficient and less CPU taxing.

I also find it amusing when people write things like "100k mb" since that means a hundred thousand thousandths of a bucket.

Oh, I know that it means 100 buckets, I just use that as that's the number it shows for the railcraft tanks. As such, the 100,000 mb figure is more visible without having to do the conversions in your head, which some people aren't particularly good at.