What do you think is the best mod pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like you haven't experienced a meteor shower yet. Now THAT's a load of hurt.

I opened a thread yesterday just on the subject.

lol.. I commented on it after I saw this. Yea.. that was a meteor shower apparently, not just a meteor hitting a tree like I thought. I quoted my original post with pictures. That was the day I vowed never to use it again. :p

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The best pack, for me, is Resonant Rise. The majority of the mods in Horizons have been in RR for a good while and are placed as an intended mod pack not just a "sample new stuff" pack. I'm glad ftb loyalists are getting introduced to new mods but it seem haphazard and not geared towards a real play through. IMO.

Even people who like a mod pack change it a bit. In SSP with RR I change the BoP configs because I detest the amount of dead and nasty biomes. I also like to increase my chances of finding Badlands because I love building with hardened clay. Some people will take a base modpack and either add mods or disable ones they don't want.

The "best" pack is like Santa said, the one you get the most fun from.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
What do you think is the best mod pack?

Horizons + Forestry+Binnie's+MagicBees

I need mah bees, don't
necessarily need Buildcraft though as extra utils pipes work great for bees.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
The one I liked the most / had most fun? Ultimate.
I'm playing the new Direwolf20 and it's fine. I like starting with relatively small amount of mods and when I learn them well enough moving on to bigger packs. I doubt I'll go as far as Monster though. That seems nonsensically big to me.

Maybe I should try RR after reading the thread so far, but then again its players have always been rather vocal in this forum, even before the pack was released.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i really doubt people's capability to think when they ask about "best modpack".
modpacks can be best at something but they can never be just "best". if you have no idea on what you want from a modpack i recommend compiling a list of modpacks you might want to play and roll a dice(D6, 2D6, D20 or whatever) and choose based on dice roll.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
modpacks can be best at something but they can never be just "best". if you have no idea on what you want from a modpack i recommend compiling a list of modpacks you might want to play and roll a dice(D6, 2D6, D20 or whatever) and choose based on dice roll.
Yes. Simply asking for or claiming a pack is simply "the best" is rather pointless and immature imo. Yes a pack might be the best at a specific thing, but nothing is the "THE best". Also "best" is down to personal preference. So without the OP actually explaining what he wants out of a modpack, its rather impossible to answer.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@Loufmier: True, but on the other hand, an aggregate opinion can be a helpful thing. Instead of asking just one person, what do play and getting one opinion, you provoke discussion and because this is the internet, arguments that provide information from sources you might not be aware of.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
@Loufmier: True, but on the other hand, an aggregate opinion can be a helpful thing. Instead of asking just one person, what do play and getting one opinion, you provoke discussion and because this is the internet, arguments that provide information from sources you might not be aware of.
since it's the internet you're either getting "i like modpack x" or "my modpack is better than others" type of discussion.
without any knowledge or preferences choosing pack by dice is probably the best choice.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Resonant Rise
The best pack, for me, is Resonant Rise. The majority of the mods in Horizons have been in RR for a good while and are placed as an intended mod pack not just a "sample new stuff" pack. I'm glad ftb loyalists are getting introduced to new mods but it seem haphazard and not geared towards a real play through. IMO.

Even people who like a mod pack change it a bit. In SSP with RR I change the BoP configs because I detest the amount of dead and nasty biomes. I also like to increase my chances of finding Badlands because I love building with hardened clay. Some people will take a base modpack and either add mods or disable ones they don't want.

The "best" pack is like Santa said, the one you get the most fun from.
I agree with everything said in these posts. I like RR because once I started to play the FTB packs again I was used to the expansive modset and quick updates.

Reactions: RedBoss

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even use RR as shipped, I rip quite a few mods out. I use it over other packs because:
a- the community is better than any other.
b- the configs of the mods that I leave in are (for the most part) exactly as I would like them (I change oregen quite a bit though)
c- the only mod I have to add to it is ATG, the rest of the mods I want are already there. No other pack has (almost) everything I want.
d- ATLauncher is objectively the best launcher available

Reactions: RedBoss

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even use RR as shipped, I rip quite a few mods out. I use it over other packs because:
a- the community is better than any other.
b- the configs of the mods that I leave in are (for the most part) exactly as I would like them (I change oregen quite a bit though)
c- the only mod I have to add to it is ATG, the rest of the mods I want are already there. No other pack has (almost) everything I want.
d- ATLauncher is objectively the best launcher available
a, b, and d apply to me also

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
And if you like exploring, raiding dungeons and stuff, and generally getting dead, the MadPack on ATLauncher

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

You got that right... I feel the same way when people ask me "What's the best computer" and they stare blankly at me when I reply "It depends on what you want to do with a computer". You don't need a bleeding edge GPU to see your spreadsheets, after all.

I just fear for humanity as more people settle on tablets or even their phones for their "computer power".

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You don't need a bleeding edge GPU to see your spreadsheets, after all.
I'm sure the good people over at Microsoft got some new innovative idea in mind so that we do :p

I just fear for humanity as more people settle on tablets or even their phones for their "computer power".
There will always be a need for real processing power. It might become a smaller demand and prices therefore go up, but there will be a demand nonetheless. And tbh the pc market have been kinda devided for years already between gaming/heavy duty processing and then just web browsing hardware.

Reactions: BreezyTaco