What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Persona 4 the Animation. Watching early bits on YouTube since I'm almost done with the game and good god, I've never seen something so hilarious in my life.

Reactions: RenzosNips

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I'm watching Direwolf's new spotlight on Botania, and just getting into the most basic of basics I've already learned two things that I wish I had known sooner:
1) You can bonmeal flowers to get tall flowers
2) You can plant a petal by r-clicking and then bonemeal that to get a tall flower.

You know that I've been doing when I was running low on a given type? Floral fertilizer until I got lucky. Good for getting some of everything, bad when I need one specific type.

*Continues watching*

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
I've learned that the Ring of Magnetization from Actually Additions, takes a heck of a lot of RF to use (yet also is a good test on my current tier RF power gen).

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Can confirm that. I made one in my current playthrough of the 1.10 dw20 pack, charged it once, and I think it lasted...2, maybe 3 mining sessions? Made an EnderIO magnet as soon as I was able to after that. Lasts a lot longer on a tenth the charge, and you can turn it off when you don't need it (or more likely when it would interfere with something).

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Totally agree with that, the AA magnet stores 3M RF and was depleted quite fast, while the EIO magnet only has 100.000RF and uses like a RF per 2-3 seconds when on. Also sadly i cant seem to be able to charge the EIO magnet with AA batteries in my inventory.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Also found a more efficient Water Mill setup for ExU2 then i could find on Reddit:

Ibl6NIZ.png

thats a 9x9 area producing 336 GP. Smaller 5x5 could be possible with 5 Watermills producing 80 GP

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Also found a more efficient Water Mill setup for ExU2 then i could find on Reddit:

Ibl6NIZ.png

thats a 9x9 area producing 336 GP. Smaller 5x5 could be possible with 5 Watermills producing 80 GP

Umm wow.... What do you do with all that GP?

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
well u can do multiple thing with GP, most machine like the generators, furnace and crusher accept speed upgrades that either produce more energy or process items faster at the cost of GP. I got a furnace with 20 speed upgrades wolfing down 100 GP and smelting items at 1 item/sec

S

StrommKral

If you are caving and looking for an underground mine, turn on sub-titles, you can "hear"/ read minecart rolls. it will signal the direction, not the depth. works while traveling in the overworld or with flight if you have it.

Reactions: Pyure

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I just realized how AMAZING botania is! So tempted to do a magic only world.. no gregtech, no rotarycraft. just magic.

Botania is one of the most versatile mods out there. Everything in it can me automated using just the mod and vanilla mechanics, but using other mods makes it a lot of fun too.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I just realized how AMAZING botania is! So tempted to do a magic only world.. no gregtech, no rotarycraft. just magic.
Sorry for the offtopic but I see this statements a lot latly. But I don´t understand the hype.

No doubt Botania is a great mod. Feels very smoth and mechanics are working great with each others and most other mods I did comined it with.

Last time I used Botania was in 1.7 and since then things were changed...
I'm waiting on DW to finishing his so praised 8 parts of the Spotlight but for now I dont see anything big new here.

Mostly when I start with botania in my world, I have most of the "amazing" stuff it can do already solved with other mods.
This of course is not botanias fault and won´t make it less amazing but what does botania gives you apart of the Elven Armor/weapon stuff.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Sorry for the offtopic but I see this statements a lot latly. But I don´t understand the hype.
No doubt Botania is a great mod. Feels very smoth and mechanics are working great with each others and most other mods I did comined it with.
last time I used Botania was in 1.7 and since then things were changed.. I´m wating on DW to finishing his si praised 8 parts of the Spotlight but for now I dont see anything beg new here.
Mostly when I start with botania I have most of the "amazing" stuff it can do already solved with other mods.
This of course is not botanias fault and won´t make it less amazing but what does botania gives you apart of the Elven Armor/weapon stuff.
I kinda feel the same way. I like the tools, baubles and armours etc. I like some of the mechanics like the Alfheim Portal and boss fights. And it adds some nice building materials too.

But I find the whole flower thing weird and annoying. And I REALLY hate the "no GUI and dropped item" thing.. It feels like a boring/annoying chore to me. Not as bad as Thaumcraft research(I liked the TC3 research, not the new one), but it is definitely not something I get exited about.

It is quite well polished and thought through however, which is probably why I tolerate the annoying bits.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda feel the same way. I like the tools, baubles and armours etc. I like some of the mechanics like the Alfheim Portal and boss fights. And it adds some nice building materials too.

But I find the whole flower thing weird and annoying. And I REALLY hate the "no GUI and dropped item" thing.. It feels like a boring/annoying chore to me. Not as bad as Thaumcraft research(I liked the TC3 research, not the new one), but it is definitely not something I get exited about.

It is quite well polished and thought through however, which is probably why I tolerate the annoying bits.

I actually like the crafting mechanic it has besides maybe the Rune crafting but I will have to give this a other go and maybe write a small programm with computercraft to automize this a bit more.
But apart of the tools,baubles and armours what new cool stuff is there?

Again, don´t get me wrong. I don´t want to talk this mod down... its one of the most polished ones I saw, but it´s to understand the hype and maybe open my eyes to something I¨m missing in this mod.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
In the grand scheme of things- the crafting mechanics make a refreshing change. Otherwise it'll just be add more auto-crafting tables to the already massive bank of auto-crafting tables, or programme even more AE crafting thingys. (which does get rather tedious after the 64th time)

It'll be painful if a lot of mods did it :p

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

I'm waiting on DW to finishing his so praised 8 parts of the Spotlight but for now I dont see anything big new here.

Mostly when I start with botania in my world, I have most of the "amazing" stuff it can do already solved with other mods.

I would highly suggest you watch the last episode of his latest spotlight (5?) He goes over the baubles. Those are damn near OP in my opinion. Also the staves (staff of *****) are super useful.

The one thing I have yet to play with are the shards of laputa.. Make your own floating islands? Hell yeah!

I understand the "I've got everything I need from mod-x or mod-y" but a lot of people are also "try other methods and don't get stuck in the same rut". This is a different rut. Try to force yourself to use botania before you get into reactors or even end game ender io and maybe you can get a feel for why I would recommend the mod to anyone.

Reactions: Dentvar

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I would highly suggest you watch the last episode of his latest spotlight (5?) He goes over the baubles. Those are damn near OP in my opinion. Also the staves (staff of *****) are super useful.

The one thing I have yet to play with are the shards of laputa.. Make your own floating islands? Hell yeah!

I understand the "I've got everything I need from mod-x or mod-y" but a lot of people are also "try other methods and don't get stuck in the same rut". This is a different rut. Try to force yourself to use botania before you get into reactors or even end game ender io and maybe you can get a feel for why I would recommend the mod to anyone.

Oh, I did not want to question that Botania is a great mod and it has lots of neat (yes I do watch DW20 to much) stuff and also the "usual" things in there. I´m a fan of "try other methods and dont get stuck in the same rut". Thats for example why my tree farms are now done with botania... Just thoguht there might be a other thing I did miss :)
I see that there is no mayor thing but defenitly a lot of more gadget around and the floating Island thing sounds nice (will goggle it asap).

ty!

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019

For myself, I dont really care if a mod is OP or not. I don't mind a bit of a grind (as a gregtech player I am more then used to that). What I like about botania is that I can take this one mod and rely heavily on it for large parts of my infrastructure. It is graphically very cohesive and really really pretty. I just adore how it looks once you got your flowers in place, mana spreaders, pylons.. etc. Could I do all of this with gregtech and more.. sure. But I been doing gregtech since.. 1.5.2. So to be able to do something completely new and not have to hook up AE etc is really amazing. (I am getting real tired of channels tbh ^^).

That is what I like the most about botania, you don't need TONS of different things, tons of different recepies to keep track of, you have a humble amount of resources, and you don't have to tear up the entire world to get them, instead the beauty of the mod lies in how you use what you got. A bit like the charm with rotarycraft, on the surface the mod looks.. eh ok I guess. but once you dig into it you see it has a beauty to it (I know I am odd) but rotarycraft needs.. well alot of materials as we all know.. or should know.. the mod is amazing and everyone should play it ^^

Does that make sense? Yeah botania doesnt add "Omg you can do WHAT?!" it just adds a lot of "yeah you can do that with another mod, but this way you can keep it all in the family so to speak"

It is clean, it is stunning to look at when in action and doesn't need a mining dimension to rip apart. So for me. it is a change of pace that is very welcome and it doesn't have the thaumcraft research (man do I ever hate the living *bleep* out of that).

I am rambling now, back to my bed to sleep off this fever ^^