What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently vanilla minecraft has fully automatic mining now.

A bit slow but then again it also doesn't need power and you don't need to set it up multiple times.
The real downside lays in the fact that it requires a wither but then again you can probably use said wither for other things as well.
Vanilla + Wither = NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!

But if we had just one way to break blocks, even if it was a block with would break the block on top of it, and spit it somewhere in a 10 block radius, that would make automating everything in vanilla possible

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I had forgotten until just today that Mob Essence, when consumed from source block with a MFR Straw, gives you some XP (I remembered this part) and Night vision. Good to know I have steady source available. :)

M

MIC6890

There's always some nifty little thing I find out about a mod or item when building stuff, and none of them are really worth a thread in themselves. So let's just have one thread for all of them :p

Today I found out that a magnum torch doesn't disable vanilla mob spawners. So I can have my oreberry darkroom free of mobs while being right next to the mob grinder I made in my basement, free of the possibility of the torch interfering with my mob essence collecting :)

So what coolness have you found today?
I discovered that you could dstroy the end crstals with tinkers stone shurikens and deal much damage to the dragon

E

eneKusho

I learnt how to use most of IC2's machines. And also that water wheels on FTBIEEMS are extremely good.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Turns out that using slime water (harvested from floating slime islands) keeps Nether ore explosions dampened to a level where they don't destroy mining turtles. I set the turtles to work in the Nether, excavating 8x8 or so, and flow slime water down to keep the turtles hydrated. I can look down the mining shaft to watch the ores explode underwater, makes a pretty effect, but doesn't hurt the turtle.

Using slime water to cool the turtles also generates obsidian, so I've upgraded my Nether base with something prettier than cobblestone. Lots and lots of pretty obsidian.

Only lost one turtle to ore explosion before I figured out this strategy. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethosos

Jardropper

Jul 29, 2019
I finally discovered what all these *rang enchants did that I kept fishing up. ExU2 added a boomerang, and the enchants add some interesting functionality. You can harvest crops/grass, create explosions to damage mobs, and create one to fly far and fast.

Excited to see what else is going on. 1.10 might be grabbing my attention back to MC, finally.

Reactions: Tianyulong

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't actually tested it, but from looking over the source code, the Arcane Engineering Node Destabilizer should be able to convert any type of node into a Normal node, so long as you're willing to accept a 25% chance of ruining the node.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Matter Overdrive weapons can be enchanted.

There is a specific Overclock enchant for them that boosts damage. And Unbreaking will reduce power used(a bit). Looting/fortune sadly does not work :p

Haven't discovered others so far.

Reactions: Scottly318

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The various plates in Thermal Expansion. Long have I been looking for something that even remotely resembles PowerCraft's conveyor belts. I have come close, very very close, as they transport at an alarming speed. Now, if only they had the I/O abilities that PC's belts had...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The various plates in Thermal Expansion. Long have I been looking for something that even remotely resembles PowerCraft's conveyor belts. I have come close, very very close, as they transport at an alarming speed. Now, if only they had the I/O abilities that PC's belts had...
Thermal Dynamics has Viaducts that transport players... They are routed using (I assume) the same code as itemducts, so setting up a Viaduct network with multiple endpoints and the ability to be transported from any one to any other is trivial.

That said, they're not all that fast. Sure, the long-range version is about twice as fast as the normal ones, but the accelerator ducts that you have to use with them take so long to do their thing that if you're not going farther than about 60 blocks, you're better off just using the normal ones.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Dynamics has Viaducts that transport players... They are routed using (I assume) the same code as itemducts, so setting up a Viaduct network with multiple endpoints and the ability to be transported from any one to any other is trivial.

That said, they're not all that fast. Sure, the long-range version is about twice as fast as the normal ones, but the accelerator ducts that you have to use with them take so long to do their thing that if you're not going farther than about 60 blocks, you're better off just using the normal ones.
Odd, I never got those to work...how they do?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Odd, I never got those to work...how they do?
Pretty sure you've got to click on a face of one with something (either a wrench or an empty hand; I don't remember which) to open up that face of that duct and make it an endpoint. Do that on a couple of ducts in the same network, and you should be able to click on one endpoint face (you may or may not need to be holding a minecart; I don't remember if that was changed) and get vacuumed through the network to the other.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure you've got to click on a face of one with something (either a wrench or an empty hand; I don't remember which) to open up that face of that duct and make it an endpoint. Do that on a couple of ducts in the same network, and you should be able to click on one endpoint face (you may or may not need to be holding a minecart; I don't remember if that was changed) and get vacuumed through the network to the other.
Aaaaah, that makes sense! Might require further experimentation...hm.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

I've been playing around with Viaducts in my Inventions world. No minecart needed. I agree that the Long Distance Viaducts aren't useful unless you are actually trying to cover large distances, but I think the balance point on that is in a good spot - even resource sink is decently balanced (although the reliance on Blitz makes mass production a bit tricky without a way to Autospawner them).

scienceguy8

Dec 12, 2012
MineFactory Reloaded rednet cable can be connected to Ender IO insulated redstone conduit with a 1 to 1 connection across all colors. That is, if you output a redstone signal on the blue channel from a Programmable RedNet Controller into a rednet cable connected to an insulated redstone conduit line, that signal will propagate on the blue channel of the insulated redstone conduit. Made my IC2 pressurized reactor refueler system a whole lot easier, let me tell you.

Reactions: Jardropper