What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Or you could just use command blocks.
Pffff, don't be so boring :p

Hehe yeah I really doubt it would be a good idea to base anything on a cross mod bug lol. But might be useful somehow if you don't have access to those things. Like if you want to detect and remember if someone is snooping in your things on a server. I don't know, was just a random thought that popped in when I noticed the "feature" :p

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I discovered today a quick method to harvest clouds: use a Resonant Exchanger or Wand of Equal Trade to replace the clouds with glass, then smash the glass with a silk touch hammer or pick. Make sure you have some kind of item magnet.

Why did I want lots of cloud? To feed Aer to my Hungry Node.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered today a quick method to harvest clouds: use a Resonant Exchanger or Wand of Equal Trade to replace the clouds with glass, then smash the glass with a silk touch hammer or pick. Make sure you have some kind of item magnet.

Personally I like torches, do not have to break any blocks

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Personally I like torches, do not have to break any blocks
Doesn't work with the Resonant Exchanger, sadly.
Here I was thinking that exploit got fixed.
Why is it an exploit?

*Edit* Ooh, I found a dupe! I went up to the clouds with 64 glass to do this with, and came down with 65! Not sure exactly what the cause was, probably was I broke some glass while the replacement was still happening.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

I usually just smash through them with the Vajra. With that speed you dont even feel the flight penalty.
But if that is not available and you don't want to risk dropping them, then the Precision Shears from ExU is really handy. Instantly mines them despite flight and places them directly in inventory.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Precision Shears are no quicker than punching the cloud with an empty hand, unless I'm somehow using them wrong.
Shift+Right click and they harvest instant even in flight. That is what they are designed to do. Hence the Angle Block etc.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
So I thought I'd give the magnetic ore finder a spin.
2015-05-05_20.17.26.png

Turns out it only finds the magnetic ores.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Shift+Right click and they harvest instant even in flight. That is what they are designed to do. Hence the Angle Block etc.
Ok, thanks, but they're still pretty slow, there's a delay between each block for some reason. I was just about to post how the glass method was quicker, but I forgot to turn on my magnet and wasted a load of time looking for the dropped glass, oops. :oops:

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok, thanks, but they're still pretty slow, there's a delay between each block for some reason. I was just about to post how the glass method was quicker, but I forgot to turn on my magnet and wasted a load of time looking for the dropped glass, oops. :oops:
Yeah suppose it is more a precision tool to be used in flight(or swimming I suppose). But it works.
It also got limitations as it will only mine blocks that can be mined by Stone tools. But for creative style flight building etc. It can be handy for breaking stuff (specially without a loot magnet).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not a metal/mineral expert, but I am not sure lapis/redstone are magnetic.
I though that blue one was Osmium, which is not magnetic(ferromagnetic) either. But I suppose since Redstone is a fantastical magical substance it can have whatever properties as people desire :p