What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered the PAX South 2015 map. I also discovered that (a) I suck at "parkour" jumping stuff, and (b) I have no patience for "parkour" jumping stuff after about 30 minutes of doing the same thing over and over and over again and failing every time. Cool map I guess, some people sure put some time into it, but meh, prob won't even finish it at the rate I'm going. Some of the wools are pretty easy, I got 2 out of 16 in the first half hour, but I'm really not a fan of this parkour stuff at all. Where's the beef? Where's the Minecrafting? I saw all the mods in the pack, but it appears they're just used for "decoration" purposes, you don't really do anything with the mods.

Last edited:

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered the PAX South 2015 map. I also discovered that (a) I suck at "parkour" jumping stuff, and (b) I have no patience for "parkour" jumping stuff after about 30 minutes of doing the same thing over and over and over again and failing every time. Cool map I guess, some people sure put some time into it, but meh, prob won't even finish it at the rate I'm going. Some of the wools are pretty easy, I got 2 out of 16 in the first half hour, but I'm really not a fan of this parkour stuff at all. Where's the beef? Where's the Minecrafting? I saw all the mods in the pack, but it appears they're just used for "decoration" purposes, you don't really do anything with the mods.

"Parkour" in minecraft is shit. Its really unhandy thanks to the controls and just resorts to Press Space At Right Time (tm).

Reactions: rhn and asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find the link now, but yesterday I read something about the "Curse Client" being able to backup a Minecraft world automatically every 5 minutes.

So I went searching for this client, because I've been manually backing up my world folders every five minutes (or thereabouts) for the past few years - ever since I've been playing FTB I've been doing it. Talk about tedious? Yeah. But it's saved my butt a few times.

However, even on the Curse site, I couldn't find this "Curse Client" they were speaking of. Today, I learned it's because it isn't released yet:

"The scheduled move over to the new Curse Client has been delayed again to ensure that everything is as high a quality as possible before launch. Having seen the internal builds, I cannot wait to see it go live to the public. Some of the features it adds are brilliant and the overall look and feel of the client has been praised by everyone I know who has seen it."

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-news-25-01-2015.61375/

Can't wait for it!

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
As I understand it, the mods and packs will still work under Linux, you might just need to use some alternate mechanism to acquire them. And if you need to use Wine, it will only be for the launcher - once it launches Minecraft itself that will just be native Linux java. Sorry to derail the thread, this isn't really the place for Win/Linux/Wine stuff.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find the link now, but yesterday I read something about the "Curse Client" being able to backup a Minecraft world automatically every 5 minutes.

So I went searching for this client, because I've been manually backing up my world folders every five minutes (or thereabouts) for the past few years - ever since I've been playing FTB I've been doing it. Talk about tedious? Yeah. But it's saved my butt a few times.

However, even on the Curse site, I couldn't find this "Curse Client" they were speaking of. Today, I learned it's because it isn't released yet:

"The scheduled move over to the new Curse Client has been delayed again to ensure that everything is as high a quality as possible before launch. Having seen the internal builds, I cannot wait to see it go live to the public. Some of the features it adds are brilliant and the overall look and feel of the client has been praised by everyone I know who has seen it."

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-news-25-01-2015.61375/

Can't wait for it!
Aren't there some mods that already does world backups?

I'm using Aroma1997 Backup for a while now. Helped a lot when my own pack isn't exactly stable. Haha.

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I made a huge awsome base, complete with self sufficent mining facility, automated farms, and security. The modpack adds in EnderIO. I place an ME Dense conduit. Coruupts world. Forgot to backup.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I just manually copy/paste my save folder once in a while. Ive learned to be careful.
Yeah same here. I just copy the save over first time I start the world up each day and on special occasions before I do anything risky.

I might loose up to a days work this way, but I don't really mind. Recreating something is really quick as you know exactly how to do it.

I prefer it this way as I am in full control always about when to backup, how many backups to keep and for how long.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah same here. I just copy the save over first time I start the world up each day and on special occasions before I do anything risky.

I might loose up to a days work this way, but I don't really mind. Recreating something is really quick as you know exactly how to do it.

I prefer it this way as I am in full control always about when to backup, how many backups to keep and for how long.

Yeah something that takes hours the first time takes minutes to rebuild.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
I have my full instance managed in git, check-in a version every time I finished playing or changing configs/updating mods. So I can roll back any changes don't work well and the worst case the world corrupted I just lost few hours

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Aroma backup is in a lot of the packs I've been playing... however, in all the weeks or months I've been doing so, I've yet to discover exactly WHERE these "Aroma backups" are being placed or stored. Of course, it's entirely my fault, because I never bothered to make any effort at all to find them. But just like rhn said above, there is a certain comfort in doing something manually - you know exactly what you've copied, and you know where it is located because you put it there. That's full control. So even tho it's tedious, I just kept doing it manually even in a modpack with Aroma. And then I'll complain about how tedious it all is, and yet still won't investigate Aroma. LOL Welcome to my world. haha

For an example of the benefit of manually doing backups - it didn't take me very long to learn that simply copying the "saves" folder wasn't good enough. I restored a backup, and realized all my JourneyMap waypoints were gone. That was aggravating. So from that point forward, I began to not only copy "saves" but also the "journeymap" folder too. That preserved my map exploration and waypoints. Not certain an "automated backup" program would know to keep exactly those two folders and nothing more than that. If it just copies the "saves" folder, it isn't good enough. And if it copies more than just those two folders, it's wasting my hard drive space copying useless stuff.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I restored a backup, and realized all my JourneyMap waypoints were gone. That was aggravating. So from that point forward, I began to not only copy "saves" but also the "journeymap" folder too.

I had the opposite problem, I created a new world that had the same name as an old world, and all the JourneyMap information from the old world was brought across to the new one.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I made a huge awsome base, complete with self sufficent mining facility, automated farms, and security. The modpack adds in EnderIO. I place an ME Dense conduit. Coruupts world. Forgot to backup.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I feel your pain and grief. I had an incident in one of my worlds recently like this and I had to take a break for a few days because it caused me to totally lose interest in playing. But thankfully it wasn't permanent and I got over it eventually. Repeat like a mantra: "It's just a video game. It's just a video game." LOL

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I had the opposite problem, I created a new world that had the same name as an old world, and all the JourneyMap information from the old world was brought across to the new one.
That also happens on a server when the server map got reset.
And I think the Journeymap data gets lost when you edit the name of the server in your list (well the data is still there but in the wrong named folder)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Aroma backups can be found inside the [saves] folder, where your normal saved files are. They are in a zip format with dates and/or in the name.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
A friend of mine made an automatic villager sorter using Railcraft - the villager detector can separate different types of villagers. He sorts out only the interesting villagers while dropping the others directly into a smeltery.
He used this to get Mystcraft pages, so he sorted out only the Mystcraft villagers.
You will probably be happy with the new version (real soon now *), that has "sealed booster packs" as the normal treasure item. You'll get lots and lots of pages very quickly as you explore libraries.

*: As in, he asked the testers if we thought the current version was ready to go for this weekend.