What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So they are automate-able via MFR and the such?
Oh the surface, yeah, but they don't all work in all automation systems, and there is the downside of not getting some drops if you automate then I hear. That is, one ends up with a seed with a different meta data then excepted and it won't give extra seeds or nature essence. A prime example is the Sugar Cane seeds, they always drop sugar canes with a meta data of :1 instead of the expected :0 and so one can't use them to craft sugar or paper, or... anything. But, one can easily turn those back into normal sugar canes because they only do so if one isn't already holding a stack of normal sugar canes(well, a stack for them to fill into I mean).

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Magical Crops also allows you to combine two of the same essence with coal. Each level making said coal last four times as long. I want to see what the optimal ratio of essence to coal seeds is to power a base instead of a normal tree farm.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Oh the surface, yeah, but they don't all work in all automation systems, and there is the downside of not getting some drops if you automate then I hear. That is, one ends up with a seed with a different meta data then excepted and it won't give extra seeds or nature essence. A prime example is the Sugar Cane seeds, they always drop sugar canes with a meta data of :1 instead of the expected :0 and so one can't use them to craft sugar or paper, or... anything. But, one can easily turn those back into normal sugar canes because they only do so if one isn't already holding a stack of normal sugar canes(well, a stack for them to fill into I mean).
Elaborate. Is it a big problem? Everything will be going into my AE system, so I won't even touch it until I want it from my ME network.[DOUBLEPOST=1403514855][/DOUBLEPOST]Problem is that the essence isn't renewable?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Elaborate. Is it a big problem? Everything will be going into my AE system, so I won't even touch it until I want it from my ME network.[DOUBLEPOST=1403514855][/DOUBLEPOST]Problem is that the essence isn't renewable?
What? It's clear as it is. Just don't expect a fully automated solution to have the same results as your manual farm and problem solved. Don't use the sugar cane crops(unless it's been fixed) unless you do it by hand or are very careful.

And essence dust is totally renewable because of essence seeds. They drop in the wild and can be grown to net you essence dust, the stuff one uses for literally ever "Magical crop" in Magical Crops. Slather some bonemeal on grass and get seeds.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
What? It's clear as it is. Just don't expect a fully automated solution to have the same results as your manual farm and problem solved. Don't use the sugar cane crops(unless it's been fixed) unless you do it by hand or are very careful.

And essence dust is totally renewable because of essence seeds. They drop in the wild and can be grown to net you essence dust, the stuff one uses for literally ever "Magical crop" in Magical Crops. Slather some bonemeal on grass and get seeds.
Hmmm. My other question is that, what do you do with the "ender pearl essence", for example. Is it a shapeless crafting recipe to turn multiple essence into the item?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Hmmm. My other question is that, what do you do with the "ender pearl essence", for example. Is it a shapeless crafting recipe to turn multiple essence into the item?

8 of them (a full crafting grid minus the center) will turn into an ender pearl. All the crafting recipes for the essences are shaped, but you can look up the shapes in NEI. Most of them are 8 of them in a square but some (like nether essence) have multiple recipes for different things.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
...While @malicious_bloke is right, why even ask when you have NEI? And "I'm not in game right now" isn't a valid explanation since If you aren't in game, you shouldn't be actually thinking about making things in Minecraft right now. Either play the game or take a break.
Plus, countless examples of how it works exists already. Just go do it and don't ask us how to do it.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on the config: You can disable the ability to get essence seeds, which is e.g. default in TPPI.

Reactions: Mevansuto and YX33A

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
You can dup nether stars so that's automation of that and I have no idea how powerful IC2 made UU matter it's possible that it could dup ichorcloth....
Ic2 cannot replicate nether stars and it cannot dup anything from another mod.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on the config: You can disable the ability to get essence seeds, which is e.g. default in TPPI.
Almost everything these days is configurable. That said, just growing small game crops can net you some weak essence now and then if enabled. I'd use that, but without growing my own essence dust, big game crops are very hard to make let alone for more then a few people on a server to make them.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Important part of Magical Crops is that it's highly configurable, for anyones sense of balance. I personally find the defaults a bit too generous and "easy".
Also, with Minetweaker, if there are crops that don't exist in your world (such as IC2 uranium in a non-IC2 pack), you can change it's crafting recipe to make use of those extra "uncraftable" plants. I made Uranium plants craftable from Yellorium Ingots, and the Uranium Essence drops turn into Yellorium.
I don't use Dartcraft, so I've also got the Force Seeds/Plants "free", although not sure yet what resource I could adapt them to.

Overall, to get to the good stuff in Magical crops is a major investment (especially if you lower the seed chance and crafting outputs), so much essence dust is required.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Important part of Magical Crops is that it's highly configurable, for anyones sense of balance. I personally find the defaults a bit too generous and "easy".
Also, with Minetweaker, if there are crops that don't exist in your world (such as IC2 uranium in a non-IC2 pack), you can change it's crafting recipe to make use of those extra "uncraftable" plants. I made Uranium plants craftable from Yellorium Ingots, and the Uranium Essence drops turn into Yellorium.
I don't use Dartcraft, so I've also got the Force Seeds/Plants "free", although not sure yet what resource I could adapt them to.

Overall, to get to the good stuff in Magical crops is a major investment (especially if you lower the seed chance and crafting outputs), so much essence dust is required.
The Force Seeds are kinds odd IMO. On one hand, it makes sense, since Force Gems are not a renewable resource, and they are your main(and without other mods, pretty much only) source of liquid force. On the other, add Forestry or TE3 and Force Logs are your main supply of Liquid Force. Force Gems are not even needed to craft force ingots if you have Forestry since one can just use the Carpenter.
And how many people have TE3 or Forestry? Or rather, how many FTB players don't have access to either of the ways to process force logs into liquid force from these mods but do have DartCraft? It's pretty odd.

...Plus, can't one just make Uranium crops from any ore-dictionary uranium and make it into any ore-dictionary uranium? Ever since Magical Crops removed it's ore-dictionary versions of things, it's been much more usable.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I think it's because Yellorium from BigReactors is not OreDicted to Uranium. Or, I'm a few versions out of date :p

Regardless, I love that with Minetweaker, you can really have ultimate control over what Magical Crops produces, due to you actually growing essence, and crafting it to make resources

Reactions: ljfa

christhereaper

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's because Yellorium from BigReactors is not OreDicted to Uranium. Or, I'm a few versions out of date :p

Regardless, I love that with Minetweaker, you can really have ultimate control over what Magical Crops produces, due to you actually growing essence, and crafting it to make resources

Afaik Yellorium ist OreDicted as Uranium.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That's disappointing
Yeah there is in the 1.6 version only very few items that can be scanned/replicated. Think we were left hanging just after the machines were added and before any variety of recipes were added.
Only just briefly tested it, but so far only found stuff like iridium, diamonds and clay.