What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
What's so amazing about Storage Drawers? I keep seeing people wax lyrical about it, but I've looked it up (though not played with it) and I can't see what all the fuss is about.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
What's so amazing about Storage Drawers? I keep seeing people wax lyrical about it, but I've looked it up (though not played with it) and I can't see what all the fuss is about.
Well the 1st great block is the Drawer Controller. It connects to all drawers (barrels) that are less then 13 blocks away. You can pipe in, and it'll go in to the correct(or next empty) drawer. You can pipe out as well. When you connect the controller to an AE2 storage bus, it will see all the items in all the drawers it's connected to. It's super awesome.

Next great block is the compacting drawer. I'm going to use examples to describe it. 1st, let's use iron ingots. You put an iron ingot into the compacting drawer, and 3 icons will show up. An iron block, ingot, and nugget. You can take out 1 ingot or 1-9 nuggets. If you put in 8 more ingots, you can take out a block, 1-9 ingots, or 1-81 nuggets. Next, try it with cobblestone (with extraUtils installed). You put in 1 cobble, and it shows up cobble, compressed, and double compressed. (Also, if the spoiler images don't load, here's the gallery.)
9yS9RTs.png

bla2eah.png

hxR4d68.png

WOatnVv.png

Io0WBfE.png

YM2ufz7.png

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Well the 1st great block is the Drawer Controller. It connects to all drawers (barrels) that are less then 13 blocks away. You can pipe in, and it'll go in to the correct(or next empty) drawer. You can pipe out as well. When you connect the controller to an AE2 storage bus, it will see all the items in all the drawers it's connected to. It's super awesome.

Next great block is the compacting drawer. I'm going to use examples to describe it. 1st, let's use iron ingots. You put an iron ingot into the compacting drawer, and 3 icons will show up. An iron block, ingot, and nugget. You can take out 1 ingot or 1-9 nuggets. If you put in 8 more ingots, you can take out a block, 1-9 ingots, or 1-81 nuggets. Next, try it with cobblestone (with extraUtils installed). You put in 1 cobble, and it shows up cobble, compressed, and double compressed. (Also, if the spoiler images don't load, here's the gallery.)
9yS9RTs.png

bla2eah.png

hxR4d68.png

WOatnVv.png

Io0WBfE.png

YM2ufz7.png

I don't have XU in my pack right now, so I was unaware that cobble would compress in a compacting drawer. Will this work for higher levels of compression? For example, would placing triple compressed in the next compacting drawer allow for triple, quadruple, and quintuple compressed to be stored?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I don't have XU in my pack right now, so I was unaware that cobble would compress in a compacting drawer. Will this work for higher levels of compression? For example, would placing triple compressed in the next compacting drawer allow for triple, quadruple, and quintuple compressed to be stored?

Yes...

Hence the gushing reviews of the mod due to the use of compressed cobble in infinity expert mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that TNT generates a lot of power ... (watching Etho)
Well, it does have 4.3 MJ/kg in energy density. For reference, your typical Lithium-ion battery tops out at around 1.8 MJ/kg, for reference...and a ham and cheese sandwich has about 10.13 MJ/kg. So...I guest this means you should explode a ham and cheese sandwich.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

1. Easy to make for early game, basically just some wood which is free for the punching.
2. Gets your stuff out of chests - where it is hidden - out into the open where you can see each item and click the drawer to obtain a stack.
3. Can store way more than chests can - default drawers hold either 32 stacks of one item, 16 stacks of 2 items, or 8 stacks of 4 items (2x2 drawer). 5 levels of upgrades as well.
4. With the Drawer Controller, one double-click on it puts all the stuff in your inventory into its respective drawer so you don't waste time sorting all the crap you collect into the right chest.
5. Drawers make a base look cool!! (IMO)

There's probably more but those are the big ones. I disagree that it's the same "game-changer" as AE is, but I do agree that it is an awesome mod most useful when you really need some help - during very early game. The biggest drawback is that you will max out the capacity of the 2x2 Drawers at around 15,000 items even with all 5 upgrades installed. There is a Void Upgrade if you choose to use it. And another issue is that the wall can get so large that it becomes difficult to click on the higher rows. But those are minor complaints that are easily solved (just use 2 drawers when one gets filled, or swap the 2x2's for 1x1 drawers that hold more).

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
1. Easy to make for early game, basically just some wood which is free for the punching.
2. Gets your stuff out of chests - where it is hidden - out into the open where you can see each item and click the drawer to obtain a stack.
3. Can store way more than chests can - default drawers hold either 32 stacks of one item, 16 stacks of 2 items, or 8 stacks of 4 items (2x2 drawer). 5 levels of upgrades as well.
4. With the Drawer Controller, one double-click on it puts all the stuff in your inventory into its respective drawer so you don't waste time sorting all the crap you collect into the right chest.
5. Drawers make a base look cool!! (IMO)

There's probably more but those are the big ones. I disagree that it's the same "game-changer" as AE is, but I do agree that it is an awesome mod most useful when you really need some help - during very early game. The biggest drawback is that you will max out the capacity of the 2x2 Drawers at around 15,000 items even with all 5 upgrades installed. There is a Void Upgrade if you choose to use it. And another issue is that the wall can get so large that it becomes difficult to click on the higher rows. But those are minor complaints that are easily solved (just use 2 drawers when one gets filled, or swap the 2x2's for 1x1 drawers that hold more).
Storage Drawers > AE2 (IMO) I wad never a fan of digital storage because it's not very aesthetically pleasing unless you have a big techy base. Although it does make a pretty sick server room.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I have discovered none of you buggers read the non FTB General chat section. Or you all hate me...

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
There's a non-ftb general chat section?

EDIT: I discovered that there's a "non-ftb general chat" section, but it just seems to talk about modpacks and servers, often talking about ftb packs.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
There's a non-ftb general chat section?

EDIT: I discovered that there's a "non-ftb general chat" section, but it just seems to talk about modpacks and servers, often talking about ftb packs.
It's usually just for people who don't realize this section exists.