Werewolves the matrix. [Game Thread][Championship Practice]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
We don't necessarily have to have this game wrapped up by the time his MU game starts, although it would be nice since the competitors may lose all focus on this game. But its still practice regardless.

That said: 24 hours of night? Silliness.

Z

Zexy

I am suprised that the nights here are this long as well. MU nights are 12 hours... and indeed Vike will start this Monday.
The only other competitor would be me, and I start in around a month, so no problem from my side.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I suppose if I were gm, and my days ended at 5PM EST, I wouldn't be excited about trying to do business the next morning at 5AM. Which is a nice thing about the FTB variant: we have no night phase.

Reactions: Zexy

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Nights are the most pointless thing, IMO. I've been on another forum where they have them and it just makes the game drag further without anything being added beneficial to play. Why are they necessary at all?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For 2 reasons I think
1) Traditionally there really is a night phase. Everyone closes there eyes and the mafia get to decide what to do
2) It lets them make informed decisions based on an actual full day of activity. Town should never be able to make decisions AFTER wolves decide what to do.

Z

Zexy

In the extremely active games (a.k.a. MU), you really need a 12-hour breather once in a while. Posting a lot all the time just doesn't work.
Now in a game of this activity, I agree it may not be needed; you have developed your own nightless style and it works well for you, so 24 hour nights is too much.

C

CorpseCat

For 2 reasons I think
1) Traditionally there really is a night phase. Everyone closes there eyes and the mafia get to decide what to do
2) It lets them make informed decisions based on an actual full day of activity. Town should never be able to make decisions AFTER wolves decide what to do.
To expand on 2, an extended night phase gives both wolves and town power roles a fair amount of time to consider and plan their actions. If the night phase is short or nonexistent, they have no time to think.
Also, as Zexy brought up, in games where there is no night posting, it gives everyone time to gather their thoughts and review the thread more effectively and thoroughly then they could if there's no quiet period.

Reactions: Pyure and Zexy

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I am suprised that the nights here are this long as well. MU nights are 12 hours... and indeed Vike will start this Monday.
The only other competitor would be me, and I start in around a month, so no problem from my side.
/normally here our nighttime is however long it takes the GM to compile and post a recap.

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
upload_2016-4-20_21-18-1.jpeg

It is now D2. The phase lasts 24 hours

Night phases will be shortened to 12 hours. Be aware.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't buy this. Putting this out there now: last game wolf!somebody (victini? somebody? I forget) attempted to paint wolves as inactive by deliberately skipping murders.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
So that just happened, or rather, not...

Any theories on why nothing happened?
I guess the scum did try to kill at least one guy, so that person was probably saved by something.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I don't buy this. Putting this out there now: last game wolf!somebody (victini? somebody? I forget) attempted to paint wolves as inactive by deliberately skipping murders.

Pyure, this would make everyone in that game a suspect, right, not just the ones who were-wolves in that game. I mean, any observer of that behaviour would have been able to copy it.

Looking at the matrix with possible setups, I don't really see any setup in which this would make sense, unless the Towny Jailkeeper is a superb player who knows how to think like a wolf.
Can rule out setup C and 4 though, because a possible town Vigilante would always use his or her powers?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
So that just happened, or rather, not...

Any theories on why nothing happened?
I guess the scum did try to kill at least one guy, so that person was probably saved by something.

I agree. I doubt they would not kill someone on the first day.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There's nothing in the rules that says we shouldn't get an echo if a wolfkill was stopped.
The closest is this: "The Bulletproof roles are passively protected from the first shot fired at them during night. They will not be informed if they lose their vest."

I feel that a blocked kill should be echoed. I feel that if MU doesn't do this, I don't give a shit, because FTB does do this, and if it doesn't, we should have been warned instead of a blanket "we're doing it the MU way which I will not elaborate on."