Ways to prevent Theft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rridgway

Jul 29, 2019
That would work too.

A player with Morph could fit through the 1x1 hole though... After all they could just break the ME cabling.

Best to go for the complete sphere.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I've never played on a public (not my own) server before; I'm kinda ensaddened (tm) that people actually engage in theftery (tm). :( :(

Is that like thievery? :p

...That's your answer to everything.

"People keep stealing my stuff."
"Creepers are always approaching my base"
"My kids won't go to sleep."

It's a pretty good answer though. Agreed?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure Extra Cells has encrypted storage disks which at least prevent someone from slotting them into their own drive.

That being said, I'd rig a dark cable to simultaneously turn on the system and an MFFS interdiction matrix to take the inventory of and kill anyone other than you activating the system, just to hammer down the point. Alternately, and my personal favourite, instead of killing them, trap them inside a force field. Killing is killing. Locking them in is far more vicious and if you take their stuff they're locked in until you get them out, unless they're an op or get op assistance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That would work too.

A player with Morph could fit through the 1x1 hole though... After all they could just break the ME cabling.

Best to go for the complete sphere.
Monster does not have Morph. But yeah if it is on a DW20 server and you wanted to make absolutely sure you could do the quantum ring trick.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure Extra Cells has encrypted storage disks which at least prevent someone from slotting them into their own drive.

Yes, they exist. But once you look into how you actually use them, I personally think a strongbox with your cells inside is more convenient.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure that you cant pipe/duct items in/out of a strongbox. That would rather circumvent its purpose.
Might as well just put all your storage in a warded area and then on logout use the Online detector to break the ME cable(dark cable) inside the warded area so that the system no longer has access to the storage.
Just a note, the strongboxes allow piping IF you have the setting set to non-restricted acess by all.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
No not exactly. I am proposing building all your ME drives with your discs inside a complete sphere of warded blocks. Only gap in this sphere is a single 1x1 hole where your ME cable exits(or you can even use the quantum ring thingy and make it a complete sphere). Then on logout you break the connection between the ME drives and the rest of your network(the break also happens inside the sphere). This way there is no need to take the discs out and send them anywhere, no need to send signals that can be tampered with etc. All you need is the Online detector and a ME dark cable.

You know you can just put the wireless access point inside the sphere and close it off. Keep the wireless terminal with you and log off.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
They can just steal the drives.

I meant you put the access point inside the sphere *that also contains the drives.

MAC, drives and wireless transmission safely boxed up, all you keep on you is the wireless terminal. It's unbreakable.

All you have to worry about then is someone killing you and grabbing the terminal from your loot, and also the patterns from any interfaces you have connected to machines.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
nuke_it_from_orbit.jpg
Nuke? Lame. Try military sattelites and hydrogen bombs

Reactions: null123

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You know you can just put the wireless access point inside the sphere and close it off. Keep the wireless terminal with you and log off.
Yeah but for me a ME network is SO much more than just storage discs and access terminals/wireless thingy. Would still need the whole MAC, smelting, pulverising/macerating and other crafting setup, as well as hookups for farms and spawners etc. Having ALL that inside the warded section gets a bit much and there is really no need to if all you want to do is prevent people from stealing the contents of your network while you are offline.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah but for me a ME network is SO much more than just storage discs and access terminals/wireless thingy. Would still need the whole MAC, smelting, pulverising/macerating and other crafting setup. Having ALL that inside the warded section gets a bit much and there is really no need to if all you want to do is prevent people from stealing the contents of your network while you are offline.
I'm still a fan of the mousetrap method. There's no need to ward anything if you can dictate exactly where they'll be going and "discourage" it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm still a fan of the mousetrap method. There's no need to ward anything if you can dictate exactly where they'll be going and "discourage" it.

No one saying you cant do both :p
If it was me that was forced to take these measures I would probably protect my main network as mentioned earlier and then set up a fake network with just a few interesting items in them. Hook up a few ME level detectors to monitor the most valuable items(diamonds etc), and if they disappear from the fake network the level emitters will drop the MFFS trap by stealing their items and killing them off etc.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, I just improved my own trap.

So put regen and saturation potion crystals under the floor where the force field will be holding them. Just to ensure they can't die out of it.