Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_MJ

Jul 29, 2019
The beauty about 1.7 is that we can mix and mash anything, with the IDs gone we can make our packs as expansive or as simple as we want them to.

I support the idea of one energy system, and I think that RF is the best choice. I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of TE, but it has grown on me after a while. But I'm going to stay a fan of IC2, that will always be my "main" mod with TE as support.

What I want to see happen is to have an easier way to make custom packs. As in, we can specify what mods we want, and the launcher will download them automatically and keep them updated automatically.

Reactions: Jadedcat

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the same boat regarding bees, Jaded--they're what enticed me into modded Minecraft way back in the day, and they still hold a special place in my heart, but RF just makes more sense as a baseline.

And if any of us bees, trees, and butterflies fanatics get nostalgic, we could always build a "Bees and Trees" custom pack for ourselves for 1.6... ;)

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
Saying RF power is simple is a bit misleading. Much like base Buildcraft and even, to a degree, base IC2, there aren't a lot of power choices. And, as it stands, there aren't a lot of endgame power output provided. Then again, that is what add ons are for. If you think anything about RF is simple, go play with Big Reactors for a bit and come back. And then there are Extra Utilties' generators.

My only concern, at this point, is the decision to base the main power using a mod that hasn't even updated yet. Both IC2 and BC have updated and you could even build some very interesting packs using them. TE has not, and because it has not a lot of the mods depending on it also have not. Which may lead to quite a long waiting period before we get to see stable 1.7 packs.
Okay, i went and made an fairly cheap and easy to build 7*7*3 reactor in my MID GAME that is now producing nearly 5000 RF/t while using up maybe 10 yellorium per day. It also can't explode.Well THAT was challenging and complicated.

I don't really play much minecraft anymore but when i played with RF stuff i didn't really like how generic/simple it was. On the server i was playing on most people either build magmatic dynamo towers to power something or used Extra Utilities Generators.Saying that this might also just be me being a "die hard traditionalist".

Reactions: xbony2 and Padfoote

Snahsnah

Jul 29, 2019
Continuing to include things because "tradition" is silly politics and leads to stagnation. It leads to perfectly good mods getting overlooked as people cling to the "traditional" By splitting the energy systems up into seperate packs we allow for more variation

I get that you guys are tired of the same old mods in every pack. I sometimes am, too.
And I agree that it's a good idea to push for compatibility and standardization among mods in your position.
But I'd like to make 2 points:

1. I get that ic just doesn't fit into your pack anymore. But the reason so many people want to play the big pack with all the mods is because they are playing on a server with their friends, they don't have as many friends who play minecraft. They just want a pack that everyone can agree on. I know this gets easier with 1.7, but every bit of standardization goes a long way for the biggest chunk of your fans.
So please make a public big pack, even if it's not the one which gets most of your attention.

2. I like RF as a standard. But why does this mean that mods which are clearly built around their own power system, like FZ or RoC, are on the line?
I mean, are you going to exclude thaumcraft from your flagship because it has vis? At this point you are losing me. How does this increase the variation in a modpack? I think at this point you are not pushing for compatibility, you are forbidding a certain kind of design mechanic for mods.

I know you guys put a lot of work into this and if anyone of the team is actually reading this, thank you.

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, i went and made an fairly cheap and easy to build 7*7*3 reactor in my MID GAME that is now producing nearly 5000 RF/t while using up maybe 10 yellorium per day. It also can't explode.Well THAT was challenging and complicated.

I don't really play much minecraft anymore but when i played with RF stuff i didn't really like how generic/simple it was. On the server i was playing on most people either build magmatic dynamo towers to power something or used Extra Utilities Generators.Saying that this might also just be me being a "die hard traditionalist".
it just depends on what you want to spend your time on. I like to setup power early so I can build without being bothered with it. If I wanted to do more, i could with other mods, to each his own.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
The only problem with this concept is that it hurts smaller mods that add their own power systems *Cought cough my mod cough* (Which is actually alright since I plan to make my own pack anyway)

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the same boat regarding bees, Jaded--they're what enticed me into modded Minecraft way back in the day, and they still hold a special place in my heart, but RF just makes more sense as a baseline.

And if any of us bees, trees, and butterflies fanatics get nostalgic, we could always build a "Bees and Trees" custom pack for ourselves for 1.6... ;)
Bee's are great, but at some point, they wont cut it anymore.
I've been planning a thing 'like' them for awhile, but better \o/
*does a evil laugh running into his evil lair*

Reactions: Not_Steve

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013

Uh huh, then you aren't using the default config of Big Reactors. Resonant Rise from the AT Launcher has the power multiplier set at some insane number for some odd reason. By default a reactor of that size produces 250 to maybe 500 RF/tick, and to get that high you need to be using liquid ender or cryothium, neither I would exactly say are mid game.

To legitimately produce 5,000 RF/tick you'd need to build a active cooled reactor and then pipe the resulting steam into a Big Reactors turbine with 20 blades and a coil made out of 8 BLOCKS of enderium. So, about that not being end game?

Reactions: PierceSG

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Uh huh, then you aren't using the default config of Big Reactors. Resonant Rise from the AT Launcher has the power multiplier set at some insane number for some odd reason. By default a reactor of that size produces 250 to maybe 500 RF/tick, and to get that high you need to be using liquid ender or cryothium, neither I would exactly say are mid game.

To legitimately produce 5,000 RF/tick you'd need to build a active cooled reactor and then pipe the resulting steam into a Big Reactors turbine with 20 blades and a coil made out of 8 BLOCKS of enderium. So, about that not being end game?
Actually, no. Output was buffed significantly in the 0.3 update.

condor700

Jul 29, 2019
Any information on Gregtech? It has (limited) MJ support, and it's a quintessential part of FTB for many.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Actually, no. Output was buffed significantly in the 0.3 update.

Not that much. I've used it since. Unless you've messed with the default configs, you don't get that much power out of a reactor. I'm basing my numbers off my own testing and the turbine testing found in this document.

Again, if you've used Big Reactors in the Resonant Rise pack from the AT launcher the reason why you get so much power is because they have fiddled with the config files.

Reactions: PierceSG

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
If they have native RF support its possible, Mek more than the UE mods. Cal's update cycle is insane to keep up with for packs.
Mekanism is actually ALL plwer support. It adds cables that can be in UE, EU, RF, And MJ[DOUBLEPOST=1398558160][/DOUBLEPOST]
Any information on Gregtech? It has (limited) MJ support, and it's a quintessential part of FTB for many.
It has been previously stated that there will be no more Official FTB packs containing GT

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

And then you can finally finish teaching me how to breed stuff ;)

Reactions: PierceSG and Flipz

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Not that much. I've used it since. Unless you've messed with the default configs, you don't get that much power out of a reactor. I'm basing my numbers off my own testing and the turbine testing found in this document.

Again, if you've used Big Reactors in the Resonant Rise pack from the AT launcher the reason why you get so much power is because they have fiddled with the config files.
You must be using an old version. After reading your post, I thought Agrarian Skies may have tweaked the configs, so I downloaded 0.3.2a from the website and dropped in in the DW20 pack. A little 5x5 generates nearly 4.78k RF/t.
Reactor.png

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I get that you guys are tired of the same old mods in every pack. I sometimes am, too.
And I agree that it's a good idea to push for compatibility and standardization among mods in your position.
But I'd like to make 2 points:

1. I get that ic just doesn't fit into your pack anymore. But the reason so many people want to play the big pack with all the mods is because they are playing on a server with their friends, they don't have as many friends who play minecraft. They just want a pack that everyone can agree on. I know this gets easier with 1.7, but every bit of standardization goes a long way for the biggest chunk of your fans.
So please make a public big pack, even if it's not the one which gets most of your attention.

2. I like RF as a standard. But why does this mean that mods which are clearly built around their own power system, like FZ or RoC, are on the line?
I mean, are you going to exclude thaumcraft from your flagship because it has vis? At this point you are losing me. How does this increase the variation in a modpack? I think at this point you are not pushing for compatibility, you are forbidding a certain kind of design mechanic for mods.

I know you guys put a lot of work into this and if anyone of the team is actually reading this, thank you.

You missed the whole point and jumped to a bunch of conspiracy theory conclusions. Please don't do that and then ask for us to answer you. Your questions have already been answered in the thread.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I am a traditionalist. this makes me sad. I must admit... i have never made nor used a pulverizer. *runs back, crying towards his base with macerators*

condor700

Jul 29, 2019
[quote="ThatOneSlowking, post: 624108,
It has been previously stated that there will be no more Official FTB packs containing GT[/quote]

I wholeheartedly expected that comment to be buried, so firstoff let me thank the devs. A major theme in this thread seems to be "If you like/dislike something, add/remove it yourself". However, the FTB community is largely about server play. Some servers use custom packs, but its a pain to set up, and because official packs are so mainstream, its also extremely difficult to find others to play with, not to mention fixing bugs that are unique to that one combination of mods. Its not as simple as just adding or removing a few mods. Gregtech is probably the most polarizing mod in existence, but a good chunk of Beast Feeders can't play without it. I know how hard the Feed the Beast team is working, but, with many others behind me, I need to ask for Gregtech's inclusion in 1.7. Otherwise, players are forced to choose between mods and other players, which is a hard decision to make.

Edit: the quote derped. just roll with it ;)

Reactions: Kyll.Ing.
Status
Not open for further replies.