Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I personally don't understand why everyone is whining about modpacks with more refined power sources.
And as for Direwolf just keep in mind that is his personal pack and not an "official" pack, he uses whatever mods he likes... the mod lists are often similar because he still likes those mods.
Having a more refined pack (hopefully with the Hard Core Questing mod) will make each pack different. To often I look at a modpack on FTB and think "this pack has so many mods and i cant see anything different from the last pack"
Now don't get me wrong, I love a large mod pack, but I stick with FTB because ResonantRise pack is just unrefined chaos.
I am going to stop whining about people whining now (or at least try)
Look. Did you *read* my last post?
Here it is:
My problem is also that which TE3 is known as the simplest energy system ever.
I don't want simple. I want fun.
Not tedious, fun. Just like RoC.
Which brings me to this:
wiring. There is no beauty in stringing a cable across the room however you please and not having it impact anything, just working.
Also, I use EnderIO. I know what I'm talking about.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
your definition of fun might differ from other's definition :)
I'm just a bit sick of people complaining :)
I don't wish to enforce my definition of fun on others, it would suffice to have a RotaryPack.
So, to bump my last question to give it a chance for the FTB Team to answer;
So, would the new packs be exclusively TE3 and one IC2 pack, or would there be a FZ pack, and a RoC pack in addition to the ones you specifically mentioned?
EDIT: I use FZ and RoC as examples, not specifically asking about them.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
It's not "the simplest energy system ever" honestly it's one of the most complicated. RF is a very freeform api allowing you to do pretty much anything. An author could add perdition to their cables and the rf api allows them to. It allows you to make things more challenging. Does that sound like anything to you? I don't know maybe TE3's power generation? Sure you could go with the simple stream dynamo powered by charcoal as your power system or you could use a lava crystal from BM. Or a thousand other interesting and creative things. That brings us to the magmatic dynamo. You might think "pump nether lava" except TE3 doesn't have a way to do that. Alright then let's use XU. Well that takes a bunch of diamonds so fairly well balanced. Or you could use the serenade of the nether, or bees, or a thousand other creative innovative ideas. Clearly you aren't willing to do that so let's move on. Compression dynamo. Well let's start of with the fact that it's highly configurable and fuels can be added with ease at will. You could use liquifacted coal, ethanol, biofuel, oil, or literally anything you could add to the config like sludge, hydrogen, or sewage or any other fluid you want. Finally we get to the reactant dynamo. This is the pinnacle of creativity. You need to be a incredibly dull person to think that this dynamo is simple. Honestly the amount it fun I've had while setting up systems to gather materials to fuel it are probably some of the best times I've had. You can use so many things as fuel both solid and fluid. That's just TE think about all the other options added by XU, BR, and Mek.

The point is if you think RF is boring it falls on two groups. One is modders for not making a more complicated energy transfer system. Which truly isn't their fault because to me and many others it would be less fun. The other is you. Clearly you are using entry level power generation and complain it's not complicated enough. There are so many interesting ways to generate RF that calling it boring just means you're not creative.

RF isn't boring you're just using it wrong.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
>Direwolf
>Wide range of mods
Are you in a different universe than me, because he hasn't picked up many new mods. I am so f****** angry right now you wouldn't believe it. They introduce us to RotaryCraft, an amazing new mod with its own power system, then they say "Nope, RF only with a EU pack in 1.7!"
And people ask why I'm angry.
since when is rotarycraft new? It's been around for over a year.

Reactions: Padfoote

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Stated before, if you want a mess from tons of mods, you can do that on your own. The team will just do harder to make, themed packs.

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
People don't like change. We all.know that. Be it mods changing hands, new launcher or new mod pack direction.

What we as a community need to do is take these changes onboard and work with them.

If you have a problem with a mod pack change it to suit your style.

Don't like a mod? Take the fucking thing out.

Like a mod? Put it in the pack.

I don't get some of your guys problem. I never will.

:p

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
no one is talking about generation; we are talking about power transferring.
The point is that generation is where TE decided to allow things to be complicated however it didn't force these complications upon you. It means that whatever your playstyle you feel right with using TE. Everything is configurable. Honestly if a modder would make some perdition flux ducts I think everyone could be happy

Reactions: Ldog

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The point is that generation is where TE decided to allow things to be complicated however it didn't force these complications upon you. It means that whatever your playstyle you feel right with using TE. Everything is configurable. Honestly if a modder would make some perdition flux ducts I think everyone could be happy
I get what you are saying, but I feel like you could've phrased it a bit better. What you are saying is that the complication comes with how complicated you want it to be, in terms of how you want to get the fuel. Okay, makes sense, I do this.

But, the problem that keeps being brought up is about how simple the conduits are. You just put as much RF into them as you can, and then everything works. What would make a lot of us more comfortable with this change is if there was energy requirements for machines. For example, a Pulverizer doesn't work with anything above 1200RF/tick, or something like that.
People don't like change. We all.know that. Be it mods changing hands, new launcher or new mod pack direction.

What we as a community need to do is take these changes onboard and work with them.

Two things:
  1. People will always find a way to break things. Always.
  2. servers

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
People, you're complaining about a mod being too easy, but the mod is getting a complete facelift. As far as my understanding goes, RF is going to be completely separate from TE3. This means that RF is a separate API that can be installed regardless of whether TE is installed or not. Besides that, TE is also getting a facelift. Instead of being the source of RF, it will simply be a mod that uses the RF API. King lemming said earlier on that the only constant to expect is that RF is still going to exist.

And there's nothing wrong with simple. People new to mods aren't going to know what the heck is going on in rotarycraft. RF on the other hand is easy to comprehend. There's also many different, fun ways to produce RF. Potions, reactors, even mob grinders or food. Heck, I've seen someone power their entire base off of cow dung. (shout-out to @fergcraft )

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I'm a relative newb to modded MC... I'm still learning various mod systems a bit at a time. My worlds (single player) seldom last a full month, as I go so far, think of a better way to do something and restart to do it that way. I then proceed to pick a new procedure or mod to play with and repeat the process.

I understand people being comfortable doing things in certain ways... I restart worlds right now if I cannot find a Natura Redwood, after all :D

However, I'm still not "landlocked" to specific mods... I'm playing "Unstable" about half the time because I like the vanilla changes to the game, even without Natura.

I'll play with and learn whatever mods are included in the new 1.7 packs and make my decision on which I like better later. I'm really looking forward to the "themed" packs with questbooks. AgSkies has taught me a lot about different mods even though some of the recipes are specific to the pack, and I see brand new horizons opening up.

A space-race pack with Galacticraft and a Q-book called "The Right Stuff"? Sign me up right now! How about a pack based on "Archimedes' Ships", limited to non-flight, based on conquering a new continent? Not to mention the various magic based themes.

Reactions: AlCapella

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
A space-race pack with Galacticraft and a Q-book called "The Right Stuff"? Sign me up right now! How about a pack based on "Archimedes' Ships", limited to non-flight, based on conquering a new continent? Not to mention the various magic based themes.
THIS!!

Agrarian Skies has demonstrated that HQM is a real game changer.

Reactions: AlCapella

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
People, you're complaining about a mod being too easy, but the mod is getting a complete facelift. As far as my understanding goes, RF is going to be completely separate from TE3. This means that RF is a separate API that can be installed regardless of whether TE is installed or not. Besides that, TE is also getting a facelift. Instead of being the source of RF, it will simply be a mod that uses the RF API. King lemming said earlier on that the only constant to expect is that RF is still going to exist.

And there's nothing wrong with simple. People new to mods aren't going to know what the heck is going on in rotarycraft. RF on the other hand is easy to comprehend. There's also many different, fun ways to produce RF. Potions, reactors, even mob grinders or food. Heck, I've seen someone power their entire base off of cow dung. (shout-out to @fergcraft )
That's already happened. Rf and te3 have always been separate.

JusticeOF666

Jul 29, 2019
I partially agree with you, I do think RC ( and the other Reika mods ) deserve a pack. This is because I think they play out very well, even combined with TE. You should check Reika's LP. I'm building several modpacks on my own ( hopefully one of them makes his way to a third party pack) on 1.7. I'm thinking if E-net/MJ gets a pack, apart from the the flagship pack, there should be ( 1 at least ) modpack with an interesting combination of tech mods. This is just my opinion and maybe that's to specific for a normal pack. Anyways keep up the good work!

EDIT : without the quote in the quote my quote looks kinda odd

Last edited:

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Redstone flux is a relativly new energy system (compared to eu/mj),it's did not had time to grow,but it keeps growing.So you can not blame it for being simple.

Cow dung? What he is using? I would like to try it.

I partially agree with you, I do think RC ( and the other Reika mods ) deserve a pack. This is because I think they play out very well, even combined with TE. You should check Reika's LP. I'm building several modpacks on my own ( hopefully one of them makes his way to a third party pack) on 1.7. I'm thinking if E-net/MJ gets a pack, apart from the the flagship pack, there should be ( 1 at least ) modpack with an interesting combination of tech mods. This is just my opinion and maybe that's to specific for a normal pack. Anyways keep up the good work!

EDIT : without the quote in the quote my quote looks kinda odd

Yeah, i did not tried that, but checked on it. Thats too mutch reality for me, but its definietly worth one pack.

Reactions: JusticeOF666

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Redstone flux is a relativly new energy system (compared to eu/mj),it's did not had time to grow,but it keeps growing.So you can not blame it for being simple.

Cow dung? What he is using? I would like to try it.

Yeah, i did not tried that, but checked on it. Thats too mutch reality for me, but its definietly worth one pack.
Cows>MFR sewer>MFR oil fabricator> oil> Fuel> powah

Reactions: Frontrider
Status
Not open for further replies.