Unique Energy, Your Set-Ups and Plans.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'm pretty unique that I hate renewable power and run everything on fuel. If and when I run out of oil, I find some more. I have about 20 refineries running.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
MFR has this automated fishing machine.

fish --> centrifuge --> methane --> gas turbine or boiler --> ??? --> profit
Nope, I tried it. Unfortunately, the setup draws more EU than it makes. I haven't tried it with a boiler however, I was burning the methane in gas turbines. The problem is the fishers draw so much juice, and you don't get very much methane at all from fish.

OfficialD4

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hearing a lot of classy replies!

This is wonderful! Keep up the good work guys, loving these and will be sure to implement some of these into my server world.

Also, stop the IC2 argument. :p

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, I tried it. Unfortunately, the setup draws more EU than it makes. I haven't tried it with a boiler however, I was burning the methane in gas turbines. The problem is the fishers draw so much juice, and you don't get very much methane at all from fish.
Methane is actually even worse in a boiler.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
That kinda sucks that the fishing method isn't energy positive. I would have wanted to try that.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
The boiler burn value for methane got cut in half recently.

Methane itself is not really that great of a fuel source. It costs 25k eu to make, and 45k when burned for a net of 20k. It takes a lot of scale to make it worth while as a primary fuel source. It is worthwhile if it is a byproduct of producing other items you need. (mob drop farms, processing rubber wood, etc.), but I will not focus on it as a primary.

I'm actually looking at a distillation tower for fuel. It costs 2 million eu, and returns 6 million eu plus some additional products (for GT, it is an awesome return). It's just a matter of getting the needed chrome though.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another fuel route I've thought about, but not implemented yet is a RP2 and piston peat bog combined with bee propolis to make bitmous peat which is then burned in a solid fueled boiler. To convert bog earth into peat only requires bog earth next to water and some time. No fancy farms are needed, so as long as you can place a block, and collect the block, you can do it without the forestry multifarms.

The RP2 peat bog is simple enough to automate and scale. (same way you make cracked bricks and mossy bricks/cobble) I just haven't gotten into bees much yet in this world to get the propolis needed. Should be straight forward enough to build once you can make an alveary.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have used seed oil along with a golem melon farm. It takes a lot of seeds to produce enough seed oil though. It's tough to scale the energy/production properly to get a net positive production of seed oil. I have found if you feed all of your engines into a redstone energy cell, then feed your squeezers off one face, and the rest of your machines off another face, you can produce enough seed oil to actually create more seed oil then you use. If you feed your machines and squeezers off the same line, you won't quite produce enough.

edit - fixed last paragraph.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I have wondered at how effective a clay burning fuel source would be. River bees are super easy to breed, though the output is very low unless you invest up to alvearys. Alternative might be MFR sludge boiler, but at that point you are probably looking at it as a secondary fuel source. Grind up the clay, run it through an electrolyzer, burn the lithium (and maybe the sodium too). 10k to electrolyze, if you use everything 120k EU produced. Big stumbling block would be how slow semiflud generators are (8 EU/t) So you would need a LOT of them. On the plus side they are not especially expensive, even more so when you consider all the aluminum you will get from the clay. The lithium could also be burned in a boiler, but I have not done the math to know if that would be more efficient.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

You know that you can limit the EU/t on those things down pretty low and they don't run that much slower? Also, if you want to limit it even further power MFR machines with MJ. They have a max input of 10mj/t per side connected to a power network.

That said, anytime you run the centrifuge for power production you're probably only barely going to breakeven. Becuase, uhm, tree farms are so good. at producing power.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
You know that you can limit the EU/t on those things down pretty low and they don't run that much slower? Also, if you want to limit it even further power MFR machines with MJ. They have a max input of 10mj/t per side connected to a power network.

That said, anytime you run the centrifuge for power production you're probably only barely going to breakeven. Becuase, uhm, tree farms are so good. at producing power.
I just built an MFR tree farm for the first time, I'm kind of impressed. It competes with a big SC tree farm, and only takes up 3x3. Fertilizer is easy to come by, or you can set it to use bone meal in the config. It's running a fermenter feeding 18 biogas engines, a sawmill for the logs (haven't even set up anything to do with them yet), and a quarry. I'm thinking I might set up a fisher now, since I have plenty of extra mj still, and distill some of the biomass for some EU in biogenerators, to run the centrifuge. Even if it's a loss, I don't care, I can re-centrifuge the methane for carbon cells to make carbon fiber for solar panels, nano-suit, and advanced machine blocks. And still get some EU back from the hydrogen.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
You know that you can limit the EU/t on those things down pretty low and they don't run that much slower?

Still takes the same amount of energy per fish. 1 Stirling Engine is the slowest way I can think of to provide a known amount of power (in my test, 1600 MJ from 1 charcoal). It produced almost 2 fish, which is consistent with the number here: http://ftbwiki.org/Fisher
I doubt it would work any differently for EU, so the only thing this is really good for is an alternative way to convert MJ to EU if you have something against Power Converters. It uses slower/more expensive machines than melting cobblestone for thermal generators though, so you'd have to do the math to see if the conversion rate is better.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
The MFR tree farm has another advantage I figured out, sodium persulfate for your industrial grinder. Just have to boil the sludge from the harvester, and centrifuge/electrolyze/combine a couple of the products from it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's out of scope for FTB, but I'm very excited to power IC2, GT and MFR machines with Atomic Science power generation. Gonna be hexa-whatever-ing some gas and throwing that around like it's nobody's business.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I have multiple bases planned, as well as power planned for each of them. Dragon-egg siphon for magicbase, Blazefarm/witherskellyfarm for mobtrapbase, and oil for my main base. Seriously, there is so much oil in the world, I'm surprised people don't use it more. It doesn't have to be renewable, there is just so much of it. Then again, mainbase is at a pretty low-power stage. No UUM generation yet.

Berserkenstein

Jul 29, 2019
I just built an MFR tree farm for the first time, I'm kind of impressed. It competes with a big SC tree farm, and only takes up 3x3. Fertilizer is easy to come by, or you can set it to use bone meal in the config. It's running a fermenter feeding 18 biogas engines, a sawmill for the logs (haven't even set up anything to do with them yet), and a quarry. I'm thinking I might set up a fisher now, since I have plenty of extra mj still, and distill some of the biomass for some EU in biogenerators, to run the centrifuge. Even if it's a loss, I don't care, I can re-centrifuge the methane for carbon cells to make carbon fiber for solar panels, nano-suit, and advanced machine blocks. And still get some EU back from the hydrogen.

I'm using the version of MFR planter that allows range upgrades. I have two 11x11 MFR tree farms and it is powering 36 max size high pressure railcraft boilers with more than enough excess to expand if I want.

If you want methane, a rubber tree farm where you centrifuge the wood is a better option.

TomT

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using the version of MFR planter that allows range upgrades. I have two 11x11 MFR tree farms and it is powering 36 max size high pressure railcraft boilers with more than enough excess to expand if I want.

If you want methane, a rubber tree farm where you centrifuge the wood is a better option.
36 Boilers??? WOW!!

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised that two 11x11's can support that many boilers.

I don't know that my 9x9 could support anymore than say... 6-7~ of them. I'm not actually sure, actually. That's also not considering boilers running on the wood... hmm...

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised that two 11x11's can support that many boilers.

I don't know that my 9x9 could support anymore than say... 6-7~ of them. I'm not actually sure, actually. That's also not considering boilers running on the wood... hmm...

If you have a sufficient production of fertilizer, a 1x1 MFR treefarm can power 5 solid fueled boilers. Certainly more, its just that I only built 5. Thousands of extra wood every day.

The saplings, I don't use at all, so that's another few boilers.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a sufficient production of fertilizer, a 1x1 MFR treefarm can power 5 solid fueled boilers. Certainly more, its just that I only built 5. Thousands of extra wood every day.

The saplings, I don't use at all, so that's another few boilers.

That's true. I forgot about the fertilizer.