Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If someone made a macerator and electric furnace with automatic and configurable inventory push, I suspect those machines would be directly competitive even with hardmode.

Like the Automatic Macerator, Automatic Extractor, Automatic Compressor, Automatic Recycler and Automatic E-Furnace in GregTech?

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
And FTB is Slowpokes thing so really still at the end of the day that Expirience is what he wants it to be.
Also I hate to beat a dead horse but... you know if you dislike how any of the mod packs are built you are able to edit them.
I know how to edit them, I like to just play without having to constantly worry about whether I should/shouldnt change something. Then all of a sudden I don't have fun playing anymore. Thats currently happening right now and i'm considering going back to direwolf20 if/when it gets AE like direwolf promised

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I know how to edit them, I like to just play without having to constantly worry about whether I should/shouldnt change something. Then all of a sudden I don't have fun playing anymore. Thats currently happening right now and i'm considering going back to direwolf20 if/when it gets AE like direwolf promised

You know how you do that... Not have to wory about things changing constantly?

You don't use a mod pack that is created and updated by someone else. You instead install and manage he mods on your own. Then you will never be supised by any change since all of them will be your own changs.

When you opt to use a collecitons of mods being managed by someone else you are basicly leting them do the work. And if your not happy with how they do the work well you know what they say... If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
You know how you do that... Not have to wory about things changing constantly?

You don't use a mod pack that is created and updated by someone else. You instead install and manage he mods on your own. Then you will never be supised by any change since all of them will be your own changs.

When you opt to use a collecitons of mods being managed by someone else you are basicly leting them do the work. And if your not happy with how they do the work well you know what they say... If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.

I tried that, it worked for a little while. Eventually I just became to stressed about what changes I should make to the point where I didn't have fun playing and switched to direwolf20. I'm a bit OCD if you haven't realized

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
The whole idea of using FTB and a launcher is to have an easy experience. If I wanted to mess with configs and update mods on my own, I'd do that.

It's a shame there's no way of blocking updates to GregTech. I want to lock that guy out of messing with my worlds once I have my stuff set up.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The whole idea of using FTB and a launcher is to have an easy experience. If I wanted to mess with configs and update mods on my own, I'd do that.

It's a shame there's no way of blocking updates to GregTech. I want to lock that guy out of messing with my worlds once I have my stuff set up.

Yes but by picking the Launcher you are also picking to let someone else do all the work. So you lose some ablity to be upset at the choices they make.

If you leave things to someone else it just seems a bit self intitled when you get butthurt over their choices.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but by picking the Launcher you are also picking to let someone else do all the work. So you lose some ablity to be upset at the choices they make.

If you leave things to someone else it just seems a bit self intitled when you get butthurt over their choices.

Well lets take a look at direwolf. He doesn't just randomly make irrational impulsive decisions that affect peoples worlds

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Well lets take a look at direwolf. He doesn't just randomly make irrational impulsive decisions that affect peoples worlds

But once again. You are putting your modpack and your world in the hands of someone else. So since your not doing it on your own you don't have much of a leg to stand on when you disagree with their choices.

You can disagree with it all your want. But that does not change the fact that you basically are just pissing into the wind by doing that.

Heck I don't agree with all the options and choices made in Mindcrack but I am not about to get all upset and post all over the forums how these choices ruin the experience for me. No I change what I can and accept the rest because I made the choice to use Mindcrack's modpack instead of rolling my own mod collection.

It is kind of like getting pissed you let your neighbor paint your house. You let them do all the world and pay all the bills. But get pissed when you don't like the color they picked.

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
But once again. You are putting your modpack and your world in the hands of someone else.

Except that in reality, I'm having to deal with mod compatibility. So even IF I do all the work myself, I'm still having to deal with situations such as the version of Thaumcraft I want to update to requiring Forge version 1234 (I don't follow version numbers, so I made one up) and the version of GregTech I want to keep being incompatible with that version.

Doing "all the work" doesn't restore the power to me to have what I want, how I want. Not every change GregTech makes is in his config files, and sometimes the changes he makes wrecks worlds (exploding chain reactions of machines on fire, anyone? Hope you were supremely hyper-diligent in reading the changelogs before updating to that version).

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody told me that. They seem useful, but are they only compatible with G-Tech automation?

They're supposed to emit to an inventory on their output side just like TE machines. Unfortunately, last I checked they don't have the nice Thermal Expansion interface; you have to set the output side with a wrench like IC2 power storage devices.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Except that in reality, I'm having to deal with mod compatibility. So even IF I do all the work myself, I'm still having to deal with situations such as the version of Thaumcraft I want to update to requiring Forge version 1234 (I don't follow version numbers, so I made one up) and the version of GregTech I want to keep being incompatible with that version.

Doing "all the work" doesn't restore the power to me to have what I want, how I want. Not every change GregTech makes is in his config files, and sometimes the changes he makes wrecks worlds (exploding chain reactions of machines on fire, anyone? Hope you were supremely hyper-diligent in reading the changelogs before updating to that version).

I am sorry but I rarely tell anyone they are wrong about issues with points of view. But...

You are wrong here. Because once you get everything way you like to you never have to update again. You can just be happy in your own little world doing what you like.

And if the root of your problem is how a single mod effects your world that is not a problem with the choices made for FTB. It is a issue with want you want out of that one mod. So don't use that mod or accept that it had something you want but that comes with baggage you might not like.

And really it sounds like your core issue is with mods updating at different points. So yeah sorry never going to be in a world you do not have to deal with that issue unless you decide never to update again.

Reactions: Geometry

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Back to the actual point, WTF WOULD SLOWPOKE DISABLE ALL THE FREAKING EBXL MODS. his logic, I can't even

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
Because once you get everything way you like to you never have to update again.

Except that I'm not happy, even now. Mystcraft, for example, is missing functional viewing panels. When those come out, I would like to update Mystcraft so that those are in there. Ditto to a hundred other things in a dozen other mods.

And really it sounds like your core issue is with mods updating at different points. So yeah sorry never going to be in a world you do not have to deal with that issue unless you decide never to update again.

My "core" issue is one mod author being bull-headed enough to bundle his "balance" changes with his toys, being bad enough at design to have a confusing mass of badly documented configuration files, and the Minecraft mod community being primarily hostile enough that no one can just rip his so-called "balance" changes out and provide only the toys.

And NEI not using server settings. That's a pain too.

(And the weird balance choices by the Ultimate pack's CFG settings. Hard-mode Greg, EzMode other things, half of the biomes mod missing?)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
My "core" issue is one mod author being bull-headed enough to bundle his "balance" changes with his toys, being bad enough at design to have a confusing mass of badly documented configuration files, and the Minecraft mod community being primarily hostile enough that no one can just rip his so-called "balance" changes out and provide only the toys.

They are his toys. Change the configs to something you can live with or don't play with his toys.

I'm not trying to be hostile here. You can change a vast majority of his 'balance' options in the config. And if that is not good enough for you then well do you really want those toys? If so then that is just how he made his mod his way.

Look I don't agree with all the GTs choices. But your mad at something he made that is completely optional to use.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Basically I was pretty happy with the direwolf20 pack(at least I didn't want to remove anything) I like a lot of mods in the ultimate(MFR, bibliocraft, tubestuff) but I could do without them. so at this point if direwolf20 gets AE i'll go with that. Or ill add it myself[DOUBLEPOST=1362548650][/DOUBLEPOST]The ultimate is basically a joke as far as configs go

Mfr rubber trees are not disabled even though they are in ore dict with IC2 rubber
GT rubies and saphires aren't disabled even though they are in ore dict with RP gems
weird balance of configs
half of extra biomes is gone
and the IDS are kinda a mess but they can't really change them now

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
They are his toys. Change the configs to something you can live with or don't play with his toys.

The very idea that I can't mod a mod is yet another problem I have with the Minecraft community, currently. CovertJaguar is an ideal example.

I'm not trying to be hostile here. You can change a vast majority of his 'balance' options in the config.

Look I don't agree with all the GTs choices. But your mad at something he made that is completely optional to use.

Again, as I've said, his config files are a confusing mess, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're that way intentionally. He has recipe changes in GregTech.cfg instead of one of the TWO recipe.cfg files, for example. Ditto his own recipes. His "documentation" is about as vague as possible.

Essentially, altering his config files is about as non-trivial as it's possible to make it while still pretending to be possible. Considering the way he talks about other people when writing his changelogs, it would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that this is intentional.

Saying "just change the config files" is much easier said than done. To get "storage block" (I never liked that name, but lets run with it) functionality back to standard, for example, it looks like you need to change at least 81 separate lines of text. Miss one, screw one up, and you've got problems. And I don't even know if it's "just" 81 lines. For all I know there are other options buried in his config files that I haven't been able to figure out yet that also effect that section of the game.

Want to restore the tin cell recipe to default? Well, first you have to stumble across the fact that it's probably NOT default by stumbling across it in the config files. (Unless you played IC2 without GregTech before, which I haven't.) Then you have to go research what the 'default' is, rather than just having it there in the config file, which would be an entirely trivial thing to have. Ditto for other settings, like upgrade stack size.

Or you might not stumble across other changes until you and thirty other people have already gone through the work of changing the config files and distributing them to everyone.

Changing the config files is a non-trivial process just by its nature, and his attitude, organizational skills, and lack of documentation make it that much harder.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
before: don't like gregtech? don't use mindcrack, use magic pack or dw20
after: don't like gregtech? don't use mindcrack or tech, use magic, lite or dw20
now: don't like gregtech? don't use ultimate, mindcrack or tech, use magic, lite or dw20

what the hell?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The very idea that I can't mod a mod is yet another problem I have with the Minecraft community, currently. CovertJaguar is an ideal example.

But you can mod a mod. No one is stopping you. If people piss an moan about your GT Mod Mod I would tell them the same thing I say about GT.

It is optional you can chose not to use it.