Ultimate Pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

gusgillis1

Jul 29, 2019
So you don't like high-output farms and worthwhile Thermopiles?
This might be a dumb question, but what block/machine/thing in Xycraft makes worthwhile thermopiles? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the water block, but it would be a lot easier to use just plain water...

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, thank you so much! Maybe I can get back into an FTB mood, now!
So you don't like high-output farms and worthwhile Thermopiles?
Nope :3
I think the best thing for FTB isn't what mods are included, it's customization. This is why I'm very happy there's config files for the mods. I used to hate Gregtech, but rather than asking for it to get nerfed because I don't like it (EE2 I miss you so much :'c) I can just shape it to my liking :DD

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't actually given my actual opinions on the modpack so here goes. Keep in mind that i'm coming from the direwolf20 pack, so I will only talk about the mods that are new for me

Voxel Crap:
I don't really like the voxel stuff. Besides the menu and map i'm not really sure what else it even has, but there are like 5 mods. I will most likely disable them all when the official version gets released but I'm not sure. I actually like the new map a bit. I haven't noticed any major performance issues and it does what I want it to, so I'm not sure ifi'll switch to Rei's or not. Either way its just a bunch of client mods that can easily be removed/replaced

Gregtech:
I have very mixed feeling about gregtech. While I think its great that its included, and even turned on by default. I'm not sure that it should be on insanity by default. For me i'm up to the challenge but I don't think its great for new people, or people that just don't want some of the ridiculous recipes. As for gregtech, I do really like all the cool stuff it adds, especially the worlgen in the nether/end.

Minefactory:
I had switched from my own private modpack to direwolf20 and one of the biggest mods I missed was this one. I was very surprised, but very happy that they added it. It's probably a little bit OP but I deserve it because I have gregtech on insanity mode.

Power Converters:
Again, I was very surprised by this because of how controversial mods like this were in the community. I'm probably gonna use it a fair bit. I think the factorization converter is pretty useful because I don't want to set up a whole solar field for like two machines.

Flat Bedrock:
Its such a small mod and yet one of my new favorites. I absolutely love it

Nether Ores:
I don't really care that much either way about nether ores. I mean first of all I don't really go mining in the nether, especially when you constantly get attacked by pigmen and randomly blown up. But it is pretty cool to have when you are in the nether and see something useful. I do like having ore in the nether(like vanilla quartz in 1.5 or gregtech's) but when its unique to that dimension.

Petrogen:
I'm literally can think of no practical uses for this if you have power converters installed. I mean I guess it could save you a step but isn't it a crappy conversion rate?

Secret Rooms:
Very happy about this mod being included. I can think of so many ways to make my base really awesome now, especially using the gates and the ghost blocks. One of the mods I missed from my own modpack

Applied energistics:
Within a couple minutes of playing with it, it is definitely in my top 3 mods. My goal is to make a system that I can request any items in the game.

Advanced solars:
I used compact solars before and I don't really care much either way. I know advanced solars are supposed to be so much better but I don't really notice much difference. I actually like compact solars a little better by default because there are solar hats built in. But because gravisuite adds ultimate solar helmets I like advanced solars a little better.

Tubestuff:
Really awesome, I love the duplicators for testing stuff in creative, and the incinerator is gonna be really awesome for compact machines

Advanced Machines:
Its just a couple upgrades to some basic machines, I guess its useful but I don't really see the big deal either way.

So overall I definitely recommend switching because of minefactory, tubestuff, power converters, secret rooms, and gregtech. Applied energistics is most likely gonna be added to the direwolf20 pack either way.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
This might be a dumb question, but what block/machine/thing in Xycraft makes worthwhile thermopiles? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the water block, but it would be a lot easier to use just plain water...
Xychorium Ice. Thermopile on each side of the Ice block it keeps frozen, Lava under each Thermopile. Each one will output the same power as if you had surrounded them with water. The way Thermopiles work will try to melt the Ice, but the Xychorium block will keep it frozen.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Xychorium Ice. Thermopile on each side of the Ice block it keeps frozen, Lava under each Thermopile. Each one will output the same power as if you had surrounded them with water. The way Thermopiles work will try to melt the Ice, but the Xychorium block will keep it frozen.

Ooooh... man can not wait to upgrade my mega pile now. I currently run the 4 water 1 lava system for high output and zero maintenance.

But doesn't the lava get turned to basalt?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
*Blood stains*

*rolls around in gets wool all bloody*

What?

8527222392_f2f863d59f_o.png

Reactions: Lambert2191

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Ooooh... man can not wait to upgrade my mega pile now. I currently run the 4 water 1 lava system for high output and zero maintenance.

But doesn't the lava get turned to basalt?
Not unless you let two ice blocks touch one Thermopile (Or maybe if you add water, too. But that wouldn't increase the output as I understand it so I haven't tried.), so you have to stagger your crosses for maximum density instead of having a big neat block.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Not unless you let two ice blocks touch one Thermopile (Or maybe if you add water, too. But that wouldn't increase the output as I understand it so I haven't tried.), so you have to stagger your crosses for maximum density instead of having a big neat block.

I can see that. Better output for the footprint while staying stable. So your getting the same power per pile but you can cram more piles into your footprint. Yeah can't wait.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
You horrible person. i'm working on an MC animal rights petition
Ignore the mooing sound coming from that gigantic Macerator. Nothing to see here.

I can see that. Better output for the footprint while staying stable. So your getting the same power per pile but you can cram more piles into your footprint. Yeah can't wait.
Yeah, I was considering taking a floor out to make a trickle-charge Bluelectric Engine for the Energy Cell wall, but then beta-Ultimate server reset happened.
Taking a while on today's update, by the way. I seem to keep getting errors resetting the download whenever it's in high demand, because the same thing was happening when the DW20 pack was released.

Reactions: Whovian and Jyzarc

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
No one has commented about ender tanks yet. Aren't they awesome?[DOUBLEPOST=1362369320][/DOUBLEPOST]Bibliocraft was just added. Yep that happened...