To design a Hardcore or Expert Mode pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yep, I reached as far as leather making, and saw the number of steps required, and I was "nope". It might be realistic, but it's a game and meant to be fun.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'd imagine he's referring to the grind for a wind mill, because of all the hemp you have to grind by hand
Plant a large field and use bonemeal? It's not really that bad a grind, especially not compared to the paper making process that was required in SevTech to progress in Astral Sorcery.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Plant a large field and use bonemeal? It's not really that bad a grind, especially not compared to the paper making process that was required in SevTech to progress in Astral Sorcery.

oh no, I'm talking about the part where you have to sit there flipping a lever while also not being able to AFK it because of how fast it drains your hunger for however long it takes to make the wind mill sails.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
oh no, I'm talking about the part where you have to sit there flipping a lever while also not being able to AFK it because of how fast it drains your hunger for however long it takes to make the wind mill sails.
The one up side with that is that, if you've got some good food going, you can take advantage of the Nutrition mod to boost up your hearts quite a bit

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm getting less enamoured with Better With Mods, going to have to do some significant changes to recipes here because it assumes you get iron pretty early on when I want you to have to go through a decent chunk of it to get TO iron. Some of the recipes are an easy swapsie, bronze ingot for iron and bob's your uncle, others are... not so easy. Working on this, and how BWM functions with regards to this pack before continuing onward. I may also leave in other leather and paper recipes to avoid that whole... thing. This pack is about player engagement, not pointless grind, and I think those two mechanics fall more into the latter category than the former.

Reactions: Golrith

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Ahh, thats understandable. It kind of places itself as THE early-game mod, and if that's not how you want it to go down, it doesn't always play ball I imagine.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Consider Modular Machinery as an alternative. It lets you create structures out of modular blocks. So you could have a basic furnace, or surround it with modular blocks and turn it into something else.
Having seen some of the cool things that have already been done with Modular Machinery by some folks on here, I'd agree with this wholeheartedly :D I don't know if you can do much to make the gui's look a bit better though.

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Consider Modular Machinery as an alternative. It lets you create structures out of modular blocks. So you could have a basic furnace, or surround it with modular blocks and turn it into something else.
Agreed, I started using it a few weeks ago in my modpack, and now it's pretty much vital to the pack. It really bridges the gaps across mods, and allows for other ways of machine based crafting.
Could be a good way to get into technology, before the player has access to magic single blocks that do the same/similar processes.

Having seen some of the cool things that have already been done with Modular Machinery by some folks on here, I'd agree with this wholeheartedly :D I don't know if you can do much to make the gui's look a bit better though.
It doesn't really use GUIs, basically a screen that tells you what machine it is, and that it's crafting.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Agreed, I started using it a few weeks ago in my modpack, and now it's pretty much vital to the pack. It really bridges the gaps across mods, and allows for other ways of machine based crafting.
Could be a good way to get into technology, before the player has access to magic single blocks that do the same/similar processes.

It doesn't really use GUIs, basically a screen that tells you what machine it is, and that it's crafting.
Ah OK, how does it handle things like showing internal fluid tanks? Does it just list a numerical value?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The block you place that has the tank inventory (or any inventory/power) will show you what's in it when you right click that particular block.
Ahh OK, so there's no collection of the input and output slots in the main screen or anything? Eh, that's OK :) Its such a cool mod. Its low key very awesome. It has done for multiblock machines what advanced rocketry was supposed to do for rockets.

Which reminds me, is it actually possible to make decent looking rockets without going massively over your weight limits in AR?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Only JEI will show you the recipes on one screen, then it's down to the player to put the correct resource into the correct block.
That's actually really useful though! Awesome, didn't realise that!

And as for the engines, I'd be really tempted to tweak that because the way it is by default really leaves you very little options for having a cool LOOKING rocket.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That's actually really useful though! Awesome, didn't realise that!

And as for the engines, I'd be really tempted to tweak that because the way it is by default really leaves you very little options for having a cool LOOKING rocket.
What, sticking a seat directly on top of a rocket and launching not good enough for you? :D
The player makes a great heat shield....

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
I don't know if its too late to suggest content mods, but I think that NuclearCraft would be a really great mod too add. It's very powerful and interesting and some interesting progression lines could be made using fuel byproducts and the like. I would like to see a modpack that has it and puts it in the spotlight in some way instead of shoving it to the back or simply not including it at all.

Reactions: LordPINE

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Modular Machinery looks a lot like the old Engineer's Toolbox mod, but I'll give it another look. This is working out less well than I had hoped. If it lets me use a mechanical power without simply converting it to some sort of Forge Energy, then I'm more inclined to do so.

Also, instead of Geolosys, I may be instead using CoFH World + Simple Ore Samples + Ore Prospectors. I hate using three mods when one will do, but it gives me a degree of flexibility that is far superior. Furthermore, Geolosys and Quark's 'realistic' worldgen type don't like each other, and will simply not spawn ores in the world. And since I'll be using CoFH World to do worldgen, I can also use it to flatten bedrock and give me better control over oregen. The downside is that it will simply be 'iron' or 'copper' not 'limonite' or 'malachite', which is a bit of a shame.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It's not Engineer's Toolbox. (Which made me really sad.) It's making your own multi-blocks to fill holes in existing structures. Such as the Multi-block smeltery IE lacks before you get to the arc furnace.