To design a Hardcore or Expert Mode pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Pity there's no sluice boxes ala TFC that I can find. Would be a helpful early ore mechanic, perhaps using a bunch of Geolysis surface rocks to sluice out nuggets.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
MagneticCraft has a sluice box, which has Crafttweaker support, but it does mean having a whole tech mod installed for that one function.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
There's an option to smelt samples into nuggets. That should do for copper/tin. Right now, I'm trying to work Geolosys's config file to produce larger but rarer deposits, but have multiple samples sprinkled across the surface. Coal samples I think turn into coal as well, so that could be an early-game source of coal as long as you make sure you mark the deposit to come back to.

An issue I am currently having, however, is that I can't seem to see the chunk boundaries when I turn the option on, either with the Prospector's Pick or with F9 through Dynamic Surroundings, which is rather annoying. Still trying to track down what is causing it.

I haven't started tweaking recipes just yet, but really there will probably be just minor edits, mostly with moving iron smelting out of regular furnaces. That will be my next big project. I've never used CraftTweaker before, so this will definitely be a learning experience.

Once I get that taken care of, I'm looking at including Immersive Engineering and follow-on mods for the final stages of the initial project.

As an aside... looking into what other sorts of mods I want to include, and wondering if I should include a magic mod or two. The initial vision was something like Infitech2's dovetailed tech/magic progression, needing tech to progress magic and vice versa. I'm just considering what sorts of magic mods would be appropriate for this, and what would be required to weave the magic and tech together. Thaumcraft seems like a good choice, it takes a very logical Renaissance era methodology with regards to magic, creating theories and testing them out to prove or disprove to understand the principles surrounding them, mostly by hunt and peck, by cause and effect. And so thematically, it makes a whole lot of sense. I'm also tempted to include Astral Sorcery, because it also has a Grecian vibe, callbacks to Plato and Archimedes and the original thinkers that the Renaissance based their work on.

I think I'm going to avoid Blood Magic, as much as I like the mod I don't think it'll fit the vibe I'm going for. Likewise with Abyssalcraft. I've heard that there's a new magic mod that has been getting some fame lately called Wizardry. While interesting, I don't think I'm going to be including it. Doesn't seem very feature-finished yet, and seems to be a bit more powerful than what I'm looking for at the moment.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Alright, I like where this is going, but there's one thing I have to fundamentally disagree with. "Resource scarcity is a staple of expert packs". The reason I disagree with this is because it doesn't add much to the gameplay. For example, One of the best Expert packs out there is Divine journey (if you can get past DRPG), And While everything is super expensive, Resource scarcity is rarely an issue. The pack has vienminer and easy access to unbreakable tools, Magical crops are unlocked incrementally, and Mods that other expert packs would lock into the endgame such as Big Reactors or AE2. And the reason for this (from what I can tell) Is simply because that's not what the pack is about. DJ is about building Big Hecking (are we allowed to swear on here?) automation for absolutely hecking everything.

Now Your pack, According to you, is going to largly be built around Exploration, So instead of having an ore scarcity, make the player *want* to go into the caves and explore. probably the best method to do this would be to do something similar to what *A Polychromatic journey* does. Nerf Strip mining (in APW's case, that means removing the tool forge) and Buff caves, either by making them more expansive and/or by having lots of underground structures to explore. This way, It doesn't feel grindy to have to go down into the caves because you were 3 iron or a diamond short and you're further enforcing the themes of your pack.
Agree with both of these having skimmed the surface of Divine Journey and currently stumbling my way through APW.
True difficulty can only be obtained through new mods and changes to basic mod mechanics. It brings me back to the days when I first started modded years ago, stumbling around FTB Infinity Evolved trying to figure my way through it all. Oh, this looks cool, let's make that or ooh that does that, let's make that. Stumbling your way through the pack trying to figure it all out, not grinding for resources in the strip mine. ChromatiCraft perfectly illustrates this, no one is the Closet Gamer's discord will share CrC progression so I have to figure it all out by myself and it's fun and unique. It doesn't matter if you change Botania's recipes, it's still Botania. You have either drastically alter Botania or get different mods, pack makers seem to have decided on standard mods that will just be in every pack, like Thermal Expansion and Tinkers Construct. Which is not good, we need new mechanics and mods, not harder recipes for the same mods.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Did you say IE would be a focus mod? If so you could tweak the hammer recipe to give nugget dusts.
I haven't decided what to do with the hammer recipes yet. I'm tempted to simply disable them, really. With the alloy smelter multiblock, there's no real need for dusts that I can think of.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
How far back are you pushing the Alloy Kiln?
Not far at all, really. It's going to be how you get into the bronze age in the first place. Probably push it to requiring some BWM advances to build. Not sure how I'm going to gate it yet. Maybe require charcoal to make the kiln blocks, which requires BWM kiln?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Personally I disable all hammer recipes, as they really make the need for building machinery obsolete.
Cheap hammer that takes durability vs a more expensive powered machine? Hammer always wins.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Not far at all, really. It's going to be how you get into the bronze age in the first place. Probably push it to requiring some BWM advances to build. Not sure how I'm going to gate it yet. Maybe require charcoal to make the kiln blocks, which requires BWM kiln?
Question: I know this is a bit SevTech, but: could you make vanilla bricks require the BWM kiln? Or does that itself need bricks to make?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Question: I know this is a bit SevTech, but: could you make vanilla bricks require the BWM kiln? Or does that itself need bricks to make?
The kiln itself is a multiblock structure which requires three brick blocks. However, I can probably make the bricks require one of the other BWM things instead of the vanilla furnace. Having said that, I'm wanting the External Heater from IE to actually get some love for a chance, so I am hesitant to pull too many things out of the Furnace.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm wondering whether there are any other brick-like materials that could be used for the alloy kiln; there's no sort of "refractory brick" is there? Hmm.

Or as an alternative, something could be swapped out for the other component of alloy kiln bricks maybe?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm wondering whether there are any other brick-like materials that could be used for the alloy kiln; there's no sort of "refractory brick" is there? Hmm.

Or as an alternative, something could be swapped out for the other component of alloy kiln bricks maybe?
I'm not sure it is possible to change around what the kiln forms. BWM checks the space above the Kiln block for an empty space immediately surrounded by three bricks for the Kiln to function. It is hard-coded into the core mechanics, and it isn't a recipe, so stuff like CraftTweaker can't affect it.

However, I could alter the recipe for the alloy kiln bricks, and I can make sure that something suitably... appropriate... is used for it. I just have to make sure it doesn't require iron, which might get interesting.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm not sure it is possible to change around what the kiln forms. BWM checks the space above the Kiln block for an empty space immediately surrounded by three bricks for the Kiln to function. It is hard-coded into the core mechanics, and it isn't a recipe, so stuff like CraftTweaker can't affect it.

However, I could alter the recipe for the alloy kiln bricks, and I can make sure that something suitably... appropriate... is used for it. I just have to make sure it doesn't require iron, which might get interesting.
Yeah, was definitely thinking of the alloy kiln brick recipe being altered, not the BWM one! :) Like swapping out the sandstone in the recipe. Or, and this is a bit mad I know: if you have it with 4 sandstone and 4 bricks around a central item, and have that central item be some sort of mortar or similar - perhaps potash or something - that requires BWM.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... Do you want exploration to be a thing? You could make structures generate in the world containing BWM brick blocks. So instead of having to go through the long, hard chain, you can potentially find structures in the world containing the materials you need.

Hammer recipes are a bit weird. I mean, you need the hammer to make the metal press and the the actual plate press. So you either cripple the hammer, or you force the user to burn resources to make enough plates to get the press running. Unless... custom recipe in the alloy kiln, with a clay plate mold, that's consumed each time. (BUT STACKS.) So you can't hammer plates, but you can smelt ingots in the alloy kiln into plates.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hmm... Do you want exploration to be a thing? You could make structures generate in the world containing BWM brick blocks. So instead of having to go through the long, hard chain, you can potentially find structures in the world containing the materials you need.

Hammer recipes are a bit weird. I mean, you need the hammer to make the metal press and the the actual plate press. So you either cripple the hammer, or you force the user to burn resources to make enough plates to get the press running. Unless... custom recipe in the alloy kiln, with a clay plate mold, that's consumed each time. (BUT STACKS.) So you can't hammer plates, but you can smelt ingots in the alloy kiln into plates.
I do like the idea of providing alternate solutions and giving the player choices about what play style they prefer. It's an interesting idea. I'll have to give it some thought.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Especially with BWM, some of the crafting steps required tip over into "tedius" territory and was one of the main reasons I stopped playing SevTech early on. For me, it wasn't fun (and some of the early game automation options actually made things way too easy).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Especially with BWM, some of the crafting steps required tip over into "tedius" territory and was one of the main reasons I stopped playing SevTech early on. For me, it wasn't fun (and some of the early game automation options actually made things way too easy).
If you mean the leather tanning and paper making processes, I completely agree, which is why I am not requiring either for actual progression beyond the Saw recipe requiring leather belts. Of course, paper is how you get extra Modifiers in Tinker's, so if you want that then you'll need to do it, but it'll be largely optional.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
If you mean the leather tanning and paper making processes, I completely agree, which is why I am not requiring either for actual progression beyond the Saw recipe requiring leather belts. Of course, paper is how you get extra Modifiers in Tinker's, so if you want that then you'll need to do it, but it'll be largely optional.

I'd imagine he's referring to the grind for a wind mill, because of all the hemp you have to grind by hand