Time for me to actually learn Java.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Books, tutorials, and even a university degree are all fine.
But what do you want to DO with all this newfound knowledge?

Create yourself a project and work towards creating it in java. Make it something you enjoy (that spiffy mod you always wanted to do). Dont make it something trivial (hello world = bad idea). But make it something you can reasonably accomplish (Minecraft 2.0 = bad idea).

Unless you have some kind of direction, your learning efforts are going to stagnate.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Going with thenewboston on youtube. This will be supplemented by other youtubers as I need more information, and some cheap (albeit dated) textbooks I have.
Will be posting my milestones/accomplishments on twitter. This is in hopes that I can get some feedback or encouragement when needed. Even simpler, so people know how far I am in the learning process.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Last night I got through Tutorial 10.
Attempted to make a little program incorporating all of the lessons thus far. Quickly learned I don't yet have the knowledge required.

Going for the next 10 tonight :)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Just went through 21-30.
Arrays are confusing me.
I'm not seeing how all of these parts can make a whole.
But then again, you can't taste egg in cake, can you?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Not at all. 90% of all problems brought to be a solved by troubleshooting, because people are not intelligent.

There's a reason that the number 1 and number 2 questions with scripted "customer service" (Level 1) are interchangeable:

A). "Is it plugged in?"
and
B). "Is it turned on?"

The problem with many Level 1 scripts is that the next step usually reformats the hard drive and returns the system to it's "out-of-box" state including OS software god knows how many updates old and bloatware that the user only recently managed to remove from the system, all with no regard to the user's personal files and loaded software.

As far as the OP, regarding Java references, I prefer O'Reilly books. They tend to present the full command with the full set of arguments/options and also point out any differences between versions.

My Java books all date back to 1996, when I supported an OS/2 data center... Warp came out using Java as the language for it's UI and all desktop apps. I suppose I should take some time to brush up on and update my set.