Time for me to actually learn Java.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
In light of recent events, it's time for me to actually learn Java. To provide the best support I can, I should learn the right way, not the backwards way I've adapted and Googled.

So suggestions on where to look for classes, tutorials, learning aids will be much appreciated.

Reactions: RedBoss

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Are you gonna make a mod in light of this? also congrats on making this bold step. I have been programming for 5 years and even then, the way that Java applies to MC still confuses me xD.

some errors just make no sense to me

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Oh boy.

My first recommendation is to learn how the JVM works. As well as the arguments that go with them. It's allowed me a much greater understanding of the why behind the code and errors.

I also suggest getting a reference book. A how to learn java guide.

Then get myrathi to give you lessons.

Neil_50437

Jul 29, 2019
To do FTB support you only have to know simple java like reading crash reports and JVM arguments well unless some crazy stuff happens at the help desk :p

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
If you find something good, mind letting me in on what you find? I, too, feel like I should get to know some more of the technical whys and hows of Java specifically (as opposed to computer programming in general) due to recent events. :)

To do FTB support you only have to know simple java like reading crash reports and JVM arguments well unless some crazy stuff happens at the help desk :p

Technical support maxim #673: Never underestimate what the customer can manage to do to cause problems for themselves. :p

Reactions: Ashzification

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019

I love how you say simple :) To understand those crash reports, you need to know Minecraft Forge inside out...

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019

I've gathered that. I've been looking at modded crash logs for almost 2 years now. One year with FTB, and frankly not much has changed. It would be nice to understand what causes it.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Not at all. 90% of all problems brought to be a solved by troubleshooting, because people are not intelligent.

and out of the other 10%, about 75% of the answers are found on google :) I have maybe ran into 4 or 5 problems on the forums that I couldnt find anything on google[DOUBLEPOST=1378348664][/DOUBLEPOST]ahh look at that ash, you are my 500th liker :)

Reactions: Ashzification

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I did the math once. I don't remember exactly but the help desk demographic resembled this at one time:
Ex. 100 tickets (just say I reply to all of them)
85% do not reply to me, they get closed after 2 days
Of the remaining 15%:
75-80% solved by troubleshooting
10-15% solved by other articles I've posted