Thoughts about open source Minecraft alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
You can be highly moddable with a C++ engine and a Lua API. It just depends on how much you expose through LUA.

With Java, anything and everything is changeable, but with a LUA API the developer limits things.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Python is a nice language. However, it is considerably slower then Java. Both Python and Java run on a virtual machine but the big difference is that Python is a very dynamic language which means that it is a lot harder to do optimizations in. The Java Virtual Machine on the other hand has been optimized greatly upto the point that well written Java programs can run at almost C/C++ speed levels.

Python would be good as a scripting language however. I myself have made a Minecraft like voxel engine based on my Crystal Space 3D engine. The voxel engine itself is written in C++ with Python as a scripting/modding language.
As I understand it, the problem with Minecraft that makes it slow is crappy coding, not the choice of language. Python would at least encourage better coding habits, since there's much less boilerplate crap that goes into every file (and thus more mindspace that can be put toward the algorithms instead), and the whitespace requirement actually improves code structure by enforcing greater readability. I also find Python to be much easier and clearer for implementing any number of details. The only major problem is the GIL (global interpreter lock) which enforces a single thread of execution within a single instance of the interpreter; in this case (threading), Java is substantially better, with finer levels of control and the (potential) ability to use multiple CPU cores during execution rather than only one at a time.

I looked around for information, and it looks like Python's speed is primarily about one's own choices of code implementation; some operations take a lot more oomph than others. Java, on the other hand, seems to perform pretty much the same no matter what choices you make. As for memory usage, that is again usually a choice of implementation, not a default.

Personally, I think a lot could be said for re-implementing Minecraft in BASIC... but who'd even give it a second look? Without a high-speed renderer, the whole project would be sunk on the spot.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd like to see Minecraft or clone have a configurable world gen screen, where you define the % water vs landmass, landmass size, and global temperature. So make your own worlds of frozen oceans with tiny islands, or super hot deserts with no water, or, just normal worlds. I would also like it to show you the biomes currently loaded, and you tick the ones you want in your new game. No messing with configs, and finding they don't work due to cross mod conflicts.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see Minecraft or clone have a configurable world gen screen, where you define the % water vs landmass, landmass size, and global temperature. So make your own worlds of frozen oceans with tiny islands, or super hot deserts with no water, or, just normal worlds. I would also like it to show you the biomes currently loaded, and you tick the ones you want in your new game. No messing with configs, and finding they don't work due to cross mod conflicts.
I saw on twitter that Searge was working on something similar.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think a continuation of Java usage would give the community the highest chance to retain current mod developers.

Is it pretty much a given that Microsoft will not allow Minecraft code to remain in Java? Due to Microsoft's well-established position against Sun/Oracle and their Java?

If this is indeed the case, then writing open-source alternatives in Java would mean it could never be challenged in court? Because Microsoft's version will be in a different language?

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
YES. We must be able to configure ALL of the things!!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
YES. We must be able to configure ALL of the things!!
I feel that should be the "next big thing" for Minecraft. There's just so many game variables that appear to be hard coded, which if configurable, would allow massive customisation of vanilla, let alone a modded environment. For a procedurely generated world, it's actually how limited your options are in generating it.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
IIRC, you can do most of that in Vanilla 1.8. And for 1.7, you can use the Climate Control mod.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
On another note, I'm personally sick and tired of the mineX and Ycraft naming conventions. We need to give alternatives names more solid than minecraft puns.