Thoughts about open source Minecraft alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm not spending a single cent on that game until they fix their performance. Otherwise, I'd be throwing my money away on something I can't use.

Reactions: FyberOptic

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly if minecraft does end up being screwed, I probably won't relocate to an alternative. I love minecraft the way it is now and it is hands down the game that I have spent the most time and effort on. I wouldn't be able to settle with a crappier version when I so loved the original, and honestly I think it may be a waste of time to try.

Reactions: Wagon153

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Is it pretty much a given that Microsoft will not allow Minecraft code to remain in Java? Due to Microsoft's well-established position against Sun/Oracle and their Java?

The advantage of Java is that its working on PC, Mac and Linux. If it should be made in .NET (oh yeeeaahh...) there can be problems with Mono. So I dont think they will remake it and avoid Java.

Grolimo

Jul 29, 2019
It may be possible to mod a C++ program, but probably not without recompiling or at least relinking. I don't know how Java works, but I guess modifying existing code at runtime would be pretty much impossible compared to Java.

You all seem to be forgetting that Microsoft is king of API's.
Also C++ is designed to be extensible in much the same way as Java is. Synactical they're very similar, which is also the danger because functional they're quite different.

Modability of the game is basically how good the API is. Currently modders have converged on a few API's that they collectively created, but these API's themselves are nothing more than hacks into the source code of Minecraft and re-compiles of it. You won't need hacking the source code if Microsoft provides good API's.
Something that Mojang should have done a long time ago and have been telling that they would for several years without actually delivering.[DOUBLEPOST=1411123080][/DOUBLEPOST]
The advantage of Java is that its working on PC, Mac and Linux. If it should be made in .NET (oh yeeeaahh...) there can be problems with Mono. So I dont think they will remake it and avoid Java.

Microsoft doesn't write games in c#, they use C++ because that's a magnitude faster than both c# and Java.
And it's not the language any application is written in that determines wether or not it works on OS a or OS b, it's the compiler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niels Henriksen

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I happen to be the author of the Crystal Space 3D engine which is written in C++. In that engine we have a modular plugin system which allows you to (even at runtime) add plugins to a running C++ program. The plugins themselves are also written in C++. Was some work to get this operational (much easier in Java) but it is possible.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
When they're writing it in C++ linux users will have a hard time unless they release a compiled version. Microsoft sure as hell won't distribute the source code.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Microsoft doesn't write games in c#, they use C++ because that's a magnitude faster than both c# and Java.
And it's not the language any application is written in that determines wether or not it works on OS a or OS b, it's the compiler.
whether C# and java can be as fast as compiled to machine is an old debate but I'm on the side that a good optimizing JIT will make up a lot of ground (no self respecting VM will allow itself to remain in interpreted mode for long)

and java was designed to be cross platform by virtue of the JVM which is distributed in a non cross platform format but there is a implementation for all platforms.

Mono is the *nix version of the .NET VM

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
whether C# and java can be as fast as compiled to machine is an old debate but I'm on the side that a good optimizing JIT will make up a lot of ground (no self respecting VM will allow itself to remain in interpreted mode for long)

Liked specifically for this part. I've always held that a tool is only as good as the person using it.

As for Microsoft not using Java, I believe that stems from back in the day when J# was a thing, and Sun basically sent them a C&D over it. I also find the discussion on openness quite ironic since it is due to Microsoft's open documentation and standards on the .Net Framework and VM that allows the Mono project to flourish as it has, and Java's own documentation and standards are quite closed. Both sides, I can understand: allowing other people to work with your stuff and find new ways to use it can be cool, but on the other, I also understand not wanting people to screw with your product and redesign it for things for which it wasn't intended to be used.

However, all of this speculation is assuming that Microsoft will do anything with regards to Minecraft's development. Mojang is still there, minus like, three people. They're still the development team, and its still their project. Honestly, the most I see Microsoft doing with regards to Minecraft's development is keeping it on the rails so Jeb and Co don't get distracted by the newest mod feature they want to add to vanilla with a completely bollixed implementation.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It does sound unlikely that MS will release it Open Source if even Mojang didn't. But on the other hand, MS is not totally against Open Source. Check out this page for example: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/openness/default.aspx#opensource

Its a simple value proposition for Microsoft: If the value of the IP they gain access to by adopting an OSS project is greater than the value of the IP they would loose control of, then they adopt. This is the nature of a profit driven company - and how you actually CAN understand their decisions.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I remember from somewhere that Microsoft has announced that they continue with a 1.9 update before a 2 update (Which is probably when the fundamental changes are going to happen)

Edit: edited per McJty's point. I remember reading that in one of the announcements, so i might just banged my head at something (until i can search any combination of minecraft, microsoft, 2,1.9,, and update that doesn't end up in "Update: microsoft bought minecraft for 2 bil $ (1.9 bil euro)")

Last edited: