Thoughts about open source Minecraft alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Let's just say its more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes, even if we all pooled our money together. Well, except for me. I'll have enough money to buy the skull of Steve Jobs and turn it into a decorative cereal bowl.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Let's just say its more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes, even if we all pooled our money together. Well, except for me. I'll have enough money to buy the skull of Steve Jobs and turn it into a decorative cereal bowl.
1. How much would that cost.
2. How the hell would you get so much using legal means.

Reactions: pc_assassin

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
You know if you do that, Apple will suddenly have trademarked Breakfast. And eating a morning meal will become their IP.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
1. How much would that cost.
2. How the hell would you get so much using legal means.
It all depends on whether Jobs decides to donate his corpse to "science". I'm sure a big enough "Donation" to a medical institution could facilitate a specific skull going missing.

That said, knowing what I know about Jobs..... I don't imagining him donating.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Course perhaps that's one reason Mr. Gates is being such a philanthropist...... making sure that when he asks a "favor" he'll be likely to get it....

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
It looks cool, but it's not exactly Open Source, is it?

Oh sorry, you're right. Forgot that the topic was about open-source ones specifically. I saw that it was C# and immediately thought moddable since that language is similar to Java in regards to decompilation. I already saw part of the code just when using ILSpy on it, even.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Oh sorry, you're right. Forgot that the topic was about open-source ones specifically. I saw that it was C# and immediately thought moddable since that language is similar to Java in regards to decompilation. I already saw part of the code just when using ILSpy on it, even.
Making mods for a proprietary product is gifting them to that product's owner in hope that he will let others play with this mod too. Until he decides that he would rather change product, or sell it, or stop supporting it, burying all the hard work of modders.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Making mods for a proprietary product is gifting them to that product's owner in hope that he will let others play with this mod too. Until he decides that he would rather change product, or sell it, or stop supporting it, burying all the hard work of modders.
Remember that Minecraft is also proprietary -- and has been this whole time. It's about licensing and permissions. If Notch hadn't started selling access to the game, would we all have bought into it? Only by having it in places people go to purchase games do most people realize it's available for purchase; the media are simply a bonus. There are similar games (Blockland, Sauerbraten) where you can build the map while you're in it, but they aren't really for sale and their popularity seems minimal. And I don't know why.

Maybe it was the game types? The interface? Maybe how the GUIs were designed? Maybe the block textures? Probably it was because someone popular decided to make a Let's Play. I'm not entirely sure.

But I do know that for whatever reason, it is rare for Open Source software to get really popular with the public. So if we do this, we need to do it right. We need publicity, as well as a good (intuitive, useable) interface. And we need decent-enough textures to attract texture artists for it. We need... well, Minecraft.

Crud. This is going in circles. I hope MS takes a higher road instead of an acquisitional approach to mods, and lets us keep playing with the internals.