Thoughts about open source Minecraft alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Me and a few folks are working on a game that's loosely inspired by Minecraft (as well as, like, a dozen other things). No, it won't be open source, but our plan does include a full suite of developer tools. Current plans are to use C# and .Net, perhaps Unity as well if we can find a good voxel-based engine that doesn't cost $3,000 (Yeah, I'm lookin at you, TerrainEngine, you beautiful, horridly expensive thing). It'll also look a lot prettier than Minecraft, something like the video below. Yes, we fully intend to actually sell the game for cold, hard cash. Probably thru Steam. Its still largely in the planning and "choosing a bloody engine" phases, but we're quite serious about this.

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
Me and a few folks are working on a game that's loosely inspired by Minecraft (as well as, like, a dozen other things). No, it won't be open source, but our plan does include a full suite of developer tools. Current plans are to use C# and .Net, perhaps Unity as well if we can find a good voxel-based engine that doesn't cost $3,000 (Yeah, I'm lookin at you, TerrainEngine, you beautiful, horridly expensive thing). It'll also look a lot prettier than Minecraft, something like the video below. Yes, we fully intend to actually sell the game for cold, hard cash. Probably thru Steam. Its still largely in the planning and "choosing a bloody engine" phases, but we're quite serious about this.

Can I help?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Can I help?
I'd have to ask the other two people on this thing, but perhaps...are you at all familiar with Visual Studio, C#, the .Net Framework (specifically, .Net 4.0), and such things as serialization, threading, and developing event-based applications?

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
I'd have to ask the other two people on this thing, but perhaps...are you at all familiar with Visual Studio, C#, the .Net Framework (specifically, .Net 4.0), and such things as serialization, threading, and developing event-based applications?
C# is my preferred language. (Sorry, everyone who loves java) I use Visual studio for development, and I am entry-level with threading and very good at event-based programming.

cloudbyday90

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my take. In as much as I LOVE minecraft, and all the mods and modpacks associated with it. It is horribly unoptimized. My computer, while not beefy ( quad i7 and Geforce 640 LE), cannot run this game effectively. Admittedly, the 640 LE isn't a beastly GPU, should still run a steady 30 - 35 FPS Average, but yet I run low 20's -25, even dips into the teens. I will at SOME point invest in a nicer computer, but I would just love if they could optimize the minecraft code....it gets worse every generation. I think the last time i ran above 100 is the 1.5.2 generation.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
C# is my preferred language. (Sorry, everyone who loves java) I use Visual studio for development, and I am entry-level with threading and very good at event-based programming.
Well, damn, you certainly sound good. Do you happen to have any examples of stuff you've written that I could peruse? Love me a good portfolio.

Silent-Hunter

Jul 29, 2019
The main issue is it is written in two languages; C++ and Lua, which mod developers may not know/want to learn just to use Minetest. Java being the language MC is written in plays a big part in the amount of mods there are.

Also, I've heard games written in C++ are a PITA to mod.
It uses C++ for the engine only. All modding is done via Lua. I have Minetest, and I think it's really nice, with the right mods. Also you can mod it to hell and it won't run bad or crash. There's less mod conflicts than Minecraft. For Minetest, something like FTB is almost unnecessary, except to make it easy to get lots of mods at once.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019

I don't want to help, but I do want to learn how to do this stuff. Is it fine if I just can get your source code to look at and play around with?

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019

I don't want to help, but I do want to learn how to do this stuff. Is it fine if I just can get your source code to look at and play around with?
Actually read the post, he says that it is not open source.

Silent-Hunter

Jul 29, 2019

Linux support? :)

Silent-Hunter

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of people have though. The Mystcraft and Thaumcraft guys are doing versions for Minetest, and Eloraam did a clone of the redstone system for it I believe, or that was someone else I can't remember.

ChatFawkes

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of people have though. The Mystcraft and Thaumcraft guys are doing versions for Minetest, and Eloraam did a clone of the redstone system for it I believe, or that was someone else I can't remember.
You got a source for that? It would be interesting to see Thaumcraft (or something like it) in another game.