Thoughts about open source Minecraft alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone want to help develop an alternative to Minecraft? I have some ideas for one, but it will require a lot of work, as I would shy away from voxel-based building in favor of something better.

Reactions: bounding star

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I think one problem facing Minecraft alternatives, open-source or not, is the fact that there are so many of them. And that Minecraft itself is still functional. With so many different alternatives, players, developers, and modders will end up dividing themselves between them, with the result being less content for each individual game, even if the total amount exceeds that of modded Minecraft today.

Unless, of course, the Minecraft-spinoff community as a whole manages to agree on one particular alternative, as many Minecraft modders seem to have done on the RF power system. How long this will take is anyone's guess- it might be years before anyone manages to create a game that works well enough for enough people.

However, I'm still in the camp that's waiting to see what will actually happen with this Microsloth business before panicking. At the worst, I can keep on using the MC versions versions and modpacks already on my hard drive in singleplayer, even if I have to play offline.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I think one problem facing Minecraft alternatives, open-source or not, is the fact that there are so many of them. And that Minecraft itself is still functional. With so many different alternatives, players, developers, and modders will end up dividing themselves between them, with the result being less content for each individual game, even if the total amount exceeds that of modded Minecraft today.
As far as I know, there is only one close enough alternative - Terasology. OThers are either proprietary, or use proprietary technology (such as C#), or too hard to mod, because are written in C.
And "problem" :) that "Minecraft is still functional" Microsoft seems to be about to solve for as.

And I actually hope that MC willcrash and burn, with MS help or not, otherwise modders will not leave their comfort zone.

Reactions: bounding star

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Unless, of course, the Minecraft-spinoff community as a whole manages to agree on one particular alternative, as many Minecraft modders seem to have done on the RF power system. How long this will take is anyone's guess- it might be years before anyone manages to create a game that works well enough for enough people.
Looking at how fast Sponge seems to be taking off at the moment, this can go very quickly once a critical mass of perceived "important people" is reached.

Judging from the twitterings of Lex, cpw, Pahimar, CJ etc. this is possible; on the other hand they might also take the opportunity to leave modding for MC-like games behind and start off in a completely new direction.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Considering that Lex currently lives off modding minecraft (at least, that's my understanding), I think that if MS were to wreck minecraft modding he would be one of the biggest pushes for an open(er) sourced moddable clone.

Reactions: Ritt

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
It's a circle of about a 10 foot radius with a 40 foot cliff on one side and a steep incline down to ground level. It's always full of ~15 feet of water and it echoes a ton. Recently there's been a giant crow's nest on a tree overgrowing the hole, just adding to the effect.
I totally read that as "giant cow's nest" ... and for a moment I was like WAT?!

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I totally read that as "giant cow's nest" ... and for a moment I was like WAT?!
No, I'm quite sure you were like
2537170-1886075214-7cd.j.jpg

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
It may be possible to mod a C++ program, but probably not without recompiling or at least relinking. I don't know how Java works, but I guess modifying existing code at runtime would be pretty much impossible compared to Java.
look into how DFHack or Dwarf Therapist work, both are for Dwarf Fortress which is written in C or C++ (can't be bothered to look that factoid up)

they link in a DLL into the running game and can execute custom code which designates digging areas, manages work orders, changes assigned labors and such

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
-snazzyCow-
For all of you who are having "issues" with this supposed bargain between Microsoft & Mojang:
This is a picture of two dolphins. The two dolphins appear normal when viewed by a stress-free individual. This test is not accurate enough to pick up mild stress levels.
It's quite simple. If there is anything that appears different about the dolphins (ignore the fact of the slight color differences) it is often an indication of potential stress related problems. Differences, if any, may also indicate the source of your stress.
Sit upright and viewing the screen head-on, take a deep breath, breathe out and then scroll down and look directly at it.
If there is anything out of the ordinary then you should consider taking things a little easier…
stress02.jpg

Reactions: McJty and dothrom

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
For all of you who are having "issues" with this supposed bargain between Microsoft & Mojang:
This is a picture of two dolphins. The two dolphins appear normal when viewed by a stress-free individual. This test is not accurate enough to pick up mild stress levels.
It's quite simple. If there is anything that appears different about the dolphins (ignore the fact of the slight color differences) it is often an indication of potential stress related problems. Differences, if any, may also indicate the source of your stress.
Sit upright and viewing the screen head-on, take a deep breath, breathe out and then scroll down and look directly at it.
If there is anything out of the ordinary then you should consider taking things a little easier…
stress02.jpg
You f***er.

Reactions: Wagon153

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
stress02.jpg
Oh god. I'm REALLY stressed out then. I better go lay down.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
It doesnt matter if the game is writting in Java, C#, C++ or BASIC. All that matters is that it has a well documented API and its possible to do anything in the game. Minecraft as vanilla is not build for modding but by using Forge its made ready for modding.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
stress02.jpg
Looks fine to me.

Reactions: Eruantien

bounding star

Jul 29, 2019
And I actually hope that MC willcrash and burn, with MS help or not, otherwise modders will not leave their comfort zone.
Honestly this is what i feel, minecraft was never planned or optimized to be able to properly handle all of its mods, and people stuck with it because there were so any mods and it was so well documented. it would be fantastic to have a fresh, stable, optimized engine and a strong incentive for the modding community to move to it. At best it could be volumetric and physics and be worked on by a number of mc modders, but thats probably to much to hope for. Ah well, no harm in dreaming...

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft, gameplay-wise, is great just by itself. Any open-source alternative will need a basic "World, player, mobs, and what they do" game. Copy minecraft precisely? Make cubic chunks? Leave out the nether? Keep floating blocks? Use different mobs? Take some inspiration from TFC? There won't be community if there won't be an actual game, even if it's just a default collection of modules.