Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Thank you for stating this before I had a chance to.

I got it down to only Refined Storage that was causing my major issue, had to downgrade 3x versions to get it to load.
What version of Forge did you need to get it working? Because I'm having an issue where my loading consistently hangs up right near the end when loading RS stuff, and its on a recent version of forge which I updated to in order to get something else working...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That there still isn't, to my knowledge, a computer mod that uses a proper language like Python. Its THE reason I haven't done much of anything with computers in Minecraft since, like, 1.5. I need real data structures, not the incomprehensible prototype whatsis that Lua uses.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
What version of Forge did you need to get it working? Because I'm having an issue where my loading consistently hangs up right near the end when loading RS stuff, and its on a recent version of forge which I updated to in order to get something else working...

Forge version 12.18.2.2171

Had to downgrade RS back to v1.2.8 to get it to load with that version of Forge. Journey Map's latest update gives the same issue, and had to downgrade to 1.10.2-5.3.1

Basically, I manually update the mods, load, and wait to see what mod gives the "you got the wrong forge" error, and downgrade until it either loads or gives me a different mod that has the same issue.

It's not terrible, but it would be nice if there was some way to avoid the hassle.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Things that irk me? The sheer inability to move most IC2 machines without breaking them. I've made the Electric Wrench, followed instructions to "activate" it in "Safe Mode," and still end up with a pile of basic machine casings instead of the expensive machines.

Makes base design a lot trickier, as I basically place IC2 machines where they will remain permanently. If I have to "move" one, I first start by accumulating resources for another unit.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Things that irk me? The sheer inability to move most IC2 machines without breaking them. I've made the Electric Wrench, followed instructions to "activate" it in "Safe Mode," and still end up with a pile of basic machine casings instead of the expensive machines.

Makes base design a lot trickier, as I basically place IC2 machines where they will remain permanently. If I have to "move" one, I first start by accumulating resources for another unit.
Dear IC2 devs. Please, for the love of all that is holy, please please adopt Gregtech's wrench mechanic. It is awesome. It is intuitive. It is fun. GT machines ALWAYS do exactly what you expect them to do when you're using a wrench on them.

IC2 machines sometimes face you, sometimes face away, sometimes uproot, sometimes explode. It all depends on which direction they're facing and how well you can interpret which freaking side of an IC2 machine is its "front". Its a totally ClusterSomething.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

If you have Gravisuite, make the Gravitool. Guaranteed return and it holds enough EU to do MANY machines worth.

Reactions: Greystoke

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
If you have Gravisuite, make the Gravitool. Guaranteed return and it holds enough EU to do MANY machines worth.
I'll give that a try this evening. I'm playing on a DW20 server, running the 1.7.10 version, 1.10 build release.

The tool looks pricy to make, but now that I'm getting into the world of IC2 reactors, I'm sweating having to move/replace multiple liquid heat transfer units, steam generators, kinetic generators, MFSU's, etc. If one tool can ensure the blocks will stay in their intended form, it's resources well spent.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'll give that a try this evening. I'm playing on a DW20 server, running the 1.7.10 version, 1.10 build release.

The tool looks pricy to make, but now that I'm getting into the world of IC2 reactors, I'm sweating having to move/replace multiple liquid heat transfer units, steam generators, kinetic generators, MFSU's, etc. If one tool can ensure the blocks will stay in their intended form, it's resources well spent.
Yeah, IC2 nukes are a prime example of how annoying the wrench mechanics can be. Its difficult to determine the "front" face of many of the blocks you're working with (turbines, heat exchangers and so forth). Definitely a lesson in patience.

Btw, another option (for moving them): iirc, you can move IC2 machines with a dolly.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia

A tool, specifically designed for moving block tile entities, exists in mod Fine Stuff. It's called 'Tile Scepter'.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Are they really persisting with that stupid idea into 1.10+?

My gripe with it is this: No one plays single mods anymore. And in a pack with other machines, it makes no @#$ing sense that a group of machines breaks if not moved correctly and the rest can be moved with a pickaxe.

So, either provide a general API so ALL mods in a pack can behave this way, or remove it already. Because, if a mod maker decided to make a pack with that enabled for all machines I'd play it. But right now its just stupid.

In fact, outside of a themed pack that might use it as a difficulty, its worse than stupid: Its BAD for general gameplay. In a game about building things you are actively stifling creativity by preventing players moving machines around.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Are they really persisting with that stupid idea into 1.10+?

My gripe with it is this: No one plays single mods anymore. And in a pack with other machines, it makes no @#$ing sense that a group of machines breaks if not moved correctly and the rest can be moved with a pickaxe.

So, either provide a general API so ALL mods in a pack can behave this way, or remove it already. Because, if a mod maker decided to make a pack with that enabled for all machines I'd play it. But right now its just stupid.

In fact, outside of a themed pack that might use it as a difficulty, its worse than stupid: Its BAD for general gameplay. In a game about building things you are actively stifling creativity by preventing players moving machines around.
General API for behaviors is probably a bit overkill, but I agree that its dumb for mods to go off in a completely counter-standard direction for no reason. IC2 gets almost-forgiven since, tbh, their mechanics were there first. But I like to see a bit of adaptation in a dev.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Dear IC2 devs. Please, for the love of all that is holy, please please adopt Gregtech's wrench mechanic. It is awesome. It is intuitive. It is fun. GT machines ALWAYS do exactly what you expect them to do when you're using a wrench on them.

IC2 machines sometimes face you, sometimes face away, sometimes uproot, sometimes explode. It all depends on which direction they're facing and how well you can interpret which freaking side of an IC2 machine is its "front". Its a totally ClusterSomething.

And this is the main reason why a lot of folks don't use IC2 anymore.. Only reason one of the guys on my server uses it is for the compacting machine to make diamonds from dirt... well.. coal and flint...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Are IC2's wrench mechanics like that deliberately?

I mean they've been derpy nonsense since *at least* 1.4.7, that's plenty of time to sort them out even if the original dev fell into a volcano and let a pack of bloodlusted mongooses (mongeese?) re-write his mod.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That there still isn't, to my knowledge, a computer mod that uses a proper language like Python. Its THE reason I haven't done much of anything with computers in Minecraft since, like, 1.5. I need real data structures, not the incomprehensible prototype whatsis that Lua uses.
I mean Lua is a "proper language" but I still really want a computer mod that uses Ruby.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I mean Lua is a "proper language" but I still really want a computer mod that uses Ruby.

Would be cool if ComputerCraft had a "plugable" engine where you could choose which language a given computer uses. I want the Forth interpreter. Never got around to playing with it in Red Power 2.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Are IC2's wrench mechanics like that deliberately?

I mean they've been derpy nonsense since *at least* 1.4.7, that's plenty of time to sort them out even if the original dev fell into a volcano and let a pack of bloodlusted mongooses (mongeese?) re-write his mod.

Yes, it's part of the "challenge" of the mod..... *read the word challenge imagining me actually making air quotes with my fingers for added emphasis on sarcasm.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Would be cool if ComputerCraft had a "plugable" engine where you could choose which language a given computer uses. I want the Forth interpreter. Never got around to playing with it in Red Power 2.
If you want a computer mod where the languages can be replaced http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...476543-needs-texture-artist-need-beta-testers
However, the mod seems kind of dead sadly enough and I have no idea how complete it is as I never used it. Luckily the code is on github https://github.com/s0cks/KPComputers