Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
On principle it is a good idea. But it is obvious that the vast majority blatantly ignores stickied posts:
VAdYWxC.png

ZNQarSh.png

Bingo. If I point someone at a sticky they respond with "huh, so that's what that thing was".

Granted, they probably won't see it anyway; but then they can't blame us for not trying. :p

:p

If a picture says a thousand words, how much is a quote worth?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of mod would have such an arcane mechanic!? It leaves me completely befluxed.

The mod is Reasonable Realism, specifically, the harder underground module, and the volatile gas.

The issue in question was a bug during development; a single source block would not actually go poof, but would spread additional gas constantly.

The mechanics of the gas is simple: one unit of thick gas is worth 8 units of thin gas, and there's 8 units per source block. So it starts by trying to put 8 units of thin gas above it, and 7 units of thick gas below it. It then failed to remove the source block, so it would repeat the next tick. It also would quickly spread sideways when it could not spread up/down, and made a very large cloud.

The bug was fixed rather quickly, but in that test world, going near that huge cloud of gas would raise memory usage by a gigabyte.

Thick gas is heavy, flows downward, is barely flammable, and generally won't explode unless set off by another explosion. Thin gas, on the otherhand, flows upwards, is highly flammable, has a large explosion chance when near fire. In a concentrated/closed environment, a fire will generate lots of explosions that in turn will chain-react.

Beyond that, the gasses attempt to equalize their height / flow through itself. So the normal liquid "slope" of being 7 to 1 doesn't happen -- they will level out over dozens of blocks.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
On principle it is a good idea. But it is obvious that the vast majority blatantly ignores stickied posts:

Never read that either. :p

That's what you do. :) Most folks that have an issue go right to posting on the forum without actually searching first. In general, people are lazy. :)

It takes more effort to post than to run a search engine.
Then you have to wait - to wait - for an answer instead of having the same information instantly delivered to you on screen.​

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
When mod devs overhaul mods with annoying "features" like the new magical crops. Damn things killed my golem.

Only reason I ever started using this mod was to have more reasons to build farms and use golems.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah theres a few members who constantly spam new threads to ask questions and i find it annoying. Half the fun is figuring things out on your own.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Not so much Minecraft, but Eclipse (minecraft modding):

Eclipse does NOT auto-save. I'm so used to editors auto-saving. I am spoiled by vim, and I'm sure others are spoiled by emacs (and I'm assuming that it also auto-saves).

IDE, or "won't lose what you did". Hmm. Doesn't seem like a hard choice.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not so much Minecraft, but Eclipse (minecraft modding):

Eclipse does NOT auto-save. I'm so used to editors auto-saving. I am spoiled by vim, and I'm sure others are spoiled by emacs (and I'm assuming that it also auto-saves).

IDE, or "won't lose what you did". Hmm. Doesn't seem like a hard choice.

Hum, I'm used to pressing Ctrl+S or :w quite often so that's never a problem for me ^^
Maybe there's some config option for that?

Reactions: Type1Ninja

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Normally item names in Minecraft are capitalized. It kinda looks out of place otherwise. Looking at you, @InfinityRaider with your "crops" (to be fair, that has already been changed a while ago) :p