Mod Feedback Thermal Series Design/Feedback

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Dynamos max out at 640 RF/t iirc (80 with no power boost augments, 160 with 1, 320 with 2 and 640 with all 3). That said, one 640 RF/t dynamo is likely to cover most if not all of your thermal expansion machines. The point made in the few post just above your own, is that TE itself doesn't have a machine that eats loads of power. Without a native machine that needs a huge amount of power, I agree that a (for the sake of argument) dynamo that makes huge amounts of power is kinda out of scope for Thermal Expansion itself.

I do like the idea of having a Warp Itemduct Equivalant for Fluids though.

Only the basic Ducts don't need machines at all to craft, if you don't count smelting. The Temperate Fluidicut (both Opaque and Clear), The Leadstone Fluxduct, and opaque Itemducts, if i rember the recipe of the latter correctly. Every other duct needs something that requires at least the induction smelter (or equivelent).

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamos max out at 640 RF/t iirc (80 with no power boost augments, 160 with 1, 320 with 2 and 640 with all 3). That said, one 640 RF/t dynamo is likely to cover most if not all of your thermal expansion machines. The point made in the few post just above your own, is that TE itself doesn't have a machine that eats loads of power. Without a native machine that needs a huge amount of power, I agree that a (for the sake of argument) dynamo that makes huge amounts of power is kinda out of scope for Thermal Expansion itself.

my mistake you are correct it's 640 RF/t not 320 RF/t.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
A bit of a necro, but have you considered making strongboxes that are locked invulnerable to people other than the player who made them?

EDIT: I have it configured to self, it is a lan so we don't have admins and I did it in the first place because my mate kept on stealing all my ingots.

EDIT2: It might be a cross mod interaction, as I told him he couldn't access my chest anymore: He immediately did an ars magica 2 spell when I wasn't looking that destroyed it completely.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A bit of a necro, but have you considered making strongboxes that are locked invulnerable to people other than the player who made them?

EDIT: I have it configured to self, it is a lan so we don't have admins and I did it in the first place because my mate kept on stealing all my ingots.

EDIT2: It might be a cross mod interaction, as I told him he couldn't access my chest anymore: He immediately did an ars magica 2 spell when I wasn't looking that destroyed it completely.
No offense dude, but it sounds like you need to find better people to play with. Destroying something in a fit of pique just because you wouldn't let him mooch anymore? Yea, you wouldn't catch me playing on a server like that, regardless of any other consideration.

Reactions: RedBoss

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
No offense dude, but it sounds like you need to find better people to play with. Destroying something in a fit of pique just because you wouldn't let him mooch anymore? Yea, you wouldn't catch me playing on a server like that, regardless of any other consideration.
Eh, he gets a little childish sometimes but he isn't too bad. I think it was more that he took it as a challenge that he couldn't destroy it.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I do like the idea of having a Warp Itemduct Equivalant for Fluids though.
Don't fluiducts already teleport liquids across a long distance? They just take a few seconds to completely drain before they can carry a different fluid.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

The issue here is Ars Magicka 2 being poorly coded. Locked Strongboxes ARE invulnerable in all cases where the correct procedures are being followed. I can't do anything about mods that do things improperly, however.
Don't fluiducts already teleport liquids across a long distance? They just take a few seconds to completely drain before they can carry a different fluid.
Sort of, yeah. I imagine the purpose of a Warp Fluiduct would be to carry multiple fluids at once, in unlimited amounts. I'll definitely consider it.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
My nr 1 beef with the thermal series (exluding RA) is the very basic implementation of features already present in alot of other mods. IE: tools/armor/satchels/caches. These features offer no gameplay benefit or unique take on them (altough the side tabs are nice, especially locking). Just feels underdeveloped and like a missed opportunity.

Just a few examples: try Dartcrafts bags (and clipboard while your there). Try out every use of them. Especially using them when building as a restocking tool, but also for mining. No need for silly configs to decide what it handles. The ability to colour and name them. That is a well developed feature rich take on bags. Or Jabba for barrels. Or Tinkers Construct for tools (the added support for TiC gets a big +1, even if the explanation for the traits is missing).

Now I realy dont mind mods adding these kind of features, even if they are realy basic and boring. But atleast give us an option to fully disable them, not just the crafting recipies. (Why does it need to take up needless space in NEI or add needless creative tabs?)

My nr 1 feature request would be cosmetic blocks with the looks of the different TE machines (IE furnace without the front panel and without it being a furnace). Idealy with connected textures. To kind of allow the construction of "TE multiblocks" by placing machines and cables inside these connected texture machine block frames.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
My nr 1 beef with the thermal series (exluding RA) is the very basic implementation of features already present in alot of other mods. IE: tools/armor/satchels/caches. These features offer no gameplay benefit or unique take on them (altough the side tabs are nice, especially locking). Just feels underdeveloped and like a missed opportunity.

Just a few examples: try Dartcrafts bags (and clipboard while your there). Try out every use of them. Especially using them when building as a restocking tool, but also for mining. No need for silly configs to decide what it handles. The ability to colour and name them. That is a well developed feature rich take on bags. Or Jabba for barrels. Or Tinkers Construct for tools (the added support for TiC gets a big +1, even if the explanation for the traits is missing).

Now I realy dont mind mods adding these kind of features, even if they are realy basic and boring. But atleast give us an option to fully disable them, not just the crafting recipies. (Why does it need to take up needless space in NEI or add needless creative tabs?)

My nr 1 feature request would be cosmetic blocks with the looks of the different TE machines (IE furnace without the front panel and without it being a furnace). Idealy with connected textures. To kind of allow the construction of "TE multiblocks" by placing machines and cables inside these connected texture machine block frames.

Nobody ever said that those things are "done," they're just developed enough to be out there. TE machines got a pretty big overhaul with Augments. The same can and likely will happen to other things in the mod.

As far as "fully disabling," I don't believe you have the correct perspective to know what you're asking. Having to account for server/client discrepancies, and how badly FML wrecks the ID map when something is truly "disabled" means that adding such an option is tantamount to giving people the ability to damage/corrupt their worlds for no actual benefit.

That's why it takes up space in NEI. As far as the Creative Tabs go, TF has options for dealing with that. Take a look at the config. ;)

I'll ponder on the frames. That's a reasonable request.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
add an auto-clay machine and a machine that can do like everything
They added a recipe to make clay recently, but its not worth the effort if you want mass quantities of clay. Mekanism has a process to making mass quantities of clay using the rotary condensentrator. If you're open to adding Mek or play a pack with it, I'd suggest using it. O had to go that route since I love building with clay and bricks.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
add an auto-clay machine and a machine that can do like everything

I like that clay can be a pain to make when you want a lot of it.
How about a RF powered block that prevents mobs from spawning sort of like the Extra Utilities Magnum Torch.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019

I find caches quite useful for certain things because they aren't ore dictionary converters like Jabba Barrels. In particular, I tend to keep my Certus Quartz and Charged Certus Quartz ores in them, as otherwise they will change one into the other (turning regular into charged is cheaty, and turning charged into regular means I have to spend more time/energy on charging.)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Not sure if I was dreaming, but I'm sure it was possible to configure the lava and water usage of the igneous extruder, but I can't find any settings.

OT: I've also been pondering the mysteries of a bucket of Resonant Ender. How can you store a liquid in a bucket that teleports items/entities? :D

Maelstraz

Jul 29, 2019
How can you store a liquid in a bucket that teleports items/entities?
How can you craft round bucket in square world?

It's all about shape. :3

Zephyrean Aerotheum, Tectonic (or Seismic, haven't decided) Petrotheum
So finally air(wind) and earth(stone) essence.
First probably for speed, second for hardness. New recipes for augments? :3

Tempestic Transformer, using primal liquids for changing biomes?

Oh, oh, oh!
Eroseum Demolisher, using Aerotheum to fracture blocks and send it back in machine. Turns stone into cobble, cobble into gravel, gravel and dirt into sand and finally sand (and all ores) will be sucked into Demolisher and sended into adjacent inventory. Breaking/erosion process can be coded as ex-nihilo hammer.
Basically a mining well or tunnel bore with upgrades. To get an upgrade, simply add to machine pumping tanks with some fluids:
- Petrotheum will fill hole with some kind of wind-immune foam. Or maybe even with rockwool?
- Cryotheum will add a fortune.
- Pyrotheum will add an autosmelt.
- Mana will add a silktouch.

Speaking of Petrotheum Construction Foam... New recipe to create Rockwool? New recipe for Reinforced Stone to build boss-proof chambers?

Tremoric Compressor, to squeeze down fluids into matter (maybe back into solid/dust form) or supermatter, like primal cores, used as Demolisher upgrades or as ultimate ingredients for late-game recipes.
Or just to convert a lot of liquifacted coal buckets into diamonds. xD

Whew... That inspiration wave was intensive.

Last edited: