Mod Feedback Thermal Series Design/Feedback

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
My pet peeve is the inability to place the Aqueous accumulator in an aesthetically pleasing way. It's logic needs to be if any one face is touching a replenish able block of water, then it will generate water.

The other thing I would ask for is a pipe adapter block. One face of the block would connect to a device. The other 5 faces would accept pipes. The block would act to effectively connect all attached pipes to the attached device.
This would allow for more attractive machine placements and offer a lot of the benefits of an EIO like multi cable system without actually requiring multi cables.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
My pet peeve is the inability to place the Aqueous accumulator in an aesthetically pleasing way. It's logic needs to be if any one face is touching a replenish able block of water, then it will generate water.

The other thing I would ask for is a pipe adapter block. One face of the block would connect to a device. The other 5 faces would accept pipes. The block would act to effectively connect all attached pipes to the attached device.
This would allow for more attractive machine placements and offer a lot of the benefits of an EIO like multi cable system without actually requiring multi cables.

As far as the AA...that's not how water works though, last I checked. You need water on two sides to replenish.

The adapter...yeah, that'd be easy enough I think.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
As far as the AA...that's not how water works though, last I checked. You need water on two sides to replenish.

The adapter...yeah, that'd be easy enough I think.

The point is to make the AA not require water on two sides if the adjacent water itself has water on two sides. This would allow the AA to be used in a tank wall.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Check out the Unity textures that we have been working on
https://github.com/CyanideX/Unity/pull/19
https://github.com/CyanideX/Unity/pull/8
https://github.com/CyanideX/Unity/pull/5
We are ever getting closer to a full release, but you can download the repo as a zip and convert it yourself easily.

Lookin' good! I sort of prefer the obnoxious pink on the Creative stuff myself, but all of those look quite nice too.
The point is to make the AA not require water on two sides if the adjacent water itself has water on two sides. This would allow the AA to be used in a tank wall.
The AA needs a bit of work in general. :) I expect it'll get a few changes befitting its "Machine" status.

The problem with this particular request is determining if an adjacent block is being replenished. That quite obviously balloons to a scan range outside the adjacent 6 spaces, which means it can't be done reactively.

An augment dropping the requirement to a single source block though? I can see that.
I'd like the nullifier to also void fluids.
Ever read the info tab on it? ;) It already does.

Vicerious

Jul 29, 2019
How about letting the nullifier void RF? Could be useful for testing various power setups, failsafes, etc.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
You want feedback. I have feedback.

I've used Thermal Expansion since 1.4.7. I have always, and always will, use it in conjunction with Build-craft, Railcraft, and Forestry. The initial move to move RF sucked for me, but now that everyone is back on the same system, things are getting better. Unlike many others in this community, I don't find joy in becoming an all powerful, flying, indestructable, voxel god. I like my gameplay to be a gradual but rewarding progression. As such, I prefer my technology to require thought, and make room of the numerous amount of in game space minecraft provides. I strongly dislike blocks that simplify already simplified tech tasks. I could care less if they are less server intensive, single block OP machines are boring.

What I like
-the split into multiple mods
-RF's simplicity makes it easy to teach new users.
-Use of tabs to control and explain machines
-I can always rely on your mods to be stable, and monitored for lag.
-Textures are beautiful

What I dislike
-Long update times

-RF's simplicity is rather dull for long term players.

-All mods lack challenge and risk. Yes some people whine when faced with a risk, threat, or consequence. However, if I'm playing survival, I expect it. For exaple, Buildcraft's engines all use to blow when misused. This required players to design saftey systems using redstone, and gate conditions. Yes, some people cry, but a challenge isn't unfair if it can be solved with a little brainpower. In a game focused on exploration and design, I expect some sort of challenge that involves either exploration and/or design.

-Some old features, new mod. Minecraft 1.5 was, in my opinion, when Thermal Expansion blended the most with other mods. Your mods, and other buildcraft inspired mods all felt like one big family of tech, offering transportation, farming, construction, and processing. Everyone kinda did what they did best with the only exception being buildcraft's buggy energy system which everyone rightfully would overlook for TE conduits. Now everyone has taken it on themselves to out do each other. The results are a whole bunch of RF powered mods that all, more or less, do the same thing. An example of this unneeded feature clone/creep in TE was the addition of Caches. Given how many barrel mods we already have, why on earth does anyone need another one. Heck, even other COFH mods like Minefactory Reloaded had deep storage units.

What I miss
-The old engines from the MJ days looked absolutely amazing and far more interesting than the new static dynamos.
-FMP integration. Yeah I get that you have your reasons, but lost unity across mods still sucks.

What I'd like to see in the future
- an expansion of functionality in cofh's friends overlay. Why not expand this into a party/clan system. Given that most other tech mods depend on COFH, it wouldn't be hard for the community to receive it as the standard party/permisions implementation.

-Better integration with non thermal mods. Yes, everyone uses RF these day and that is fantastic but more gameplay mechanic integration would be nice. For example, Thermal Expansion once had build-craft gate support. That was awesome.

-A use for RF outside crating. Right now, most tech mods generate tons or RF but have nothing to do with it.

-I'd ask that you add a mechanic that converted Build-Craft, and Ae2 Facades to TD facades on placement, but I get the vibe your team still doesn't like build-craft. (Pssst... the cold war is over. RF won :p)

Love your mods. Thanks for the hard work.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
First I have to say that the Thermal family of mods is at the core of my minecraft experience, I couldnt imagine playing without them. Especially Thermal Expansion. That said, I can think of a few things Id like to see changed/added.

Animated dynamos is something I think I mentioned to King Lemming before. I know animated models might be a bit too much to ask but maybe animated textures are doable. Have the animation speed up and slow down along with the dynamo.

Metal plates to go along with the Thermal Foundation gears. Made by putting the relevant metal block into the sawmill at a return rate of 4. Even if you dont integrate them into any recipes, it gives people the resources to make their own recipes.

Can shiny and ferrous just be called platinum and nickel?

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
One more thing that would be really appreciated is native Thermal Expansion support for Minetweaker, I know Modtweaker does it, but for some reason half the machines either don't work or the code breaks every two updates of Thermal Expansion.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it would be brilliant if you could provide support for item renaming via methods other than edited lang files/resource packs.

I currently use Custom Items, Minetweaker, and Metallurgy to sate my irritation with the naming, as well as Minetweakers NEI.hide() function. Takes a while but... at least it works.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Or balancing RoC gear junctions so they don't explode on you. (Although making a Jet Turbine explode was fun.)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
One more thing that would be really appreciated is native Thermal Expansion support for Minetweaker, I know Modtweaker does it, but for some reason half the machines either don't work or the code breaks every two updates of Thermal Expansion.

I'm sorry! The Induction Furnace's code runs on voodoo and the wails of lost souls. I couldn't figure out how to modify it reliably and ended up ditching the rest of the TE module. :(

Reactions: Otho and ljfa

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry! The Induction Furnace's code runs on voodoo and the wails of lost souls. I couldn't figure out how to modify it reliably and ended up ditching the rest of the TE module. :(
No need for apologies, I wouldn't even know how to begin at such a thing let alone getting it to work, so cheers for getting it working (somewhat) in the first place. This is also why I'm asking for native support, as it would require less hacky stuff and run a lot smoother.
Generally I'm in favor for native Minetweaker integration in any mod really.