Thermal Expansion 3 is boring (actually just RF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019
well considered, well-explained, and thoughtful replies are not 'spam'. Just because you consider more than a one-word comment to be 'spam' does not mean the rest of us are not eating up the discourse.

No, but making accusations on other mods is how rumors and issues start. It's how people start hating on mods to begin with.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
If you are talking about the IC2 generator thing? That is not a rumor. Most 'early' and 'legacy' mods have not been optimized for efficiency... lag generates from many sources, from machine updates to tick-lag.
mentioning IC2's age-based inefficiency is no more an indictment of the mod than mentioning the high fuel requirements for 1960's era automobiles... no one's gonna start hating on a classic mustang just because it drinks like a democrat.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Do you have proof/source for this? Your going to get this thread closed with all your spam.
You must be new around here if you think going off-topic is going to get a thread closed. I'm sorry if the truth isn't the answer you are wanting to hear, but none of your points have any factual basis. That does not, however, constitute spam, however inconvenient to your world-view it might be.

You know, there used to be this thing called 'the scientific method', which I'd really like to introduce here to prove my point.

First you come up with an idea, then you test the idea until you have a hypothesis, then you test your hypothesis until you have a theory. Then you release the theory to the public, along with the experiments which support your data, and dare the rest of the community to break it. This is known as 'peer review'. Finally, after the theory has been vetted by peer review, and it appears that it is true, it is then considered to be a law.

So, let's set up a little experiment here.

First, we will need to set the conditions. For example, you will need the exact same world for both tests, otherwise you can have environmental influence. I'd suggest a flat world with structures turned off and peaceful mode.

Set up fifty Heat Dynamos with Aqueous Accumulators and Conduit to feed an empty Energy Cell. Measure lag.

Set up one Generator with some copper cable to a Battery Box. Measure lag.

Which one comes out ahead? See for yourself.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, digressions within a certain range are definitely appropriate, particularly given the premise of the thread and how it bills itself.

"Spam" would be multiple low-effort posts in rapid succession, walls of truly gibberish garbage, or link-spamming. Not "he isn't talking about exactly what I want to talk about". If you want that level of content control, I recommend getting a blog and moderating it yourself, because if I started moderating threads based on things like "anything not precisely on what I and I alone consider on-topic is spam", everybody would accrue enough Warnings to merit bans before hitting Active Member, let alone Well-Known Member.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Redstone Flux is in it's infancy as a power source. True, at the moment, 5 dynamos and some hardened conduit will run every single one of your machines at maximum power, though only one at a time. But even that is wholly unnecessary. TE also introduces energy cells, which can store RF power, and more importantly be picked up and maintain that power. So if my base is full of power, and a friend needs some power to start his base back up, I can pick up my power cell and go to his base and plug in my cell. No need to haul stacks of coal coke to fire up his boilers, no need to worry, is my battery the right tier to plug into his power system or do I need to bring the correct connection piece and appropriate transformers so I don't turn it into a crater. I just plug and play.

More than that, it has an exact equivalency to MJ. RF is precisely a 10:1 ratio, so I know exactly how many MJ I'm making, or how many RF I need to produce to run something. Redstone Flux compatibility is nice to have, but it's not essential, which is great, because it goes out of it's way to make itself MJ compatible, even though there's NO reason for it to bother, other than legacy reasons. They could have just made it it's own power system, completely separate from MJ, and no one would have complained. (Okay, that's a lie. Someone always complains.) Instead, they decided to leave the compatibility, so that it could unify the mods. It won't work completely, because nothing should, but having RF as a common standard of transformation between systems could be useful. As in RF is 10:1 MJ, and X:X EU could be useful as mod makers try to balance systems.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Wait... you threw Ferrous Ore into your AE Grind Stone? Well then the cost for you is losing out on the Shiny Ingots, which can *ONLY* be obtained by Pulverizing Ferrous Ore and even then you only get 10% chance of it, OR by putting it in an Induction Smelter with Cinnabar and guarantee yourself a Shiny Ingot, but that can only be obtained by getting a Silk Touch pick and pulverizing Redstone Ore.

Personally, I feel that if anyone processes Ferrous Ore other than via Cinnabar, they are just shooting themselves in the foot later on down the tech tree. I know I would never do it.

You get quite a bit of shiny ingots from netherores. As far as ferrous, I usually end up with masses of it from pulverizing iron. It is pretty common in the ore-gen in this map. I had loads of it without pulverizing iron yet. Was a small price to pay for early-game lava power.

Regardless, this thread is nonsense. It seems like some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining. No one is forcing anyone to utilize any aspect of any mod.

Edit Modpack > Disable mod

I think someone is just trying to "counter-hate" on TE because of the other 2 threads ("Why do people hate ic2?" and "Why do people love TE?")

TE is awesome. It's versatile. It's easy to understand. The power system makes sense. The materials make sense and don't involve menial tedious labor to achieve basic success. Need more power? Add more engines.. or use those rotarycraft rotational dynamos and produce tens of thousands of RF per tick. MJ became more complicated and EU isn't even in running anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankieTheSnake

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
How do you cope with the boiler start up inefficiencies. I have heard of new mechanics in Railcraft that make this process a bit better but I don't know much about them. I really like the FZ solar farms but on medium sized one I struggled to get much surplus RF while still keeping my Leyden Jar full (I did have a lot of FZ machines though so I am not complaining).
Actually I don't. The boiler is supposed to stay off anyway. I'm running the actual DW20 pack and it contains an older version of open peripheral which can't read tank valves. So the boiler turns on when the tank is empty and off when its full (BC gates and a little RedNet RS latch). The output of the latch activates a fluidduct on a BC tank which is filled by a LP fluid supplier so the tank only gets fuel when needed. Eventually I will split it into three 12LP boilers to have a shorter heatup phase until the first steam is produced, but I don't know if that would waste even more fuel cause I cannot turn it off before the steam tank is full and three boilers have three internal tanks.

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
I myself find TE to be a bit boring. Mostly because the power itself isn't that challenging to use. It is easily converted to other forms of power, easily manufactured, easily transferred, easily stored, and easy to interface with. Now, these are not necessarily bad things, since the convenience of the mod is what a lot of people want. Not everyone is looking to be challenged by basic infrastructure.

Personally, I prefer my power systems to be more difficult to use. Of course, there is already something like that for me, too. It is called Rotarycraft.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna pull the Gtech card on you here when it comes to High Tech. Others have mentioned mod ecosystems, hopefully someone out there will Gtech up TE3. Cinnabar for 3x output is not high tech in the slightest. There isn't enough content in TE3 base to go "high tech", especially when all the machines require mostly vanilla materials.

That's off topic though, this is about RF as an energy source, not TE3 as a tech mod.

Ok, what are your thoughts in pyrotheum and cryotheum? Mid tier fluids/dusts? Sure, ill go with that. Now automate the entire process of making them. Still going to call that mid tier? No. Thats high tier and will cost you a significant amount of time to setup, especially if you dont have a mod that allows for the creation of spawners. TE's endgame is more hidden then other mods, its also not forced upon you nor is it a requirement or an overpowering aspect. It is, however, realy cool and fun to play around with it. Because it requires creativity and thought. Unlike certain other mods wich just require you to read its wiki realy carefully.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Read up before posting. KL has stated many times now that TE machines and dynamos run approximately 50x smoother than IC2 ones, and considering some of the crazy tests I've done with them I believe him.

Ehh, I've never said 50. I don't know that 50 is actually wrong, but the most egregious example I really know of is about 12x offhand. Jaded did the parses with Opis.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Ehh, I've never said 50. I don't know that 50 is actually wrong, but the most egregious example I really know of is about 12x offhand. Jaded did the parses with Opis.
Ah yes, that was Jaded. I can believe it, though, based on some tests I've done myself.

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019

KL, I did a test on a flat world with 1 generator 6(usec) and 1 batbox 3(usec)

I did 50 steam dnamo which all registered in Opis as 0.0000(usec). Do dynamo not register any tick time? Or is Opis just not working with TE properly? If 50 dynamo really do register 0.0000, that's pretty nice.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
KL, I did a test on a flat world with 1 generator 6(usec) and 1 batbox 3(usec)

I did 50 steam dnamo which all registered in Opis as 0.0000(usec). Do dynamo not register any tick time? Or is Opis just not working with TE properly? If 50 dynamo really do register 0.0000, that's pretty nice.

Opis definitely works with TE, although at least one of those dynamos should have registered > 1us due to code caching. It's a common thing, however - run multiple gens and batboxes as well; you'll see that one of them takes longer to tick than the others. This is due to the system having to load the tile entity code into the cache.

Reactions: Padfoote

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019
Opis definitely works with TE, although at least one of those dynamos should have registered > 1us due to code caching. It's a common thing, however - run multiple gens and batboxes as well; you'll see that one of them takes longer to tick than the others. This is due to the system having to load the tile entity code into the cache.

Yes, 1 appears to be ticking about 1.4ish, all others are 0.0000

Interestingly, all the aqueous accumulators tick a atleast 0.8(usec), none have a 0.000 tick time like the dynamo.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, what are your thoughts in pyrotheum and cryotheum? Mid tier fluids/dusts? Sure, ill go with that. Now automate the entire process of making them. Still going to call that mid tier? TE's endgame is more hidden then other mods, its also not forced upon you nor is it a requirement or an overpowering aspect. It is, however, realy cool and fun to play around with it. Because it requires creativity and thought. Unlike certain other mods wich just require you to read its wiki realy carefully.

Here you go. Creates cryotheum from redstone and energy.
The left side makes snowballs and blizz powder; the right side makes niter.
Behind the output barrel is a cyclic assembler. Other crafting tables are better, but for proof of concept this is pure TE, except the barrels.
6w93k.jpg

Pyrotheum requires more inputs - redstone, coal, blaze rods and energy - but the processing is simpler:
6w9qk.jpg

No output barrel is shown here.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Here you go. Creates cryotheum from redstone and energy.
The left side makes snowballs and blizz powder; the right side makes niter.
Behind the output barrel is a cyclic assembler. Other crafting tables are better, but for proof of concept this is pure TE, except the barrels.
6w93k.jpg

Pyrotheum requires more inputs - redstone, coal, blaze rods and energy - but the processing is simpler:
6w9qk.jpg

No output barrel is shown here.

Look, TE endgame multiblocks! <3 (Missing the witch farm, but ok ;))

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Look, TE endgame multiblocks! <3 (Missing the witch farm, but ok ;))
They kinda are. I know once I have quarries going, I have a furnace for each output of a pulverizer. So that'ss 3 blocks. I also have a sawmill and several cyclic assemblers connected together to craft frames for alvairies from logs and cotton. Being able to control the input/outputs makes for some really interesting builds if you really try.

Status
Not open for further replies.