Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
What are those ingots?! What is that sexy workbench thing?! EXPLAIN! :O

Please don't. A dissenting voice is a good thing. The political climate in the US right now is basically a result of forcing out other trains of thought. And while TE isn't a nuclear-armed superpower (yet), I'd like to be sure that concerns and comments can be aired.

King Lemming 2016! :D

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Completely agree !!

Design by committee rarely turns out good. However, listening to player/user/consumer feedback and wisely incorporating said feedback into the system is rarely a bad idea.

The key word is wisely. This means knowing what feedback to ignore, and I'm not necessarily referring to anyone or any feedback specifically. My wise and someone else's wise are probably not the same.

Netherus

Jul 29, 2019
Did I hear someone say distractions with new stuff? I believe they did... so here you go guys.

mHo9CtU.png

New stuff!

Need more distractions! Someone quick start a flame war (just joking ofc)
No but in all seriousness HELL YESSSSS i missed those things!

(And another barley field yet when i stroll around 20+ worlds i never find any :( )

Verstuurd van mijn ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4010X met Tapatalk

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
(And another barley field yet when i stroll around 20+ worlds i never find any :( )
I find them constantly. I don't like them. What I want to run across more of is Badlands. Oooh so much clay. Vanilla can keep that Mesa, I'd just destroy it for the clay.

KL, is there any chance of making clay? A few mods have it as a by product, but its always in small amounts. Since hardened clay was added to the game, I consume mass quantities of it. I'd gladly pay whatever price for a way to mass produce clay without destroying the environment.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Is that... a... PROJECT TABLE REPLACEMENT? A REAL REPLACEMENT?
/melts

Functionality? Yes. Cost? No - the Project Table is way cheaper than this thing. Each of these is 4 tin and 2 copper. However, they have 3 schematic slots that you can read/write with, and they can be Dismantled and keep their inventories. Also, they can be set to public/restricted/private, just like a Strongbox.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I find them constantly. I don't like them. What I want to run across more of is Badlands. Oooh so much clay. Vanilla can keep that Mesa, I'd just destroy it for the clay.

KL, is there any chance of making clay? A few mods have it as a by product, but its always in small amounts. Since hardened clay was added to the game, I consume mass quantities of it. I'd gladly pay whatever price for a way to mass produce clay without destroying the environment.

If ooooooooonly you liked bees, RedBoss !

I use Earthen Bees for my clay needs. 1 Queen w/Fastest in an un-framed Alveary produces around 1,000 clay per day. In a fully framed Alveary, this would be around 3,000, I believe.

Reactions: RedBoss

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

Hrm. Yeah, sure. I have an idea.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Functionality? Yes. Cost? No - the Project Table is way cheaper than this thing. Each of these is 4 tin and 2 copper. However, they have 3 schematic slots that you can read/write with, and they can be Dismantled and keep their inventories. Also, they can be set to public/restricted/private, just like a Strongbox.

Small price to pay.

You really did prove me wrong. I thought there was nothing you could do to get me to like your mod.

@All the feedback of users

Polling/feedback/etc. is useless unless it can be done in a private non-group manner. When people join groups they tend to sacrifice a little more of what they like for the group.

If people cannot be influenced by others opinions then the research is good. If they can it become more and more wrong the more influenced they are.

After that point comes in the hand of a designer who is able to discern the tastes that would lead toward progress of whatever project the feedback is for.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Will we still have the Cyclic Assembler along side the Machinist's Workbench? I mainly ask because the CA had a liquid tank for those weird annoying bucket/cell/capsule recipes needed in mass quantities (peat anyone).

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Will we still have the Cyclic Assembler along side the Machinist's Workbench? I mainly ask because the CA had a liquid tank for those weird annoying bucket/cell/capsule recipes needed in mass quantities (peat anyone).

Yes, that hasn't gone anywhere. You now just have another way of making Schematics to use in that as well.

Reactions: Flipz

Larandar

Jul 29, 2019
Yes so much recipe with liquid doesn't support carpenter... Like factorization watching or ic2 overcloaker. It's a pain without TE CA :) Hope soon in 1.6

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I saw that workbench in a few of the other screen shots... Good to know what it is now ^^

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Let's not go down the GregTech rabbit hole here folks, mmkay? Plenty to talk about that's Thermal Expansion without that digression. A skill set more people could do with learning is the ability to agree to disagree; Lemming's handling of criticism with grace is a great example of one way of doing that.

zorn, the problem is never with having an opinion. The problem is with you mistaking your own opinion for the singular Truth. Conducting yourself with all the "charm" of Steve Jobs (the icon of "I don't care what the user thinks they want, I know and provide what they really want" thought) only works when you have the track record and audience of Steve Jobs. Bombastically pronouncing "users don't know what they want in gameplay" quickly devolves into "you're too stupid to know what you want" no matter how polite your initial parsing may be. Everybody ends up getting defensive and soon it gets into flame territory. The point of dispute everybody's always going to have with you is that you in fact can only speak to what you want from gameplay. Stop telling me what I want from gameplay. You have no basis for being able to get away with dictating that and having it remain unchallenged, and the sooner you dismount from that apparent high horse, the sooner we can communicate on the basis of how everybody has different wants from their gameplay and how, with a combination of mod choices, configuration options, and maybe even occasionally some self-restraint, we can all best achieve the game experience we each want.

Learn to accept that your viewpoint is just that, your viewpoint, and a lot of what you consider is everybody else's hostility will suddenly disappear and you'll have a much sunnier forum experience.

This is almost a textbook "how to perpetuate an internet slapfight" sentence. Cut it out. Now.

Ok so just one question. Before you posted this, a guy said:

Tedium is bad. It's a terrible excuse for 'difficulty' championed by people who don't understand game design. Once you reach the skill level require to reliably repeat something, there's no real different between doing it ten times and doing it a hundred times.

Most of the arguments I get into are with people who say this^^. Notice he says that a certain playstyle is 'bad'? Can you explain why I get a talk, but he gets nothing? Ive had this said to me 100 times. i was told anyone who enjoyed tedium/gregtech was 'immature'. Why is his statement ignored, but if I say that making mods too easy could ruin the fun, Im attacked repeatedly, and spoken to by a moderator?

Could you explain why my statements are wrong, but this statement I quoted gets no reprimands?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

Because it's true, He's not talking about easy and hard, he's talking about the trend of mod authors to use repetitive actions and slap the label of hard on it.

All in all what that statement says is it's bad design for a mod author to label something repetitive as something hard. It doesn't say anything about play styles, or even that enjoying this concept is bad. It's just that calling it hard is wrong because as he says, if you can do it 10 times, you have the skill to do it 100.

EDIT: I should also clarify, that designing something with repetitive actions in it also isn't bad, it's just the fact of using repeats to equal difficulty.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonOfABirch

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ok so just one question. Before you posted this, a guy said:

Most of the arguments I get into are with people who say this^^. Notice he says that a certain playstyle is 'bad'? Can you explain why I get a talk, but he gets nothing? Ive had this said to me 100 times. i was told anyone who enjoyed tedium/gregtech was 'immature'. Why is his statement ignored, but if I say that making mods too easy could ruin the fun, Im attacked repeatedly, and spoken to by a moderator?

Could you explain why my statements are wrong, but this statement I quoted gets no reprimands?

Because you don't make generalized statements you make them into attacks, generally.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Because it's true, He's not talking about easy and hard, he's talking about the trend of mod authors to use repetitive actions and slap the label of hard on it.

All in all what that statement says is it's bad design for a mod author to label something repetitive as something hard. It doesn't say anything about play styles, or even that enjoying this concept is bad. It's just that calling it hard is wrong because as he says, if you can do it 10 times, you have the skill to do it 100.

EDIT: I should also clarify, that designing something with repetitive actions in it also isn't bad, it's just the fact of using repeats to equal difficulty.

Hmm, good explanation. I guess i lumped him in with people who DO say that enjoying that playstyle is wrong, bad, immature, etc.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, good explanation. I guess i lumped him in with people who DO say that enjoying that playstyle is wrong, bad, immature, etc.
well, very often that statement is used to back up a "enjoying tedium is also bad" view point... which isn't what that statement does.

I can understand assuming that it was used that way though

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
well, very often that statement is used to back up a "enjoying tedium is also bad" view point... which isn't what that statement does.

I can understand assuming that it was used that way though

My biggest argument is just what your edit says: designing some tedium to the game can be fun, its fun to do some work to get to a goal, it makes that goal that much sweeter. Plus the definition of tedium is different for everyone. I'd wager most people who were interested in a gregtech fusion reactor found it fun the first go around, but 10 worlds later found it tedious. I mean, MFR is considered one of the more 'fun' mods without much tedium, but how many times can you set up a planter and harvester before it also becomes tedious?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Adonis0 basically made the specific point already, but I'll note this: What I wrote was advice, not a reprimand, and I did it because this seems to be a continuing trend with your posts. While in itself this isn't strictly against the rules, this regularly deteriorates into stuff that's riding the razor line if not hopping over (as your own posts did temporarily several pages back). It's in my interest as a forum moderator to help educate people on etiquette and not just the strict letter of the rules because a self-policing community means I take less time out of my day having to break up fights. If you believe you are being personally attacked in a breach of the forum rules, use the Report button; if you're just feeling generally attacked because of a stance you hold, feel free to defend that stance. But be aware that when you use aggressive language, you encourage a certain type of response that ultimately drags in us moderator folks to deal with it.

Back to the topic at hand: I love that new table and its ability to be dismantled. Do want, along with everything else I've been seeing. =)