The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

Spodean

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a problem I'm seeing with 4.1 and add-ons: Research points. That right there kills the game completely at a certain point. I have Thaumcraft 4.1, Tinkerer, Traheremagy, Advanced Thaumaturgy, Apocrypha, Apimancy, and Technomancy all part of my mods. There are no where near enough research points for this, and now I am at a point in my game where I have to spend HOURS at my 6 deconstruction tables just clicking on them. No golems (to my knowledge) can do this for you (stupid of Azanor not to add this). This has killed all FUN for the mod and it's add-ons. Not only did 4.1 screw up a lot for the mod (again, imo), but this is detrimental and will easily kill people's fun experience after a few short weeks.

Of course, without the add-ons and some knowledge of how the system works, you'll have barely enough (of the necessary) points to complete anything. I say necessary points because anyone with deep experience in this knows there are certain aspects you use consistently (Aer/Motus/Ordo/Insturmentum) and then ones you can do nothing with (like my 119 Arbor and 99 Lucrum/98 Saxum/107 Vitreus). Until this part of the game changes, I can no longer with a good conscious support Thaumcraft. I might be missing something, i don't know, but there needs to be a way to break down these hundreds of extra aspects into their basic aspects via the research table. Any suggestions other than sitting at deconstruction tables (or cheating) to fix this? I will never modify any files or play in creative mode (I'm not 9).

(On a side note, if not everyone is kissing Succubism's butt and shining it daily for all her help, then get started, because she is totally awesome for all her help)

I have found it to not be as bad as you are saying, If you actually craft the items you research and scan them you get quite a lot of research points back. In a lot of cases the item gives back WAY more than you spent researching.

If you are just sitting there trying to get all the research done in one go and not actually craft any of the things of course you are going to run short.

Once you have golems going and a decent sized mana bean farm you will have a whole ton of Primary essense beans that you can eat for research points because you wont use them for vis. You get plenty of primary vis from centrifuging down your excess compound vis.

There is a method to it, I have restarted on so many different modpacks that I have got it down to a science. Primary focus is getting that mana bean farm going. A productive mana bean farm means you have unlimited vis and an easy way of getting the harder to harvest and more expensive varieties. As a plus all the Primary beans you can eat.

An automated Mana bean farm is the equivalent of power generation or quarries in tech mods. Should always be at the top of the list of "things you need to do".

Also why are you blaming Thaumcraft and Azanor for your woes? He has more than enough research points for his mod. It's the other mods causing you grief.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Also why are you blaming Thaumcraft and Azanor for your woes? He has more than enough research points for his mod. It's the other mods causing you grief.
Because Azanor knew all too well how many TC addons there were (at the time 4.1 came out there were around 5, now there's around 7) and he also knew that most people used them.

It's not as big of a deal as people say, though.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have found it to not be as bad as you are saying, If you actually craft the items you research and scan them you get quite a lot of research points back. In a lot of cases the item gives back WAY more than you spent researching.

If you are just sitting there trying to get all the research done in one go and not actually craft any of the things of course you are going to run short.

Once you have golems going and a decent sized mana bean farm you will have a whole ton of Primary essense beans that you can eat for research points because you wont use them for vis. You get plenty of primary vis from centrifuging down your excess compound vis.

There is a method to it, I have restarted on so many different modpacks that I have got it down to a science. Primary focus is getting that mana bean farm going. A productive mana bean farm means you have unlimited vis and an easy way of getting the harder to harvest and more expensive varieties. As a plus all the Primary beans you can eat.

An automated Mana bean farm is the equivalent of power generation or quarries in tech mods. Should always be at the top of the list of "things you need to do".

I think you mixed up essentia and vis
Vis is wand/node charge
Essentia is the liquid stuff you use for infusion

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I always get buttloads more research points than I need, I don't know what you all are on about.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Wait until you start using the runic jewelry. I found an amulet that helps recharge your wand & the new runic armor system doesn't replace armor slots. It's pretty neat
Isn't that amulate for recharging your wand creative only? I haven't checked build 14 yet... But every other time I checked, I couldn't find the vis amulate to be in the book.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't that amulate for recharging your wand creative only? I haven't checked build 14 yet... But every other time I checked, I couldn't find the vis amulate to be in the book.
I found it as dungeon loot. I wasn't able to find it in the Thaumonnononomicon either.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Essentia is vis, it's mentioned as so in the thaumonomicon. I've decided, and recommend, to willingly suspend disbelief rather than attempt to sort out what's what.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
You mean "Wand Focus: Experience Drain" that turns XP into vis?
As Slowking mentoined that's a foci from TT, What I'm referring to is a bauble in 1.7.2 thaumcraft. It charges any wand/ staff up to ten when worn. It's a reeeeeeally nice reward from chests... and with Too much loot+ Vazkii's chest looting flower... Mwuahahahahahaha!

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Are we talking about 1.7.2 that is not public yet? Im talking about 1.6.4 that everybody has.
1.7.2 thaumcraft's been out for ages... You're allowed to play with mods outside ftb's launchers you know.. It's even simpler since players no longer need to fiddle about with item id's.

Reactions: RedBoss

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Are we talking about 1.7.2 that is not public yet? Im talking about 1.6.4 that everybody has.

Whats not public about Minecraft 1.7.2, Forge for 1.7.2 and Thaumcraft for the same?
Just because the only FTB pack for 1.7.2 is unofficial and called "unstable" to boot, doesn't mean "everybody" is playing 1.6.4. Theres some nice stuff in 1.7.2 and Ive switched myself.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Whats not public about Minecraft 1.7.2, Forge for 1.7.2 and Thaumcraft for the same?
Just because the only FTB pack for 1.7.2 is unofficial and called "unstable" to boot, doesn't mean "everybody" is playing 1.6.4. Theres some nice stuff in 1.7.2 and Ive switched myself.

Oki I got it. I was just not sure how stable 1.7.2 was.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Oki I got it. I was just not sure how stable 1.7.2 was.

Given the lack of a comminity tested "official" pack, stability is a difficult metric to judge. I have a random selection of mods that may have 'issues' that only I will discover.
That said - the lack of item id issues mean I have bspkr's mods (status hud, armor hud etc), thaumcraft, blood magic, twilight forest, ender io, applied energistics 2, craftguide, weeping angles, mr crayfishes furniture mod, zans minimap, iron chests, Ruins, Doomlike Dungeons, infernal mobs, archimedes ships and bibliocraft all tossed into the mix with no id remapping having to be done at all.

(that mod list is small as I have taken the 1.7.2 opportunity to exclude a number of mods that were, I felt, discouraging players from exploring the world.)

A custom made 1.7.2 modpack is only as stable as the least stable mod chosen, and you don't have a community of other players on the same mod to ask "Hey, im using 3.1.5 of pack ZZZ - whats up with Foo happening all the time!?"

Last edited: