The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Someone will have to actually mess around with it. I will just wait personally. I'm over dealing with early versions. I was using TC4 from the day it went public and have gone through ALL of the changes. I'll let someone else deal with alpha/beta testing.

TL;DR Just wait a few weeks, someone will test it. :p
It's been a fairly steady release so far big issues the first time were harvest and use golems. However this update yielded a higher possibility fir use golems.. Ever wanted to plant multiple types of trees? NOW YOU CAN! Multiple use slots from the start, up to six, AND it can even do left click and right click! I believe it can also do sneaking too..

It's been a fairly lovely update so far, seeing how any thaumcraft armor can now be given runic property's. I do hope the vis amulet get's a recipe soon...

Reactions: RedBoss

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I probably missed it in 31 pages (wow, if that's not the most common excuse for laziness in forums... ... )

Umm. anyway...I'm noticing a much lighter node distribution in thaumcraft in Horizons 2.1.1. Is that expected from the mod, or did some config setting get tweaked? It's slowed down my research quite a bit, since getting those aspects almost relies on nodes after a while. Even in TF I couldn't find very many.

It also felt like my thaumometer didn't see them from quite as far away, but that could have just been due to the lower frequency of node-age.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I probably missed it in 31 pages (wow, if that's not the most common excuse for laziness in forums... ... )

Umm. anyway...I'm noticing a much lighter node distribution in thaumcraft in Horizons 2.1.1. Is that expected from the mod, or did some config setting get tweaked? It's slowed down my research quite a bit, since getting those aspects almost relies on nodes after a while. Even in TF I couldn't find very many.

It also felt like my thaumometer didn't see them from quite as far away, but that could have just been due to the lower frequency of node-age.
Could download a current, and then older version of tc and look at the node configs.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Until we snap =P
I snap, you snap, we all snap for internet ....

Well, hmm. @MigukNamja's first post talked about larger and more frequent nodes. That is definitely not my current experience. Larger maybe...more frequent? Not a chance.

Even the silverwood trees are remarkably boring and I've only see two obsidian totems. (though the tainted zones were .. whew!)

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
So far I too am mostly seeing few but large nodes. I actually approve of this, because I've realized that excessively dense nodes can help taint spread -- tainted sheep especially will spread around taint. Those little bits might fade quickly in a clean chunk, but while they last, they can taint a node over them, and then it's Purple Time. Similarly, if a typical tainted node can push its biome to the next node, taint can spread indefinitely.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I snap, you snap, we all snap for internet ....

Well, hmm. @MigukNamja's first post talked about larger and more frequent nodes. That is definitely not my current experience. Larger maybe...more frequent? Not a chance.

Even the silverwood trees are remarkably boring and I've only see two obsidian totems. (though the tainted zones were .. whew!)
My own observations would suggest that there are less nodes in 4.1, but observational evidence is always worth the paper it's printed on in Minecraft (see: every "there are less diamonds" thread ever).

If anything, I'd suggest that this has to do with the biomes that the nodes are found in; being that biome influences the type of essentia in the node, I've noticed that nodes seem to be more common in, for example, oceans than in swamps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
And many question about the node bullying: Suppose I've got one big Air node, and a couple of smaller ones, say Air/Fire and Water/Order/
  • Will the big one do anything when all three nodes are full, or does this come into play only when it's drained?
  • Will the big Air node steal vis only from the other Air node?
  • Will the big Air node be not just refilled, but enlarged? Or would that require an actual merger? If it absorbs the Air/Fire node, does it get the Fire too?

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Responding to my own post: based on forum comments, a big node can indeed steal not just "current" vis, but capacity and aspects from other nodes, regardless of aspects in common. Afterwards, they will regenerate their new aspects as usual.

Sharkb8oohhaha

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a problem I'm seeing with 4.1 and add-ons: Research points. That right there kills the game completely at a certain point. I have Thaumcraft 4.1, Tinkerer, Traheremagy, Advanced Thaumaturgy, Apocrypha, Apimancy, and Technomancy all part of my mods. There are no where near enough research points for this, and now I am at a point in my game where I have to spend HOURS at my 6 deconstruction tables just clicking on them. No golems (to my knowledge) can do this for you (stupid of Azanor not to add this). This has killed all FUN for the mod and it's add-ons. Not only did 4.1 screw up a lot for the mod (again, imo), but this is detrimental and will easily kill people's fun experience after a few short weeks.

Of course, without the add-ons and some knowledge of how the system works, you'll have barely enough (of the necessary) points to complete anything. I say necessary points because anyone with deep experience in this knows there are certain aspects you use consistently (Aer/Motus/Ordo/Insturmentum) and then ones you can do nothing with (like my 119 Arbor and 99 Lucrum/98 Saxum/107 Vitreus). Until this part of the game changes, I can no longer with a good conscious support Thaumcraft. I might be missing something, i don't know, but there needs to be a way to break down these hundreds of extra aspects into their basic aspects via the research table. Any suggestions other than sitting at deconstruction tables (or cheating) to fix this? I will never modify any files or play in creative mode (I'm not 9).

(On a side note, if not everyone is kissing Succubism's butt and shining it daily for all her help, then get started, because she is totally awesome for all her help)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a problem I'm seeing with 4.1 and add-ons: Research points. That right there kills the game completely at a certain point. I have Thaumcraft 4.1, Tinkerer, Traheremagy, Advanced Thaumaturgy, Apocrypha, Apimancy, and Technomancy all part of my mods. There are no where near enough research points for this, and now I am at a point in my game where I have to spend HOURS at my 6 deconstruction tables just clicking on them. No golems (to my knowledge) can do this for you (stupid of Azanor not to add this). This has killed all FUN for the mod and it's add-ons. Not only did 4.1 screw up a lot for the mod (again, imo), but this is detrimental and will easily kill people's fun experience after a few short weeks.

The trick is to research while you scan items. Also, setting the thaumcraft difficulty to hard can actually be beneficial in this respect. It makes you play the mini game instead of outright purchasing the research, *but*, you get to choose the aspects you use to complete the research. It allows you to use a lot of your more populous aspects, and save the ones you have fewer of. If you have your research set on easy, you will be using the deconstruction table or scanning nodes a lot. Not much way around that.[DOUBLEPOST=1402242956][/DOUBLEPOST]You can also consume (*eat*) knowledge fragments and get several of the base aspects. Also eating mana beans will sometimes give a point as well, but can also produce random potion effects.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
1 qestion why the hell you have 6 deconstruction tables? If you need 6 you doing it wrong it means you are using wrong items in them.

As mentioned about milion times put crafting tables in them and you yeald 1 aspect per table at the rate of someting like 3 sec per operation It means in 1 min you will get 60/3=20 aspects on average 4 of each basic aspects per 1 min. (excluding ignis)so in 30 min you will get 20 *30 = 600 aspects which works out to be on average 120 of each of badic aspects. If you in adition to that add scaning every stupid tjing you see you easily get to 300 of each adpects.

Only thing I agree it would be great if there was item that could break coplex items into its components like centrifuge does for essentia. But with good planing you should be able to use all of the aspects in research.

Sharkb8oohhaha

Jul 29, 2019
Funny, but I never hit any "point limits" I've seen people talk about, so my experience of scanning everything in sight then researching never wasted any points for me. I know mana beans will help, but it puts me in the same situation of farming beans for hours, just like sitting at the deconstruction tables. Knowledge fragments have actually been rare in my world, but I'm fine with that as they are crap anyways. It's just as simple as "When you run out of points, Thaumcraft is no longer a great mod", its mediocre at best, and I'm thoroughly disappointed at what's its become versus what it was and the potential it had. On to Galacticraft i guess, it's one of the 200ish mods installed. See you all in space!!

Sharkb8oohhaha

Jul 29, 2019
1 qestion why the hell you have 6 deconstruction tables? If you need 6 you doing it wrong it means you are using wrong items in them.

As mentioned about milion times put crafting tables in them and you yeald 1 aspect per table at the rate of someting like 3 sec per operation It means in 1 min you will get 60/3=20 aspects on average 4 of each basic aspects per 1 min. (excluding ignis)so in 30 min you will get 20 *30 = 600 aspects which works out to be on average 120 of each of badic aspects. If you in adition to that add scaning every stupid tjing you see you easily get to 300 of each adpects.

Only thing I agree it would be great if there was item that could break coplex items into its components like centrifuge does for essentia. But with good planing you should be able to use all of the aspects in research.

The reason I have 6 is simple, I deconstruct a crap ton of anything extra I have. Yes, I know that Crafting tables, as well as wool, get you many points. But really look into what you are saying, even 600 points, by the time you combine them into Bestia, Humanus, Cognito, Insturmentum, you only get about 10 points of each, so again, hours at a deconstruction table. I've been playing Thauncraft for almost 3 years, and it's just unbearable now-The point system MUST go to make the game consistent and keep it fun and enjoyable. Nothing else in the game requires this much of a mundane waste of time (ok, maybe bees). Galacticraft, Genes, machines, you can pace yourself really well with these others (even Ars).

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying it's perfect but I simply don't share the same expiriece as you. I play with thaumcraft a lot it is one of first mods I start new game with and never had problems like you do. But I admit it would be great if you could somehow use aspects you don't get to use in most reserch.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Of course, without the add-ons and some knowledge of how the system works, you'll have barely enough (of the necessary) points to complete anything. I say necessary points because anyone with deep experience in this knows there are certain aspects you use consistently (Aer/Motus/Ordo/Insturmentum) and then ones you can do nothing with (like my 119 Arbor and 99 Lucrum/98 Saxum/107 Vitreus). Until this part of the game changes, I can no longer with a good conscious support Thaumcraft. I might be missing something, i don't know, but there needs to be a way to break down these hundreds of extra aspects into their basic aspects via the research table. Any suggestions other than sitting at deconstruction tables (or cheating) to fix this? I will never modify any files or play in creative mode (I'm not 9).

(On a side note, if not everyone is kissing Succubism's butt and shining it daily for all her help, then get started, because she is totally awesome for all her help)
It is easy, scan everything you can make. Even with addons this is not an issue thanks to the fact MFR and TE mchines can be scanned. The research has items to make, make the items, scan them and use them. With tabs going to the right side of the thaumonomicon and tons if research done i had points left over.

Also
image.jpg