The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Argh... I found a spider spawner, unlimited string! Why argh? First problem: It's directly next to the first tainted lands I've discovered. It seems to be just outside of the chunk boundary, the question is whether the taint will expand.
Second problem: It's in a frozen beach area... with a layer of ice in lieu of a ceiling!. Little problem with lighting the spawner here... (I do have buckets, and expect to use them.)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Argh... I found a spider spawner, unlimited string! Why argh? First problem: It's directly next to the first tainted lands I've discovered. It seems to be just outside of the chunk boundary, the question is whether the taint will expand.
Second problem: It's in a frozen beach area... with a layer of ice in lieu of a ceiling!. Little problem with lighting the spawner here... (I do have buckets, and expect to use them.)
Make the wand focus that can move spawners. Move spawner. ???. Profit.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Not playing with Thaumic Tinkerer, sorry. (ETA: no connection to following anecdote)

On the same trip, I found a hungry node that had eaten a witches' hut -- identified by the biome and by four nodes in a vertical line over the crater. Natch, the hungry one was topmost. Hmm, it's nice to have guaranteed nodes at the temples, witch huts, and whatever, but this is at least the second time I've seen one of those structures eaten by its own node.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Not playing with Thaumic Tinkerer, sorry. On the same trip, I found a hungry node that had eaten a witches' hut -- identified by the biome and by four nodes in a vertical line over the crater. Natch, the hungry one was topmost. Hmm, it's nice to have guaranteed nodes at the temples, witch huts, and whatever, but this is at least the second time I've seen one of those structures eaten by its own node.
What is wrong with TT? That is caused by vanilla TC

Reactions: Not_Steve

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
What is wrong with TT? That is caused by vanilla TC

Sorry for the confusion, my note was two distinct comments, no actual connection between them.

I haven't installed TT, basically because I'm trying to limit the complexity I'm adding to my game. I do have Mystcraft, but haven't made an age yet (though I may dare a random world or few soon, as I really need some order nodes within a day's march of home). I did try to toss in a couple of sub-mods of Mystcraft (because they didn't seem to "require my participation"), but that didn't work out too well: The other day the sub-mods suddenly started crashing my game on launch -- that is, right out of Mojang's splash screen. (Turned out both of them were obsolete for the Mystcraft version, so I dropped them.)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I think you're right in saying if two lamps managed to ping the same plant, progress wouldn't be as fast, but honestly.. I kinda wonder if that actually happens enough to disturb the bonus of the secondary lamp. For the most part they shouldn't be pinging the same plant
I agree, it's unlikely, but It's possible that each plant might have its own metadata on when it last grew, and the lamps might throttle themselves by not growing the same thing too quickly. I have no idea if that is the case.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, it's unlikely, but It's possible that each plant might have its own metadata on when it last grew, and the lamps might throttle themselves by not growing the same thing too quickly. I have no idea if that is the case.
I'm pretty sure that lamps stack. I've done a brief test where I got more mana beans with two lamps than with one.

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
So, I sorted out the spider spawner with some jack-o-lanterns, and the taint doesn't seem to be reaching it (though it did cut off the route back toward home). However, a swarm spawner seems to have appeared just inside the taint zone. The swarms don't seem to harass me while I'm out of sight in the spawner area, but once I come out it's another story -- and those things follow you friggin' forever! On the other hand, that's an obvious source of Vitium once I get a travelling trunk or mirrors. I did find one tainted node, that I'll destroy later, but it was at the other end of the patch, and I was trying to get home with a full inventory.

Any tips on travelling through the taint zone and dealing with the effects?

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So, I sorted out the spider spawner with some jack-o-lanterns, and the taint doesn't seem to be spreading (though it did cut off the route back toward home). However, a swarm spawner seems to have appeared just inside the taint zone. The swarms don't seem to harass me while I'm out of sight in the spawner area, but once I come out it's another story -- and those things follow you friggin' forever! On the other hand, that's an obvious source of Vitium once I get a travelling trunk or mirrors. I did find one tainted node, that I'll destroy later, but it was at the other end of the patch, and I was trying to get home with a full inventory.

Well, if you see a Tainted Node, destroy it at all costs. Then you can purify the land either with those things that grow under silverwood trees(if far enough in Thaumcraft to improve them for such a task), or just grow some silverwood trees near it(which turn it into a magical forest).

If the land isn't becoming crusted taint and tainted soil, run some water over it and it removes the fibrous tendrils that spread the taint. This of course does nothing to really clean the land, and it doesn't help if you have a tainted node in that area.

Reactions: Mental Mouse

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
So, I sorted out the spider spawner with some jack-o-lanterns, and the taint doesn't seem to be spreading (though it did cut off the route back toward home). However, a swarm spawner seems to have appeared just inside the taint zone. The swarms don't seem to harass me while I'm out of sight in the spawner area, but once I come out it's another story -- and those things follow you friggin' forever! On the other hand, that's an obvious source of Vitium once I get a travelling trunk or mirrors. I did find one tainted node, that I'll destroy later, but it was at the other end of the patch, and I was trying to get home with a full inventory.

Move quickly. Stay away from the spawning stuff. The tainted lands aren't so bad as they seem at first.

Or because I can't resist:

Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They're fast, faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink! Good luck.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you see a Tainted Node, destroy it at all costs. Then you can purify the land either with those things that grow under silverwood trees(if far enough in Thaumcraft to improve them for such a task), or just grow some silverwood trees near it(which turn it into a magical forest).

If the land isn't becoming crusted taint and tainted soil, run some water over it and it removes the fibrous tendrils that spread the taint. This of course does nothing to really clean the land, and it doesn't help if you have a tainted node in that area.
But I like taint :(

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

I should clarify, @Mental Mouse that there are other solutions to taint. A great one is from Technomany, a TC addon, which can change the land in a large area from tainted, to magical forest, to even eerie. But since you aren't even using TT, I doubt you have any other TC addons.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Some recent observations:

1.) Its been said often but I must reiterate, you MUST fight infusion instability. Go NUTS with it! 2014-04-10_16.27.29.png As long as I account for essentia loss via mirrors, I can actually walk away from KAMI infusions with no worries.

2.) "Easy" research mode isn't really that easy. To me I spent tons of time scouring for points and if I go through research from scratch any time soon, I'll use the regular mode.

3.) If you're using a pack with Metallurgy, then you have access to lots of extra research points. The ingots, tools, armor, & weapons are rich in points for research and infusion crafting. If you're ever low on praecantatio then get to scanning.

4.) Addons on TC4 are amazing. I had access to a 1,000 vis wand from Advanced Thaumaturgy way before I had access to KAMI. That said, the Mercurial Wand took over 12 minutes to infuse and is more expensive than the KAMI wand. Get your hands on the good ones that are discussed on these forums.
2014-04-10_16.26.17.png
The addons are just great and for the most part they integrate well with base TC.

5.) Blood Magic plays very well with TC and even moreso with certain addons. Forbidden Magic's latest update adds a Blood Staff core and a new TC based blood orb. That said the Blood Magic/Thaumcraft family of mods are growing and maturing very well. You owe it to look into them.

That's all. Just wanted to share some things I've been enjoying!

Last edited:
Reactions: James_Grimm

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Move quickly. Stay away from the spawning stuff. The tainted lands aren't so bad as they seem at first.

Or because I can't resist:

Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They're fast, faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink! Good luck.

Wise-guy :) Seriously, the thing that bugs me most is the knockback when the taint status hits. Followed closely by taintacles spawning underfoot (and I'm becoming pretty sure they do spawn in response to something -- fibrous taint? -- being walked on). I like to spend the nights on pillars when I'm travelling (few surprises in the morning, and easy access to remaining monsters), and that knockback plus whatever else is going on would be a disaster. And I suspect that the various spawns would make it difficult to use a bed. (Yeah, get out of the tainted lands before nightfall. If possible....)

A thought: The ethereal blooms are described as having an 8-block radius. Is that square, so you can use one per chunk? If it's a kite or octagon, I think you'd need at least 2 per chunk (one at the middle, one at the corners).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, uh, everyone, found a cool thing; so in case some of you don't know, it's damn near impossible to get started in TC 4(.1) without manually making Victus since almost everything that has it had further parts of the Victus Chain.

I just found a item that doesn't. Now, mind you, it's not in TC 4(.1) proper, nor a true TC 4(.1) addon... but still, a great find.

Mariculture Pearl Oysters. Has 1 aqua, and 1 Victus.
So-I-heard-you-liek-Hussie-mintymidget210-and-wednesday-31090986-700-847.jpg

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I remember this thread when it was little...
Hey, uh, everyone, found a cool thing; so in case some of you don't know, it's damn near impossible to get started in TC 4(.1) without manually making Victus since almost everything that has it had further parts of the Victus Chain.

I just found a item that doesn't. Now, mind you, it's not in TC 4(.1) proper, nor a true TC 4(.1) addon... but still, a great find.

Mariculture Pearl Oysters. Has 1 aqua, and 1 Victus.
So-I-heard-you-liek-Hussie-mintymidget210-and-wednesday-31090986-700-847.jpg
That is truly neat.