The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Infusion atler question... I get the xyz axis and everything... But is their a proper layout for pedestals? and is The Alter's North really north or is it North East? Do you still have to have pedestals for balance even if they don't have anything? How do you do 7 and 9 pedestal infusions? Do the pedestals need to be a certain distance from the infusing pedestal?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I stack 3 pedestals on each side. I've seen people do 2 on each side and 1 in each corner.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Even empty pedestals have to be symmetrical during the infusion process. I'm not sure what you mean about the altar's north but you can place the items on any pedestals, it doesn't have to be the arrangement in the book (apart from the centre item). It doesn't matter too much to have one pedestal with no partner.

Further information is available here.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Infusion atler question... I get the xyz axis and everything... But is their a proper layout for pedestals? and is The Alter's North really north or is it North East? Do you still have to have pedestals for balance even if they don't have anything? How do you do 7 and 9 pedestal infusions? Do the pedestals need to be a certain distance from the infusing pedestal?

Book is slightly confusing if you want you can have even 10 or 15 pedestals in the altar and they don't have to be in configuration in the book. The same with recipe you can put them in any order you want as long as you have middle bit correct and all ingredients presents then it doesn't matter what is where as long as they are symmetrical. In case of making uneven number of items make them as symmetrical as you can and this one odd number will cause slight increase in instability but you can easily deal with it with some candles etc.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It's more about symmetry than anything, the infusion code was written very well to allow high amounts of customisablilty

As long as you place a pedestal, and then draw a line through the x,z of the matrix, and find another pedestal on the other side at the same y, you're all sweet.

Also, try and place your items in the same way, so have something on the opposing pedestal, having an item with a pedestal on the other side causes a little instability (insignificant if it's only one item in the odd numbered recipes, but significant if you're doing it for every item)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
To be extremely explicit - you do NOT have to place your infusion reagents around the altar as depicted in the thaumanomicon. The thaumanomicon depicts the reagents arranged radially around the altar (with a clear north) but this depiction has no actual bearing on the infusion.

It is quite valid to simply place a set of altars to the left and right of your infusion altar (without regard to absolute north) and mix and match the reagents on either side.

Also, once an infusion has started, you can place extra items on pedestals and they will not harm the infusion. This is especially useful as you can balance out infusions with odd numbers of reagents, by placing a random reagent on the unbalanced empty pedestal after starting the infusion.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
To be extremely explicit - you do NOT have to place your infusion reagents around the altar as depicted in the thaumanomicon. The thaumanomicon depicts the reagents arranged radially around the altar (with a clear north) but this depiction has no actual bearing on the infusion.

It is quite valid to simply place a set of altars to the left and right of your infusion altar (without regard to absolute north) and mix and match the reagents on either side.

Also, once an infusion has started, you can place extra items on pedestals and they will not harm the infusion. This is especially useful as you can balance out infusions with odd numbers of reagents, by placing a random reagent on the unbalanced empty pedestal after starting the infusion.
Or like I do it (IIRC I read somewere azanor does this as well) place hoppers down on each pedestal with extra ingredients in the hoppers. Fully automated replacement.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Or like I do it (IIRC I read somewere azanor does this as well) place hoppers down on each pedestal with extra ingredients in the hoppers. Fully automated replacement.

I wish to qualify this by stating that I have not tried this with any thaumcraft addons (including thaumic tinkerer) but, since building two floors below my altar, each with a 7x7 arrangement of candles, my infusions have been so stable ive stopped preparing extra essentia or items.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I wish to qualify this by stating that I have not tried this with any thaumcraft addons (including thaumic tinkerer) but, since building two floors below my altar, each with a 7x7 arrangement of candles, my infusions have been so stable ive stopped preparing extra essentia or items.
I've done a similar setup and I can walk away from any KAMI infusion and not worry at all about instability. I made a stack of ichorium just for the lulz. I did not lose a single item.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I have one floor 15 by 15 and results are the same so it is not too difficult to make it super stable early on in the game with automated alchemy you can make candles on demand any time.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
67d115726f.png

I'll just leave this here.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
HE FOUND SOMEONE ELSE FOR IT?!
*checks technomancy thread*
Well according to what he's mentioned on Skype, yes.

Not saying who, though.
It's Wasliebob
[DOUBLEPOST=1403811766][/DOUBLEPOST]
I haven't found Technomancy as effective or cheap for infusion set ups, although it's still the best for small setups.
Energized Wand is the tits.
Just saying.