The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
It actually does. But not quicksilver as I thought but something even more obvious
Ender pearl

I solved the problem by editing
1) /minecraft/saves/<worldname>/players/<playername>.dat->ForgeData->PlayerPersisted->TCScanned->TCScannedObjList
2) /minecraft/saves/<worldname>/level.dat->Data->Player->ForgeData->PlayerPersisted->TCScanned->TCScannedObjList
with NBTExplorer.

In both lists I searched for the object ID and deleted the entry. Then I loaded my save, scanned the item and got the research unlocked.

I did the same for Brain in the Jar research (guess what the key was) and I will probably have to do it for a couple more.

If you want to do this legitimately, I have been following @Direwolf20 's
HTML:
<a href="www.youtube.com/user/direwolf20"> YouTube channel</a>
for his Forgecraft series (search for anything Thaumcraft related would give a few videos).

Watching some Twitch streams (like @Soaryn's
HTML:
<a href="www.twitch.tv/Soaryn">Twitch Channel</a>
can potentially reveal some of this.

Only other I can think of is to scan everything mirror-related (essentia stuff, infusion).

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to do this legitimately, I have been following @Direwolf20 's
HTML:
<a href="www.youtube.com/user/direwolf20"> YouTube channel</a>
for his Forgecraft series (search for anything Thaumcraft related would give a few videos).

Watching some Twitch streams (like @Soaryn's
HTML:
<a href="www.twitch.tv/Soaryn">Twitch Channel</a>
can potentially reveal some of this.

Only other I can think of is to scan everything mirror-related (essentia stuff, infusion).
Easier access to channels:
Youtube.com/Direwolf20
Twitch.tv/Soaryn

Reactions: Zaes

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
so, how does one simply pipe items into an infernal furnace?

Item ducts into an item grate set to open seems to just reject incoming wood.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
so, how does one simply pipe items into an infernal furnace?

Item ducts into an item grate set to open seems to just reject incoming wood.
I think you have to use a dropper. I've tried itemducts and hoppers myself. I had items popping out all over the floor.

Reactions: DREVL

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
well it was a matter of the infurnal furnace not being able to take stacks. So it can't take very many items. Infact I can't even use slow item ducts with the furnace because it over 5 secs overloads the furnace and causing it to reject everything until you reset the grate. So I don't know how to pipe into it.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I think you have to use a dropper. I've tried itemducts and hoppers myself. I had items popping out all over the floor.
wanted to use it. maybe I*'ll have to make a timer and tell the pipe to release only 1 at a time.

Reactions: RedBoss

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Try OpenBlock's dropper, it was pretty much created for this.
Why do vanilla droppers have to vomit things everywhere anyway.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I've finally scanned enough things to start the research. The new mini-game makes you think a little more but is easier & quicker to get through overall. There is still some progression in that you have to research some things to unlock others, but being able to pick your path may be the single best improvement to Thaumcraft ever made. I see a couple new pipes to go with the filter pipes just to confuse things a little more. If anyone figures out how to build a complex working system with them, please do a tutorial.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to say how much I hate the pipe changes... Can we get something besides a golem that I have to baby sit (will just sit there next to the furnace while the furnace was producing until I push it... It's all a flat, no obstacle area.....), and a pipe system that I have to baby sit?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to say how much I hate the pipe changes... Can we get something besides a golem that I have to baby sit (will just sit there next to the furnace while the furnace was producing until I push it... It's all a flat, no obstacle area.....), and a pipe system that I have to baby sit?
Try using the golemancer's bell to define the area he should service. Also putting your stability items beneath the floor, like heads & candles, they interfere with golem pathfinding

Reactions: MigukNamja

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Try using the golemancer's bell to define the area he should service. Also putting your stability items beneath the floor, like heads & candles, they interfere with golem pathfinding
This is a completely remote area from my infusion area. (Although, they can go below the altar? .... brb. XD) And I have tried configuring him with the bell... I mean, he works... But he just derps 35% of the time. Just irritating how I do have to babysit both options. Guess it doesn't matter, since I almost have everything I want from TC, but... Eh.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

^^^ This

I have 1 golem on each alchemic furnace and my essentia is now fully automated. Here's how I did it:

1. Place furnace(s) and alembics on top in an area clear of obstructions

2. Place warded/void jars in a clear path of the furnace and close enough to the Infusion Altar (they can be pretty darn far away) so it can draw from them2.

3. For each furnace, right-click place the golem on one of the side faces of the furnace

4. Golem will be inactive (head down). Place the alchemy core to make him an alchemic golem.

5. With the golemancer's bell in your hand, left-click 1 golem and then right-click one side face of each jar. The golems seem to be able to place in jars at ground level and at least 1 off of ground level. Yes, this means you can stack jars and the golems will reach them.

6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each golem

You do not need to give the golem anything after you put the core on. They have their own built-in jar and don't need to replenish it. You also probably don't need to upgrade them with anything. They should be able to move essentia far faster than it cooks up with regular charcoal.

One last note : try to avoid golem pathing through your altar. For 1 furnace, this means your jars will be on one side of your altar only. This is not a problem other than appearances. If you *really* want to surround your altar with jars, I recommend evenly spaced furnaces. However, this will cause other complicated problems like duplicated essentia jars.

You may want to put your furnace and jars on a different floor/level than your altar to give your golems free reign. The altar does not need line-of-side (LOS) to draw essentia.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Let me just say that if you have several Thaumcraft add-ions accumulating enough aspects to do research gets a bit hairy. Heck, even with just regular TC you will run out of Ordo at some point. And probably Aero. You will never use all the Ignis and Perdito you get, though.

I have Advanced Thaumaturgy, Forbidden Magic, Tinkerer and Thaumic Exploration. I have to stop every so often and burn through 4 stacks of crafting tables (on 4 deconstruction tables) to keep progressing. A minor flaw in an otherwise wonderful research mechanic.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Let me just say that if you have several Thaumcraft add-ions accumulating enough aspects to do research gets a bit hairy. Heck, even with just regular TC you will run out of Ordo at some point. And probably Aero. You will never use all the Ignis and Perdito you get, though.

I have Advanced Thaumaturgy, Forbidden Magic, Tinkerer and Thaumic Exploration. I have to stop every so often and burn through 4 stacks of crafting tables (on 4 deconstruction tables) to keep progressing. A minor flaw in an otherwise wonderful research mechanic.

Ditto. Aggressive scanning and passive accumulation at 0 was not nearly enough, especially Ordo and Aer. I had to make 4 decon tables to finish research, and that's with just TC4.1, TT, and Magic Bees.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into the same problem, with the Deconstruction table at least I found a use for all the stacks of Zombie Flesh I have from Gravestone Mod.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone solved the silwood staff with thaumium cap crafting issue? With base TC alone, even with full robes and a Silverwood wand with a foci having frugal, you can't craft the darn thing. I had to settle for a Gold capped Silverwood Staff.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone solved the silwood staff with thaumium cap crafting issue? With base TC alone, even with full robes and a Silverwood wand with a foci having frugal, you can't craft the darn thing. I had to settle for a Gold capped Silverwood Staff.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've read that if you do a full set of Vis discounts (Goggles, Thaumostatic harness, Mage leggings & Boots) and a Thaum-capped Silverwood wand with a Frugal 3 focus on it (and no potency at all), it just barely fits. But I haven't tested it myself as I said. The staff of the primal does not fit without using the KAMI wand, but Azanor is promising a more advanced crafting system for making the high tier staffs later (no idea beyond that).

On the Infusion Altar stuff, has anyone tried powering it using an Essentia mirror? I would think putting your Essentia factory in it's own room and sending the essence through a mirror would be much easier then figuring out Golem problems, but I haven't gottten that far on my Magic Farm2 world yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1393864021][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, just for kicks I tried setting TC research to easy for my new world ....

It's not that easy. I'm constantly out of aspects to actually purchase things because buying research often costs more points then I would have used on the mini-game, and so I'm constantly running out of primals. I've almost got my first Decon table built to try and help with that (MF2, takes a little while to get to gold), now I just need to track down a Perdito node to make it. For some reason the zombies I've killed haven't dropped any perdito orbs, and I don't have a node near my base.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm constantly out of aspects to actually purchase things...

Ditto here. Starting TC 4.1 is easier, but completing the research is not. I found one(1) decon table was not enough.

Ironically, the "easy" research is in some ways more difficult than the default or hard. With the default or hard, you get to sort of choose which aspects to burn while researching. For instance, I burned a lot of excess saxum, metallum, ignis, perdito, and the blue gem one on the far right side.

With the easy purchase-only option, you have to spend a lot of primals with no option of burning the aspects you already have a ton of from scanning.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Ditto here. Starting TC 4.1 is easier, but completing the research is not. I found one(1) decon table was not enough.

Ironically, the "easy" research is in some ways more difficult than the default or hard. With the default or hard, you get to sort of choose which aspects to burn while researching. For instance, I burned a lot of excess saxum, metallum, ignis, perdito, and the blue gem one on the far right side.

With the easy purchase-only option, you have to spend a lot of primals with no option of burning the aspects you already have a ton of from scanning.

Indeed. I have noticed the exact same thing. I do love it though... Breezing through research. And buying things is great. It may be a bit easier and faster, but costs something in its own way. Well-balanced, if you ask me.

Primals are a horror though. I went on a node scanning hunt today (succesful, found tons of nodes and even a TC Magical Forest right next to the nearby Witchwood Forest!), and I am yet again dry for Aer.

Now, I need to setup a whole infusion system and such. I've never done that before (I've always lived with people that had one already), and I'm kinda not looking forward to it. Not the setup itself, but the building I need to build around it. Hehe :3.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
For vis discounts, try using the goggles from blood magic. I believe they give 10% discount instead of 5%. (Unless that has changed recently)

I am still working on my reed staff. I just got a lamp of growth and a mana bean farm going. Still need the aurum aspect to finish the crafting. Any good sources besides breaking nodes or finding wisps?

Reactions: Padfoote