The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

Cocofang

Jul 29, 2019
That's the other half of the problem. Before TiC, you had to choose between an electric recharging non-enchantable tool, and a non-recharging enchanted tool without free repairs. Now, your can have a sharpness 3, unbreaking 2, looting 3 sword with higher base damage than diamond, and recharge it with either EU or RF.

That's how i feel it should be. Electric tools shouldn't be enchantable. But i don't really care not playing with TiC anyway for a multitude of reasons.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
lol, would be funny if you could combine the essentia pipes and golems into a golem-powered essentia pipe system.
the golems would be turning some kind of wheel that would apply suction to an essentia pump, that'll make essentia flow faster and in bigger quantities through the network
or perhaps take the ender io direction and have several essentia pipes in the same block, which would allow more types of essentia to flow through the system at the same time

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
lol, would be funny if you could combine the essentia pipes and golems into a golem-powered essentia pipe system.
the golems would be turning some kind of wheel that would apply suction to an essentia pump, that'll make essentia flow faster and in bigger quantities through the network
or perhaps take the ender io direction and have several essentia pipes in the same block, which would allow more types of essentia to flow through the system at the same time

Or just make the essentia act like an item inside the pipe and manage it like every other item routing pipe out there, but you know reasons.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
so thaumcraft should just become just like every other mod out there and do things exactly the same?
Well, if it did that, at least it'd look
201107142327000.gif

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, other than the alchemy golems not working for me, (they just stand there and do nothing when I've assigned the tasks and given them the alchemy core) I really like the 4.1 update.

Edit: Never mind about the bug, when I updated to the latest version it was fixed.

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Repair isn't being removed which is good. But mods are improvements or additions to the vanilla game aren't they? A diamond sword is fairly easy to gain within 30 minutes of vanilla play, the dilemma is that gaining levels is tedious and the enchants you receive are random. To get a good diamond enchanted sword in vanilla requires great luck or lots of time grinding levels and enchanting books. Yet even vanilla is addressing this with a lower cost repair option.

As it stands in TC4, the Repair enchant is free once you gain it. But by the time you've gotten the enchant you've ground through shard collection, node scanning, item scanning, research mini game, essentia distillation, & infusion crafting. You've spent a LOT of time before you even consider enchanting your hard earned Sword of the Zephyr. Yes Repair was tied to nodes in TC3, but you honestly had less things to manage and fight through to get to the same point.

I love Thaumcraft, but there's gates on everything now. It's approaching *insert Xzibit meme* amounts of gates. The content of the mod is not shallow though. You get great gear, the aesthetic is good, and it's a great base for add on content. I would just say that there's plenty of room for leeway and the Repair enchant is one of those things. At the least I'd hope any nerf would be configurable.

Cocofang

Jul 29, 2019
No, mods are modifications not "improvements".

And even if, improvement wouldn't mean "just more power". Look at TFC or mods like that. Or witchery or Raiclraft. Mods that add alot of interesting stuff without providing much additional power.

Actually I've read an interesting post about ore multiplication and how useless it in fact is. Something among the line of it is only needed if the mods recipes are balanced around having way more ore, in which case it screws with other mods that go with lower multiplication values as well as Vanilla (which already has problems with its abundance). And how it would be better to instead of multiplying it, to process it into something else (e.g. Steel) that would gate your own mods items, instead of higher requirements and would not screw up parts of Vanilla or other mods. But I guess it's a few years to late for this isn't it? Even though i would love if mods would follow the 2x standard instead of going even higher (which in some cases isn't even needed for the mod itself, looking at you mekanism). Things like Gravel Ores don't help either :p

Something similar goes for equipment. I mean Thaucmraft even shows how it's done. It adds an interesting toy, harder to get than a diamond sword, but not a vast increase of power. Instead it offers nice side-effects. Or you could just make a bland normal sword that does 14 damage and only costs a bit of Obsidian and Osmium -.-

Reactions: YX33A

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

And even if, improvement wouldn't mean "just more power". Look at TFC or mods like that. Or witchery or Raiclraft. Mods that add alot of interesting stuff without providing much additional power.

Actually I've read an interesting post about ore multiplication and how useless it in fact is. Something among the line of it is only needed if the mods recipes are balanced around having way more ore, in which case it screws with other mods that go with lower multiplication values as well as Vanilla (which already has problems with its abundance). And how it would be better to instead of multiplying it, to process it into something else (e.g. Steel) that would gate your own mods items, instead of higher requirements and would not screw up parts of Vanilla or other mods. But I guess it's a few years to late for this isn't it? Even though i would love if mods would follow the 2x standard instead of going even higher (which in some cases isn't even needed for the mod itself, looking at you mekanism). Things like Gravel Ores don't help either :p

Something similar goes for equipment. I mean Thaucmraft even shows how it's done. It adds an interesting toy, harder to get than a diamond sword, but not a vast increase of power. Instead it offers nice side-effects. Or you could just make a bland normal sword that does 14 damage and only costs a bit of Obsidian and Osmium -.-
Actually modifications CAN be improvements.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
So in general, I feel that we should wait for all the Thaumcraft 4.1 changes before judging it as it is.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
So in general, I feel that we should wait for all the Thaumcraft 4.1 changes before judging it as it is.
I disagree with this mindset. A public release is a public release. You can't indefinitely reserve critique because of promised future features. Form your opinion based on what is available, not what might someday become available.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with this mindset. A public release is a public release. You can't indefinitely reserve critique because of promised future features. Form your opinion based on what is available, not what might someday become available.
It's cool to critique and give advice to the mod author especially if the changes aren't all done.

Reactions: unknown zombie

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Actually, I don't mind the mekanism 5x ore processing. it's a big expensive build, and it can allow you to make a custom pack with custom world gen that has 5x less ore. Forces you to build that processing system, and to watch your resources even more.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I don't mind the mekanism 5x ore processing. it's a big expensive build, and it can allow you to make a custom pack with custom world gen that has 5x less ore. Forces you to build that processing system, and to watch your resources even more.
Like a tech geared magic farm?
That would be amazing...

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Like a tech geared magic farm?
That would be amazing...

Hehe, whenever I have access to CoFH/Metallurgy config stuff for oregen, I greatly reduce oregen. In my personal pack, I'm planning on having 3x less ore (or something), and gating TE3/MFR behind Tinker's Steelworks Steel production (Steel for Machine Frames, TE recipes for MFR stuff). It'll make you work and suffer for your ores.
The BetterDungeons stuff will provide some dusts, ingots and expensive gems though, but those are quite hard to reach.

Anyway, I will definitly try to develop such a pack. That'll be fun!