The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
It's not so much as the fact that he changed what he did, it's the fact that he's on a nerfing spree and doesn't look he's going to stop anytime soon.

Thaumcraft is still cool and all, but if the streak continues as it looks like it may, then it will lose a lot of the appeal it has gained.
Greg has tainted Azanor, just saying. (this is a taint joke.)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Greg has tainted Azanor, just saying. (this is a taint joke.)
resized_your-music-is-bad-meme-generator-your-post-is-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad-e72301.jpg

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
You still can. Or at least I think you can. You right click the alembic with the jar in your hand.
Oh. Direwolf20 mentioned that you couldn't fill them manually, it was either pipes or golems. Hmm... I'm going to have to try this, that'll change a lot lol.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Repair is going away? That's just stupid. I've stated in this thread that I dislike the pipe nerf mainly because golems aren't 100% reliable. But losing Repair and the oddball mechanics of pipes are very off putting. As it stands, even my favorite thaumcraft youtuber, who's name I won't drop, can't even wrap his head around how he pipes work effectively. It's honestly not a stretch to say that thaumcraft is becoming magical gregtech. It's truly not.

What's the source of these future changes?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on the "net positive" side of things. I've been with Thaumcraft since 2. Loved 2, loved 3, wanted to love 4. Research as a mini-game?! Fantastic! Reality fell short of expectations. It was a mini-game that was fun maybe ten times, but need to be played fifty or more per new world to use the full mod. For all the new starts I've done since 4.0 dropped, I've finished the research tree only once.

The 4.1 research system is an improvement for two reasons. Firstly, the new mini-game is much more enjoyable to me. Secondly, there is now a supported option for turning off the mini-game beyond the cheat book. Both are wins.

As far as the nerfs go, they just don't seem that bad to me. The aspect scanning changes seem like a net wash to me. The arcane furnace nugget change seems like a silly unneeded nerf to a device I never used. Mana pods are whatever, every farm uses some sort of growth acceleration these days.

The tubes are slightly annoying, but the thematic change they bring is worth it IMO. You can still build an elaborate tube network, but you'll need to be around to manually turn valves and direct essentia. If you want a hands-free solution, you're stuck with those derpy little helpers I love. Designing a room to allow my brainless minions to do their job efficiently is part of the fun for me. I'd love to see them a bit brighter...

He's doing "something" with Repair, and IMO it's about damn time. When it was introduced it had a price tag. You could easily Flux up the world running multiple high repair enchants. I've been waiting for a new "downside" since 4 hit. The two ideas mentioned so far (replace with an expendable item that needs recreating, gate behind non-research content) both interest me.

In all, I've been following Azanor for years. I trust him to continue to make an awesome magic mod.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that the 'nerf' to the tubes was so that they were not causing minecraft to stroke out when they were used en masse. An I wrong? Are there other 'nerfs' planned that I have not heard about?
Repair is going away. All non-KAMI tools are now completely irrelevant.

Oh yeah, and Azanor could've easily fixed the lag issues. Let's not kid here, we are not dealing with a standard modder, we are dealing with a guy that has a life, pulls out massive patches filled with new content and amazing animations on a regular basis and rewrites his mod every few versions. He is a top-tier modder. Even with as little as I know about Java I can guess that there are several ways to heavily optimize the old pipes with his level of skill.

I'll be honest: the pipes were basically a necessity in late-game TC4 that was (and STILL IS) balanced around them. Repair in TC4 sucked for the most part, but it kept the tools viable just barely. Neither were "OP" by any stretch of the imagination comparative to the other things this mod gives you.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
What is the source of these potential changes so thay we may examine the veracity of the claims?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Repair is going away. All non-KAMI tools are now completely irrelevant.

Leaving aside the comments on how easy coding something is, what do you mean by... all of that? Non-KAMI (an addon to an addon made by someone else) tools are useless? How? Is the axe not going to chop wood, will the pick no longer give the double ingot goodness? Also: where are you getting this? Sources people sources! We are not the newspaper, we have standards here.

Harumph, as usual a bunch of hyperbole generated from one comment about something that may or may not happen.
The repair enchant is too good, I agree. I have been considering alternatives, but I'm still not sure how to approach the problem.

I'm thinking of seriously nerfing the enchant itself to something like 1 durability a minute (simply removing it might break things).

However to have "quick" repairing some other mechanic will take its place. Maybe an item with its own durability that repairs any equipped items over time and will eventually break. That means you will need to keep recrafting it. Alternatively it won't break but will need recharging in some expensive fashion.

As for aura nodes I do have some things planned for them in the future. Not a nerf exactly - more of a return to older times
smile.png

From here

Last edited:

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Leaving aside the comments on how easy coding something is, what do you mean by... all of that? Non-KAMI (an addon to an addon made by someone else) tools are useless? How? Is the axe not going to chop wood, will the pick no longer give the double ingot goodness? Also: where are you getting this? Sources people sources! We are not the newspaper, we have standards here.
Succubism could give the exact source if she wants to, though I would argue that Succubism by herself is a reliable source given that she either has direct contact with Azanor or at least often talks to people in direct contact with Azanor. To date I cannot recount her giving any false info on Thaumcraft 3 or 4.

How are the tools (and Thaumium Armor too) made irrelevant? They're now outclassed by almost every other option, including vanilla diamond tools. Repair is frankly why they were viable at all due to them being based on bursts of durability use. Let's go down and look at each one individually:
-Pick: The doubling is only useful when no tech mods are present, and no tech mods means much less use for double ores. Scanning feature takes durability, which is currently countered by (surprise surprise) Repair. Was never really that good anyway IMO.
-Axe: Burnt durability like cheap firewood when used. Counter to burst durability loss? You guessed it: Repair.
-Sword: Out of all of these survived the nerf the best in that it's a full-fledged AoE sword, which is insanely good. Still worse than before though.
-Hoe: This thing was good before because it was convenient and basically never broke. May as well just use iron/invar hoes now, because remaking anything via infusion isn't exactly convenient.
-Shovel: See axe.
-Armor: Basically just Invar or Steel armor. If you don't have tech mods then go make diamond armor because diamonds don't have nearly as many uses in magic mods.

Reactions: kaovalin

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so there is no change I have to look for in the MCF thread, just the stuff about maybe considering changing the way repair works, got it.

Reactions: RedBoss

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone played with the new tubes yet? Do they allow at least some form of automatic piping?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, since it looks like the changes aren't stopping, that's a good thing

Because it means there's a chance to see the reaction to the changes that are being made and thus can react accordingly

So far I think it's been overall positive, I'd wait until he stops changing things about drastically to pull a judgement on the new Thaumcraft.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious why anyone things they'll have to remake a tool by Infusion crafting. Last I checked, repairing in a vanilla anvil using thaumium is still an option. If you have other mods, Ars Magica 2 and Thaumic Tinkerer both got your back.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious why anyone things they'll have to remake a tool by Infusion crafting. Last I checked, repairing in a vanilla anvil using thaumium is still an option. If you have other mods, Ars Magica 2 and Thaumic Tinkerer both got your back.

In argument to that, prior to said changes, it could be done within the same mod. I dont consider adding mods a great solution when the orignal mod had it built in. Its just the solution we as players are left with.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
In argument to that, prior to said changes, it could be done within the same mod. I dont consider adding mods a great solution when the orignal mod had it built in. Its just the solution we as players are left with.
Or, you know we can wait and see what actually happens with repair. Who knows maybe it will be more like rechargeable tools where you can go repair them in some magical thing with vis or essentia or carry a portable repair thingie with you (kinda like exactly what azinor actually posted)

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
So, if repair is getting the axe, which add-on is first in line to add it back in? Thaumic Tinkerer seems like a natural fit, considering the osmotic enchanter and all the extra enchantments it adds already.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Or, you know we can wait and see what actually happens with repair. Who knows maybe it will be more like rechargeable tools where you can go repair them in some magical thing with vis or essentia or carry a portable repair thingie with you (kinda like exactly what azinor actually posted)

I wasnt commenting on the mod so much as the concept of solving dilemas with other mods.