The Thaumcraft 4.1 Experience

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Towerwood planks from the Twilight forest. I usually turn one of the towers into cobble with the wand of equal trade. Its very tough and takes forever to break with any type of axe.
The digital miner is great for that

Reactions: Padfoote

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I'm going to spill the beans on my thoughts on 4.1 and I don't expect anyone to like this.

I thought 4.0 was awesome. I thought it was as close to as "perfect" as a mod would hope to get. Fun, engaging, immersive, entertaining and challenging. Aesthetically pleasing and functionally tight, despite a few optimization hiccups. I had a boner for this mod and people shared that. I've met new, awesome, creative people over that shared boner.

That boner has been killed, folks.

I dread updates now. I could accept the pipes becoming effectively useless (at least compared to how useful they were), I could even live with mana beans being dropped and folks, I could grow to like the new research, once I drill it's solutions and useless information into my head, but now I learn these are but a few changes and nerfs being made to the mod. For those who don't know, Repair's going next.

What fun I found in the mod I see now as chore and what additions were added combined with what good elements in the mod remains don't make up for it anymore. The mod's turning into something I can't support. Something I've spent what time I've had in this community publicly opposing. It's what slaps the toy out your hand because you're "too big" for it. It's what tries to please everyone by fixing nothing and adversely pleases very few.

I'll submit that Staffs are pretty cool, though other than aesthetics serve little purpose, that pipes needed to be fixed (by which I mean optimized for server play. Their play-function was fine. Shut up.) and that Runic Armor is pretty funky, but that's my limit.

All I'll say is it's not the same. Change happens, I get that, but sometimes change is bad, this, to me, is one of those cases.

PS: Alchemy Golems suck. There. I said it.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
PS: Alechemy Golems suck. There. I said it.
iwGuwfR.gif

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
This.

I'm sorry, but of all the amazing golem functions Alchemy Golems are trash-tier, embarrassingly pathetic and a disgrace. Why or how Azanor got the slightest idea that making them required (or not removing them entirely) was good is completely beyond my logic.[/rant]

Having them as a viable option isn't bad. But nerfing the alternative to the point where alchemy golems are practically necessary is a bit shortsighted IMHO.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Having them as a viable option isn't bad. But nerfing the alternative to the point where alchemy golems are practically necessary is a bit shortsighted IMHO.
Except they were never viable to begin with, and basically never will be due to golem mechanics without something crazy like double range and flight (even then, pipes were still better to look at and they'll still be useless for everything else).

Reactions: Succubism

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I'm going to spill the beans on my thoughts on 4.1 and I don't expect anyone to like this.

I thought 4.0 was awesome. I thought it was as close to as "perfect" as a mod would hope to get. Fun, engaging, immersive, entertaining and challenging. Aesthetically pleasing and functionally tight, despite a few optimization hiccups. I had a boner for this mod and people shared that. I've met new, awesome, creative people over that shared boner.

That boner has been killed, folks.

I dread updates now. I could accept the pipes becoming effectively useless (at least compared to how useful they were), I could even live with mana beans being dropped and folks, I could grow to like the new research, once I drill it's solutions and useless information into my head, but now I learn these are but a few changes and nerfs being made to the mod. For those who don't know, Repair's going next.

What fun I found in the mod I see now as chore and what additions were added combined with what good elements in the mod remains don't make up for it anymore. The mod's turning into something I can't support. Something I've spent what time I've had in this community publicly opposing. It's what slaps the toy out your hand because you're "too big" for it. It's what tries to please everyone by fixing nothing and adversely pleases very few.

I'll submit that Staffs are pretty cool, though other than aesthetics serve little purpose, that pipes needed to be fixed (by which I mean optimized for server play. Their play-function was fine. Shut up.) and that Runic Armor is pretty funky, but that's my limit.

All I'll say is it's not the same. Change happens, I get that, but sometimes change is bad, this, to me, is one of those cases.

PS: Alchemy Golems suck. There. I said it.
I would say that Thaumcraft 4.1 isn't completely dead. It's still incredibly awesome and fun. The only absolute bad thing about it would be the essentia pipes nerf and the golems being weird as hell. Of course, that and Repair going too. But that would be about it. Going so far as to say that a boner for a mod was derected just because of two such changes is a bit unfair imo.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I would say that Thaumcraft 4.1 isn't completely dead. It's still incredibly awesome and fun. The only absolute bad thing about it would be the essentia pipes nerf and the golems being weird as hell. Of course, that and Repair going too. But that would be about it. Going so far as to say that a boner for a mod was derected just because of two such changes is a bit unfair imo.
The number of changes are irrelevant, though there where certainly more than two. It's what those changes where. They are pretty damn alarming changes that most agree are detrimental and yes, "derecting."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
It's not so much as the fact that he changed what he did, it's the fact that he's on a nerfing spree and doesn't look he's going to stop anytime soon.

Thaumcraft is still cool and all, but if the streak continues as it looks like it may, then it will lose a lot of the appeal it has gained.

Reactions: Padfoote

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
There's only so much addons can do when the main author's balance philosophy is fundamentally flawed.

Frankly, the pipe nerf by itself wouldn't be enough, the the fact that repair is going, pipes have been "replaced" by Failchemy Golems and we haven't even heard everything is disturbing.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
There's only so much addons can do when the main author's balance philosophy is fundamentally flawed.

Frankly, the pipe nerf by itself wouldn't be enough, the the fact that repair is going, pipes have been "replaced" by Failchemy Golems and we haven't even heard everything is disturbing.
Hehe, it actually keeps giving me more ideas and things to innovate. The pipes gave me an idea for essentia tesla coils. I'm looking forward to that one.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
It's not so much as the fact that he changed what he did, it's the fact that he's on a nerfing spree and doesn't look he's going to stop anytime soon.

Thaumcraft is still cool and all, but if the streak continues as it looks like it may, then it will lose a lot of the appeal it has gained.
I was under the impression that the 'nerf' to the tubes was so that they were not causing minecraft to stroke out when they were used en masse. An I wrong? Are there other 'nerfs' planned that I have not heard about?

As for the other changes, this seems to be a revitalization of Thuamcraft for me. @Succubism , the way you feel now, where the magic seems to have gone in you love of thaumcraft? That's where a lot of us were with the research mechanic in TC4.0. I mean TC3 was not fun but TC4 was unfun for some of us. Combine that with the changes to nodes(where are my shiny god-sized nodes?) and the trivialization of taint/flux and I felt a little unmoved. This change eliminates at least one of my major annoyances with TC4 so I can only see it as a good thing. Also: AUTOMATIC CRUCIBLES! Still happy about that.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Eh, I like 4.1. For one thing, having research not being so damned random is a godsend. Unless you cheated, or had done the research thing a few times, guiding the old research was impossible, and even if you knew what you wanted it was still a PITA. And changing the thaumometer recipe was damned brilliant, too. Unless you were lucky, or waited to mid or late game, finding one of each shard could take hours of manual mining. Basically, this huge barrier to get started with the mod, this huge timesink of rolling the dice to see if maybe that research you really wanted to pop up actually shows up... gone. And not missed.

Now, it is entirely possible to get into TC early and that is just a wonderful thing.

And the research changes are also brilliant. Mind, I didn't exactly hate the old system. But, let's face it, it wasn't exactly intuitive. And moving symbols around got old, quick. As did having to refill your scribing tool every third or fourth research. And having research be configurable, having the mini game be skippable if you like? Why did it take this long to get this option? If you've gone through the research a time or two, being able to say "screw it, I'm done pushing symbols around, I'll just spend the aspects, thanks" is just awesome. I tend to restart worlds fairly often, and having to redo TC research just gets painful.