The rebirth of IC2 ?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You rather automatically replant and manual gathering (IC2 crops) or automatically gathering and manual replanting (vanilla crops) and you can't have both. Without taking into account other mods that is.

I chose number 2

Actually, with IC2's crops and MFR's Harvesters, you can actually automate both and doesn't require a planter.

And, I can't read. :(

Reactions: SpitefulFox

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
I could see the plants that produce ink sacs being useful as an alternative to a mfr squidfarm. No more squid hunting for thaumcraft research, ars magica 2 spell writing and mystcraft books.

You could (at least in whatever IC2 is in unleashed 1.1.3 and whatever version ultimate is) breed a black flower that would do exactly that.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish that someone would make for IC2 what extra bees is to Forestry. Remember how useless bees were before extra bees? That's what crops are now.

Reactions: Flipz

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish that someone would make for IC2 what extra bees is to Forestry. Remember how useless bees were before extra bees? That's what crops are now.

I feel as though perhaps you have not looked into Gregtech. It adds many different plants to IC2, including ore generating plants for tin, copper, lead, etc. Also, many mob drop plants, such as eggs, meat, spider eyes, ender pearls, etc.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I feel as though perhaps you have not looked into Gregtech. It adds many different plants to IC2, including ore generating plants for tin, copper, lead, etc. Also, many mob drop plants, such as eggs, meat, spider eyes, ender pearls, etc.

Well that's gregTech. Which I don't exactly approve of. I'm talking about a mod specifically for crops and nothing else.

Reactions: Flipz and Dravarden

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the later crops seem pretty useful to me with or without Greg's help. :p

The main thing that keeps me from ever really getting into IC2's crop breeding is having to babysit the crop sticks to keep weeds away. When your mod is almost literally forcing players to watch grass grow, you're doing something wrong. Only thing that could possibly be more boring is having to stare at your painted construction foam as the paint dries in order to keep vandals from putting fingerprints on it if you don't chase them off. :p

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You don't have to babysit really. I usually not care about the plants until they are fully grown, then I place double cropsticks adjacent to both the matured plants I want to crossbreed. Once the double cropsticks has successfully crossbred, I will just ignore it till it is mature.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
You don't have to babysit really. I usually not care about the plants until they are fully grown, then I place double cropsticks adjacent to both the matured plants I want to crossbreed. Once the double cropsticks has successfully crossbred, I will just ignore it till it is mature.

It's the crossbreeding I have trouble with. I can't seem to crossbreed anything other than weeds. :p

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You got mad skillz then, lol. Only time I have issue with weeds is when I leave the cropsticks, without crossbreeding plants adjacent to it, alone for a period of time.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the later crops seem pretty useful to me with or without Greg's help. :p

The main thing that keeps me from ever really getting into IC2's crop breeding is having to babysit the crop sticks to keep weeds away. When your mod is almost literally forcing players to watch grass grow, you're doing something wrong. Only thing that could possibly be more boring is having to stare at your painted construction foam as the paint dries in order to keep vandals from putting fingerprints on it if you don't chase them off. :p

I once suggested on the IC forums for a machine that could be used to cross-breed crops with eachother.
you'd give the machine 2 seed bags, and it'd cross-breed the seed bags for you. in the recipe there would be a luminator for light, it'd require water cells for hydraction, fuel for generating warmth and EU for the machine to work. you'd also be able to put bonemeal and weed-ex in the machine to speed up the progress.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I once suggested on the IC forums for a machine that could be used to cross-breed crops with eachother.
you'd give the machine 2 seed bags, and it'd cross-breed the seed bags for you. in the recipe there would be a luminator for light, it'd require water cells for hydraction, fuel for generating warmth and EU for the machine to work. you'd also be able to put bonemeal and weed-ex in the machine to speed up the progress.

I wouldn't mind a device that could do breeding, but what I would really want is a cloning machine. Put in seed bags and other costs (determine as required by balance) and then provide it power and time, and it will clone seed bags.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
I remember when simply walking (even shift walking) on IC2 crops caused them to break, but after that was removed it made them a lot more valuable (to me personally, anyway) early-game, but they always end up covered in weeds if you don't constantly maintain them.

Also, someone might know if it still the case that cross-breeding is more likely at above y-level 200?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Since it hasn't been changed yet - yes. Plants scale off air quality and soil quality, and air quality scales with height. So your best bet is a platform at y=250 over a swamp biome. It's one of the counterintuitive things I recommended to change.

I got an interesting comment from SirusKing (IC2 sprite artist) on this, to quote: "The Crop system is currently, if I am correct in thinking this, being redone by Minalien for us. No idea what he/r plans are for it though." Now, keeping in mind the fact that he isn't entirely sure, there's a solid chance that the crop system is already undergoing revision as we speak.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Weeds can (in my experience) only establish on an empty crop. If you have anything on the crop at all - doesn't matter what plant, a weed will not grow on it.

HOWEVER, weeds once fully grown -can- take over neighboring crops.

So, basically - if you never leave an empty crop you will never see weeds.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
That was what I always thought, but a few times I've returned to find a farm full of weeds even though I made sure not to leave any empty crops. It is however entirely possible that another player came by and forgot to replant though, being that both occasions were on SMP :D .

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Must be - I've had a "field" of crops left on my server in a chunkloaded area for weeks at a time - no empty crops, no weeds :p

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
As said, weeds only start in empty crops. And doubled crops for crossbreeding have a higher chance.

But it does take time. So as long as you're not going mining for a while you just need to check on them every so often when crossbreeding.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Weeds can (in my experience) only establish on an empty crop. If you have anything on the crop at all - doesn't matter what plant, a weed will not grow on it.
That was what I always thought, but a few times I've returned to find a farm full of weeds even though I made sure not to leave any empty crops. It is however entirely possible that another player came by and forgot to replant though, being that both occasions were on SMP :D .
Must be - I've had a "field" of crops left on my server in a chunkloaded area for weeks at a time - no empty crops, no weeds :p

That's not how it goes, actually. It depends on what you plant.

Successfully crossing plants increases the stats of the descendant plant - growth, gain (yield) and resistance. The resistance stat governs how safe the plant is from weed attacks. Growth, on the other hand, influences not only maturing speed, but also how vulnerable the plant is to weeds.

As a result, if you breed yourself a plant with a high growth stat without taking care to raise resistance as well (or providing weed-ex), you will run the risk of plants spontaneously becoming weedy. And even if it's super rare - once you get one such unlucky event, the single weed will rapidly take over everything else growing nearby.