The rebirth of IC2 ?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
That really shouldn't be a problem. If the code is up on github or whatever since 1/1/2013 and Joe ArseFace tries to pass it off as his own on 4/1/2013, the egg's on Joe's face.

I wish it worked like that, but the way it often works is Joe A.F. makes minor changes, and distributes a binary only. Another guy does the same thing, and before you know it, it's out of control.

I should also disclaim that I'm one of those crazy FSF people, so my views are very much admittedly biased.

Nah, not crazy. I'm very similar to you, but I believe FSF is an opt-in, not a universal requirement.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
Because IC2 was in forced feature freeze for over a year. Alblaka, the original author, basically went AWOL but didn't leave permission to change anything without his OK. The maintainers could only update the codebase to each new version of Minecraft, nothing more. As a result the mechanics were becoming archaic and not taking advantage of newer developments.

That's also why there's this sudden frenzy with IC2 experimental. Now that permission has been obtained (Alblaka apparently stopped caring entirely and signed himself off of the project), a lot of long-needed improvements can finally take place.

now that explains a lot. it somehow reminds me of RP2.

but now, what would be better for us players than a bunch of modders who are eager to implement new ideas?
okay, first they need to implement mechanics that are widely regarded as standard. then let's see what will happen...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Yeah, but the tech/power needed to break bedrock is somewhat insane, and there's machines far scarier than bedrock tools/armour in that mod.
(Also steamcraft [discontinued] had etherium tools- a rare gem that sometimes spawns in diamond, those things were unbreakable too)
But honestly- how 'different' is that to the IC2 drill?
Yeah- uses power to make it go fast, but if you run out of juice then you can still use it like a pick. Feels like stone-tool speed.

Kinda feel sorry for Risugami- it feels like he's been pushed out by FML.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
This makes me laugh like I'm mad >: D
o6ygQrd.png