The City of Industry

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
The City of Industry

"The point isn't to do things the most efficient way possible.
It's to do things the most awesome way possible."
- Narcisism, staff member.

*NEWS SECTION*
  • 18 dec - We are still awaiting the release of RP2 before we can start for real. In the meantime we have moved our conversations from the limiting conversation system of this very forum, to another forum. Feel free to drop by, to see and engage in our discussions. Please respect the rules we have set up. You can find the link below.
  • 18 dec - Our recruitment of staff members is now closed. We currently have a staff of eight, which is a good number as well as it is the current player cap on our server.
  • Feel free to drop by at our very own forum, to see and engage in our daily conversations.
  • Feel free to join our IRC channel: #CityOfIndustry (esper.net, and caps sensitive).
Greetings!​
I'm called Tompa and I am the current team leader on a city build project. The city will be of modern and industrious architecture with several industrious buildings. The main goal of the project is to make a good looking city, that combine the different mods of the FTB pack. We want to combine good design, aesthetics and architecture, together with the functionality of the many mods. The difference from a regular one player project would be the size and the planning behind it. Along with the obvious functionality, added by all the mods, we are aiming to use design, architecture, not only function.

I have day dreamed about this project for some time, and decided that I would not have time to create it on my own. Hence I am putting it out there, for others to join in.

Now that FTB is launched, we are looking for a server. So far we have planned out quite a lot of what we want to build, both in chats and on a test server. We will use all mods and their components, but mods such as Railcraft, RP2, Buildcraft, Forestry and IC2 will play the biggest parts of the project. For example, the choice of transportation of resources between buildings will almost solely be taken care of by Railcraft.

The staff currently mainly consists of those who know the mods very well. I am therefor calling out to those with an extra touch of design and aesthetics in their fingertips. I am looking for someone that obviously knows the mods very well, but also frowns upon 9x9s, so to say (*winks at DW*), due to its lack of interesting design. I want someone that can come up with good architectural ideas and designs. To contact me for more information, or if you are interested, PM me on those forums, please. Alternatively you could join us on our IRC channel #CityOfIndustry (esper.net), and talk to us there.

This section will be something of a teaser. Our main building in the city, will be called The Needle. Its inspiration comes from Wayne Tower (Batman movies) and Stark Tower (Iron Man/Avengers). The Needle will first off be where we make most of our crafting and mineral handling. Secondly, the tower acts like a supplier of energy and water supplies as well as junction for the rail system. In the top of the tower, there will be a Nuclear reactor, which will act as a first main supplier of energy, for the city. These resources will then be transported by carts, with lots of support from Railcraft.

The main hall of The Needle
20120927164528.png

The Nuclear Reactor floor, with some neat design.
20120927164635.png

I picture of the Nuclear Reactor.
20120927164642.png

The Needle "herself". The roof is not yet finished, but the main shape
20120927164516.png

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
Hey :) I'm Narcisism (if you can't read to the right a bit for some reason). I own the server that we are currently test building on, and my (cue) key, my one key, and my three key are all mostly broken :p

The server isn't the greatest, but it can support the 6 of us plus mods well enough. I'll be helping with fitting pretty buildings with the mods, and my biggest strength is probably Forestry, so I'll be working with that a lot. :)

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
Rhinehart_--Staff
Resident: not really sure ive done some programming, some auto breeders, a couple reactor designs, mostly miscellanious awesome. :D

i know pretty much all the mods, feel forestry machines are OP so i do CC and RP over Forestry, though i fell in love with the bees so i cant play without it, new to programming though i feel i have a knack for it. oh and the only logs i use are spruce.... :D

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Stanekk -- Staff

Me, I am a astethic builder, who is able to build pretty nice machines, i played around with the new reactors as well and hope for RP to update. My main focus is on redpower builds, as its needed for almost every automation. I'm working myself into railcraft atm, as I'm not so experienced with it.

Thats it for me for now =)

PoReGe

Jul 29, 2019
PoReGe ---- Staff

Oh boy, i lost my account with this reset of the forum. But here i am guyz ! xD

Tompa, the design of the needle so far seems very nice, i hope that u can build this template at our server so we can check it out better.

Im working on a design of a PowerPlant that uses renewable resources in my test world, and tonight i will post some pictures of it and i will build part of the Barn that im using for hosting the powerplant on the server, so you can help me with the design.

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
PoReGe said:
PoReGe ---- Staff

Tompa, the design of the needle so far seems very nice, i hope that u can build this template at our server so we can check it out better.

Im working on a design of a PowerPlant that uses renewable resources in my test world, and tonight i will post some pictures of it and i will build part of the Barn that im using for hosting the powerplant on the server, so you can help me with the design.

Well, i wont build it again on the test server, manually. We'll do it with builders :p We have to wait for RP to port first though. Most of the blocks used are marble, so yeah.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, we should go with the builders, though i ask myself if they are transferable from 1.2.5 SSP to 1.3.2 SMP ?!

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing that doesnt fit is the name "Needle" as its not really a needle. Recognized it just now. We should think of something else thats sounds cool =)

PoReGe

Jul 29, 2019
Tompa974 said:
PoReGe said:
PoReGe ---- Staff

Well, i wont build it again on the test server, manually. We'll do it with builders :p We have to wait for RP to port first though. Most of the blocks used are marble, so yeah.

No, not manually, with builders i mean. =]

I build all my barn inside of a Land Mark selection, then when i change something inside it, i already make a new blueprint xD

EDIT: I taked some screenshots for what i have so far in my testworld.

Im building 2 versions of my Barn, one with and other without the roof. (For better spot the things inside the barn, sunlight is always better than torchs).
6Cww6.png

rrYR9.png

Konfv.jpg

ZTztu.png

On second barn im trying to do the default layout of each chamber that we will have inside of it.
This two squares are running peat bog machines, and im testing two versions, one with normal pipes to gather and supply the resources to the machines, and other using logistic pipes.

fb4E2.png

rwEtj.png

i will try to build those on the Server for u can see what i did so far.
P.S: Credits for this build for Jagthunder, i saw this design on his channel and made some changes on size and blocks.

See you guyz.

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
though ive never been partial to wool being used for anything other than the floor this build does look pretty good, i would like to suggest however that you add some half slabs on the eaves of the roof, or perhaps upside down stairs, in my experience it always looks better that way,

and if you want sunlight there are several ways to get that in while still having the roof, half slabs, microblocks and i think facades all transmit light values through them so you coul use them as the ceiling though at night you would still need to light up the inside, remember this will be legit so we will have night as well as day,

oh i love the dark wood :thumbsup:

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Great barn you built there :) i will try to copy my bee breeding house on the server while doubling the size of ist to make it fit to the other buildings. We should then be able to make the blueprints without problems. Then we would See the needed materials :)

Im very excited now to build again though i had a tough week. Next week im at a seminar Five days. But After that a week of holiday. Hope redpower is out then :p

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
I really like that barn design. I'm just thinking of ways on how to "modernize" it slightly more. It wouldn't really fit in the same surroundings as the Needle.

And yeah, we maybe should switch to a name that is more appropriate :p

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Tompa974 said:
I really like that barn design. I'm just thinking of ways on how to "modernize" it slightly more. It wouldn't really fit in the same surroundings as the Needle.

And yeah, we maybe should switch to a name that is more appropriate :p

We could set ist up a Bit further outside the town ;) as a Little village in Front of the town. So ist wouldnt Need alot of modernization but a few solar.

And for the name i thought of sth. from the first or last letters of our names :)

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
Stanekk said:
We could set ist up a Bit further outside the town ;) as a Little village in Front of the town. So ist wouldnt Need alot of modernization but a few solar.

And for the name i thought of sth. from the first or last letters of our names :)

Yeah, that could work, I guess. But then we lose a building within the city, which makes it look less filled up. Also, the barns would be the only building in this "village", which would also look quite weird.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Tompa974 said:
Yeah, that could work, I guess. But then we lose a building within the city, which makes it look less filled up. Also, the barns would be the only building in this "village", which would also look quite weird.

I dont know if itd really look empty as it isnt structured yet, right? And it shouldnt be Hard to find sth New for the barnard if we'd make them outside the city.

And we should Build something out there as well. Something more about Farming and such as thats rarely found in an industrial city.

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
Stanekk said:
Tompa974 said:

I dont know if itd really look empty as it isnt structured yet, right? And it shouldnt be Hard to find sth New for the barnard if we'd make them outside the city.

And we should Build something out there as well. Something more about Farming and such as thats rarely found in an industrial city.

Well, both the Bee District and the Forestry building would then need to be outside the city, if "they don't fit the theme". That means that we'll have two less buildings that would be in the city. The thing is that we don't have that many buildings to start with.

Calling it a city is an exaggeration really. So far we'll only have seven buildings. That is scarce as it is. Now, taking away two buildings would make it worse. We don't have any plans to build empty buildings to fill the gaps of the city. I will not do it, anyway :p Also, I don't want to have to travel too far between each building/district.

Another note on those barns, and forestry machines: I don't think it is fitting to not let those growing plants, etc., get sunlight. I kinda imagined the Forestry district to be big and open, with a few buildings that binds the district together. We could use one of those barns, in a smaller scale, for where Carts would pick up all the products, for example. If we used a smaller version, it would even fit with the other buildings. It would be a shame not to use the building, cus it looks amazing.